Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideas for video surveillance

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 10:09 AM
logan09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas for video surveillance

Well I guess I'll start off saying I live at an apartment complex. I took a job in another state a year and a half ago and just rented an apartment until I could decide whether I wanted to stay and work here or not. Now I'm looking for a good house but no such luck so far.

Anyways, these *******s at the apartment like to park close to anyone. I have my Z and a Mercury Cougar parked out in front of my apartment with the Z at the end enclosed by my cougar as to avoid door dings on the Z. My neighbors park a few spaces down and are really respectful and he's a cool guy so no problems there.

Now, there are random people who like to park so F'n close I am constantly finding new dings in my cougar. I have found almost 5 total in the past couple of months. Now the cougar isn't anything special but I like to keep my stuff looking nice and the blatant disrespect of some people just pisses me off to no end. Also, while I take my cougar to work my Z is exposed leaving me to worry all day while at work.

Until I can get a house or possibly a video system to find out who these ****** are that keep doing this, can I do this legally.......

Tape a piece of paper inside my window on my Z saying "This vehicle is under video surveillance due to several dents on my other car happening, hit this car with your door and I will hit your car with a baseball bat"

Or I could change the hitting their car with a bat part into "turn it into your insurance along with video proof"

Would this make people stop and think for a second before opening their door or do you guys think that this would just open more problems?
Old 05-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Scott C

There's nothing illegal about putting up the sign but do you really think that someone who is hitting your car with their door is going to pay attention to a sign? Also, it's just going to invite more abuse from some a**hole wanting to make a point particularly if you mention the baseball bat. I would suggest that you find an alternative such as parking on the end and moving to the far side of the space to leave as much room as possible.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:24 AM
350zsunshinefl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazon.com: OUTDOOR FAKE / DUMMY SECURITY CAMERA w/ Blinking Light (Silver): Camera & Photo Amazon.com: OUTDOOR FAKE / DUMMY SECURITY CAMERA w/ Blinking Light (Silver): Camera & Photo

this is all you need, put it up somewhere that can be obviously seen, it had a red blinking light just like the real deal - they will think twice.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:05 PM
stuartc323

You might have to just bite the bullet, Your asking for trouble with that sign, i can promise that, you put up that sign and curiosity is gonna get the better of some *******s but that dummy camera might work unless your really trying to catch these guys.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Dealsgap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Try moving to an elderly condo/housing area

I was in the same boat as you were about 1 year ago as after two years of unemployement I also found another job in another state. My 1st priority as yours was to look for an apartment. I kept the Z in mind as I would be driving it so I focused on apartments with single floors (less cars) or a duplex.
I settled on a single story apartment in/near "elderly" condo housing as most of those in the area are over 55 and really respect others stuff.
I don't drive the Z that much as I drive my 94 Maxima (220,000 wonderful miles and still going strong) but when I do the lanes at the complex are really wide and its pretty hard to hit your neighbors car unless you park far to one side on another.
As I said my strategy paid off and the z goes really well with the other senior citizen rides and gets a lot of good comments. So far I've had absolutely no problems with it...

Last edited by Dealsgap; 05-20-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:28 PM
sk8r776

I would put a camera up. Catch whoever does it. Then kick their quarter panel in.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You can set a nail trap like what I did to some teachers in my high school. Or you can leave a note on their car whenever they are parked next to it.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:50 PM
JeffJohnries

Originally Posted by Jah70
You can set a nail trap like what I did to some teachers in my high school. Or you can leave a note on their car whenever they are parked next to it.
Nail Trap?
Old 05-20-2013, 07:55 PM
PlainWhite350z

The sign would likely cause more problems than it would prevent. The way I see it, you've got 2 options with the camera angle:

1) Deterrence- as suggested, get a very obvious dummy camera type device. Put it in a spot that will be seen for sure and hope it stops the problem.

2) Enforcement- get a discreet method of video recording if possible. I had a similar problem in my last apartment. I was on the front of the building, so my window overlooked the parking spots. I got a relatively cheap USB camera (get the highest resolution you want to afford, with a built in night vision feature, which is more common and affordable than you'd think). I ran a powered USB extension cable from my desktop to the front window and mounted the camera where I could point it at my car. I downloaded a free program that would record video using motion detection... the video would only be saved if something in the frame was moving. If nothing was wrong with my car, I'd delete the video before it took up too much space on the hard drive. If something did happen to my car, I'd sift through the files and find the culprit. I never ended up catching anyone, but if anything had happened, I'd have gotten it.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:57 PM
logan09

Originally Posted by Dealsgap
I was in the same boat as you were about 1 year ago as after two years of unemployement I also found another job in another state. My 1st priority as yours was to look for an apartment. I kept the Z in mind as I would be driving it so I focused on apartments with single floors (less cars) or a duplex.
I settled on a single story apartment in/near "elderly" condo housing as most of those in the area are over 55 and really respect others stuff.
I don't drive the Z that much as I drive my 94 Maxima (220,000 wonderful miles and still going strong) but when I do the lanes at the complex are really wide and its pretty hard to hit your neighbors car unless you park far to one side on another.
As I said my strategy paid off and the z goes really well with the other senior citizen rides and gets a lot of good comments. So far I've had absolutely no problems with it...

As a matter of fact this place is riddled with old people lol. It seems as though my whole section is younger people though. The apartments here are also all ground level.

I took the chance today and wrote up a note and stuck it in my window. After work I came home to see that literally nobody was parked around me and my car is safe and sound. That's very unusual as there's usually always one person parking close to me, so perhaps my note worked. I do need to get out of here for sure I know that, my poor Cougar has taken quite the beating as a shield for my Z.

Thanks for the idea of the usb camera PlainWhite. I would have a perfect view out my window to get their plate, face, and all. I may have to look into that

Last edited by logan09; 05-20-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:56 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are good with computers/ networks you can set up your own security/ motion cams with network cameras. Hell I can even stream the video feed to my phone
Old 05-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Blu Hvn

A friend went to Walmart and bought a motion activated, battery operated video camera. It was in the sporting goods section and is the one hunters put out at night to track deer. With it he had a guy on camera breaking into his house!! The only maintenance it needs is replacing the batteries and maybe deleting/clearing the memory card.

Something like this maybe....http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bushnell-1.../17038285?_mm=
Old 05-22-2013, 07:24 PM
WTFMike

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Rent a storage unit that is big enough to park your Z in and leave it there. When you want to drive it just swap it out for your DD. It is a bit of a hassle but your Z will be safe.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:58 PM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by WTFMike
Rent a storage unit that is big enough to park your Z in and leave it there. When you want to drive it just swap it out for your DD. It is a bit of a hassle but your Z will be safe.
I actually like this idea a lot, if you can afford this op i would rather do this instead
Old 05-23-2013, 03:47 PM
WTFMike

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by stuartc323
I actually like this idea a lot, if you can afford this op i would rather do this instead
A friend of mine lives in an apartment and this is what he does. He has a built jeep wrangler that he only trailers. And it is big enough for the jeep and his trailer. It isn't convenient, but, he doesn't have to worry about anyone messing with it. Plus, it gives him plenty of space for when he has to pull the axles out of it and what not.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:56 AM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by WTFMike
A friend of mine lives in an apartment and this is what he does. He has a built jeep wrangler that he only trailers. And it is big enough for the jeep and his trailer. It isn't convenient, but, he doesn't have to worry about anyone messing with it. Plus, it gives him plenty of space for when he has to pull the axles out of it and what not.

Literally that sounds awesome, almost like a second garage if he has room to move around in it and he has a power hookup
Old 05-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Golden_Armz

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

if they DGAF about your car, they sure wont GAF about your sign! people will keep putting dents on your car, simply because they just don't give a **** about you or your car. no respect for themselves, so theres no way they will respect you! thank god im done living in apartments. just bought a house, and now my Z is peacefully sitting in the garage! good luck with the assh0les...