Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

When is modding a waste of money?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 11:19 AM
kaze06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Value is relative and not inherent. What is valuable to you, may not be valuable to me.

You make the call on your own when it becomes a "waste". I'd happily put 5-10 grand into my Z. Some guys have 30-40+ in theirs. Is that a waste for them? Clearly not.

Car modding isn't one of those things you can really analyze and try to get a solid answer. It isn't the stock market or a quarterly finance report. If you do the numbers and look at it as investing another $10,000 into a $10,000 vehicle and expecting no return on investment, it will obviously make little to no sense.

But the inner car-guy in you will tell you where the value comes from.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:45 PM
shadow191

It's a waste of money if you wish you had spent the money on something else and regret it. No hard dollar amount.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:58 PM
Jbakes727

It only depreciates the value of the car if you leave the mods on. Keep all your stock parts, then when it is time to sell return the car to stock(If you didn't go as far as a motor build). Sell it for what is worth and you can probably get about half your money back on your mods give or take.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:02 PM
abarclay

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by kaze06
Value is relative and not inherent. What is valuable to you, may not be valuable to me.

You make the call on your own when it becomes a "waste". I'd happily put 5-10 grand into my Z. Some guys have 30-40+ in theirs. Is that a waste for them? Clearly not.

Car modding isn't one of those things you can really analyze and try to get a solid answer. It isn't the stock market or a quarterly finance report. If you do the numbers and look at it as investing another $10,000 into a $10,000 vehicle and expecting no return on investment, it will obviously make little to no sense.

But the inner car-guy in you will tell you where the value comes from.
Excellent response.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Modding is a waste of money if you do it wrong and end-up getting parts that don't have ther desired affect.

However, if you do it right, it will put a smile on your face and possibly make you the envy of others which is all worth it, lol. We all need something to have a passion about and cars are one of the best venues for it.

For me, it was easy because I love cars, specifically Nissans so I knew that any car I bought, I was going to keep for life. I have 2 Nissans and an Infiniti now (technically, all Nissans). My Sentra is a '94. Probably has over 325,000 miles. My 350Z is turbocharged and still runs great and the Infiniti M45 I bought about 2 years ago. Anything I did to the cars isn't going to be a waste because I don't plan on selling them. If you are the same way, modding, done correctly, will never be a waste.

However, if you are on of those idiots that mods a leased car or you KNOW you will be selling it eventually, it will be obviously a waste from the start.

One last point I wish to mention as others have is to have a plan. I did waste money on many normally aspirated mods that were not compatible with my turbo system. I thought that I wouldn't be able to afford an FI system so I went ham on things like Greddy EVO dual exhausts, Nismo headers, Nismo cold air intake etc. All of it was a waste when I decided to go turbo. So thinking long-term, big picture is important.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:09 PM
saywat?

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

it becomes a waste of money when u cant pay ur bills
Old 12-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Toneloc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its all in what you want...cause anyone can look at someone elses hobby and say it is a waste of money..for example a monte carlo with a 6inch lift with 28inch wheels that cost more then the vehicle....stupid to 99% of people but cool to the few...

I also do believe when you have more money in the car then its actual value once you reach that threshold and you past it I hope you are all in and plan on keeping it forever.... I believe the 350z is a very ahead of its time iconic look and will never look outdated for another 20years or so....

Last edited by Toneloc; 12-12-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:39 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please,don't ask this question to my wife...
Old 12-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Significant modifications always lower the value of your car. That is simply because your car is more difficult and expensive to repair. Wise buyers never consider a car with significant modifications.

The exception is upgrading the car’s A/V system.

--Spike
Old 12-12-2013, 05:54 PM
NOLAGG

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I look at it like this , everyone spends their extra money on somthing . Whether it's going to target and being an electronic junky like my uncle , going to sneaker stores and waiting I line for a pair of shoes your going to never wear and just being ale to say "yea I have those " or do whT we do and get car parts to make our cars faster, better performing or just add junk that looks cool but with that not leaving out selves entirely broke ( which is hard usually when your young or on a budget ). But hey to each their own
Old 12-12-2013, 06:01 PM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu_Blur

However, if you are on of those idiots that mods a leased car or you KNOW you will be selling it eventually, it will be obviously a waste from the start.
Could I trouble you for a glass of .....STFU.

LOL, now that I got that out of the way who are you to say what is a waste? I mod my cars and I keep them on average 2 years. It may not be the most financially sound decision but neither is buying a car every 2 years. The fact of the matter is I'd be bored to death buying a car and keeping it stock. It may cost me thousands down the road when I go to sell it but at least I was happy during. It's all relative.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Mods give you the thrill of a “new car” without the expense.

Buying a new car costs a lot more than modifying your existing car. And, staging Mods over a period provide a continuous “new car experience.”

I love Mods for the pure enjoyment you get when revitalizing an existing car.

--Spike
Old 12-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Ser_Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you become a ricer haha

No, modding is amazing I don't think any of it can be a waste.

Its crazy how your car can show your personality and who you are from full race car to fitted or even in the middle (your preference).

With a little extra money and creativeness can make a huge difference from breaking necks to full out exorcism style lol

Mod till your heart is content and you have your perfect car/ vision for the car.

- Mike
Old 12-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Blu_Blur

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
Could I trouble you for a glass of .....STFU.

LOL, now that I got that out of the way who are you to say what is a waste? I mod my cars and I keep them on average 2 years. It may not be the most financially sound decision but neither is buying a car every 2 years. The fact of the matter is I'd be bored to death buying a car and keeping it stock. It may cost me thousands down the road when I go to sell it but at least I was happy during. It's all relative.
Who am I to say what is a waste of money?

This is a god damn thread on a car forum asking at what point is it a waste of money to mod your car and I have an opinion on it. That's who I am.

Of course it is all relative. If you can afford to do it with no significant impact on your life and still be able to buy your next dream car without too much financial hurt then more power to you.

Just as you reserve the right to continue some of your unsound decision-making, I will also reserve the right to say that modding a leased car is generally lame.

As a sidenote, if the mods aren't generally intrusive or of a large caliber (either financially or mechanically) such as sound system upgrade, air intake or whatever then that's cool but if you're buying superchargers, turbochargers, replacing and upgrading the suspension, new cams then that is when its really stupid for a leased car or a car that you know you will sell.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:48 PM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Who am I to say what is a waste of money?

This is a god damn thread on a car forum asking at what point is it a waste of money to mod your car and I have an opinion on it. That's who I am.

Well then be more clear when you first present you're argument because you come off as ignorant when you make absurd claims like calling people idiots.

Of course it is all relative. If you can afford to do it with no significant impact on your life and still be able to buy your next dream car without too much financial hurt then more power to you.
Yup.

Just as you reserve the right to continue some of your unsound decision-making, I will also reserve the right to say that modding a leased car is generally lame.

You can say whatever you want as this a free country. That doesn't always make it right.

As a sidenote, if the mods aren't generally intrusive or of a large caliber (either financially or mechanically) such as sound system upgrade, air intake or whatever then that's cool but if you're buying superchargers, turbochargers, replacing and upgrading the suspension, new cams then that is when its really stupid for a leased car or a car that you know you will sell.
Agreed and you might want to specify that next time but if people have the money to burn then who really cares right? The people who are idiots are the ones who can't afford it. Big difference.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Blu_Blur

Default I regret NOTHING

Well then be more clear when you first present you're argument because you come off as ignorant when you make absurd claims like calling people idiots.

Yup.

You can say whatever you want as this a free country. That doesn't always make it right.

Agreed and you might want to specify that next time but if people have the money to burn then who really cares right? The people who are idiots are the ones who can't afford it. Big difference.
Considering this was a thread where a person was asking if it was a waste of money to mod to a certain point, I read between the lines and knew that he is probably not of the same situation of yours so I wrote accordingly.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:54 PM
blue350zed

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll let you know when it becomes a waste when I get there, if I ever do. I could have bought a GT-R for what I've got invested in this thing, but don't regret a bit of it and still have a ton of stuff I want to do.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:06 PM
saywat?

^ u spent over $100k modding ur z? I doubt that.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:22 AM
radiocrash

Originally Posted by saywat?
^ u spent over $100k modding ur z? I doubt that.
hey, anything is possible haha. and he's got a pretty beastly build, I'm sure he spent a couple pennies.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:57 AM
stuartc323

Yup.

Honestly dude nobody really cares that you waste money modding cars that you give up in two years, he was responding to the question by OP with his opinion, just like its your opinion to think its ok to do what you want with your cars and money, and just like its ok for me to think your an absolute dumbass for spending money like that, no matter what your situation is.

Last edited by stuartc323; 12-13-2013 at 07:02 AM.

Quick Reply: When is modding a waste of money?