Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is modding a waste of money?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 07:03 AM
stuartc323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by saywat?
^ u spent over $100k modding ur z? I doubt that.

You should check out his build, I would absolutely say he probably could have bought a used GT-R
Old 12-13-2013, 07:15 AM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stuartc323
Honestly dude nobody really cares that you waste money modding cars that you give up in two years, he was responding to the question by OP with his opinion, just like its your opinion to think its ok to do what you want with your cars and money, and just like its ok for me to think your an absolute dumbass for spending money like that.
And somebody gives a fk what you think?

Also, why did you even respond to me with that petty response when I was in a way answering the OP's question? Did the puffing out of your chest make you feel better? It's dipchits like you who make this site what it is today. I'm not some noob making absurd claims so why the hostility? Maybe if you paid attention you would know that witty (errr, Blu Blur) and I have these battles all the time so your input was null and void from the jump.

Lastly, before you call someone a dumbass how about you not be a dumbass and use correct grammar? Now make like a tree, and get out of here.

FYI, this is just my opinion.

Last edited by AroundMyHorn; 12-13-2013 at 07:26 AM. Reason: second cup of coffee
Old 12-13-2013, 07:29 AM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
And somebody gives a fk what you think?

Also, why did you even respond to me with that petty response when I was in a way answering the OP's question? Did the puffing out of your chest make you feel better? It's dipchits like you who make this site what it is today. I'm not some noob, recognize fool. Maybe if you got the **** out of your face you would know that witty (errr, Blu Blur) and I have these battles all the time so your input was null and void from the jump.

Lastly, before you call someone a dumbass how about you not be a dumbass and use correct grammar? Now make like a tree, and get out of here.

FYI, this is just my opinion.
LOL how were you in a way answering OP's question? and idgaf if you have these spats with him, you're free to say what you want but it doesnt make it right remember?

You have nothing to say logically in reponse to me so you attack my grammar, mofugga this aint no college term paper and i aint writing in APA or MLA format, sit down with your fallacies, trying to deflect the fact that you're an idiot with a little bit of money. Im the dipchit, but you burn money on cars that you give up in two years, good luck with that.

and this is my opinion

Last edited by stuartc323; 12-13-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:36 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Any person with any financial sense will tell you that adding money to a depreciating asset which doesn't add any net value is a waste of money

But most of us don't care or are aware and make sure we mod sensibly
Old 12-13-2013, 07:40 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Modding in general is a complete waste of money. The question should be when is modding not a waste of money. With that said i wasted about 9K this past year!
Old 12-13-2013, 07:45 AM
AroundMyHorn

LOL how were you in a way answering OP's question? and idgaf if you have these spats with him, your free to say what you want but it doesnt make it right remember?
He asked if modding was a waste of money. I said I mod (lightly that is) my cars and get rid of them roughly every 2 years so that means in my situation I was saying no. However, just like many things, it comes down to someone's personal expenses and what they can manage. How do you not comprehend this?

You have nothing to say logically in reponse to me so you attack my grammar, mofugga this aint no college term paper, sit down with your fallacies, trying to deflect the fact that your an idiot with a little bit of money. Im the dipchit, but you burn money on cars that you give up in two years, good luck with that.

and this is my opinion
Well then tell me good sir, where did you say anything logical?

As for the grammar, of course we all make mistakes but that doesn't mean I won't call them out especially when questioning someones intelligence (for the last time, it's you're!)

I guess I just don't understand why you feel the need to throw out words like idiot as it just makes you look small and feeble. To each their own I guess.

As for going through cars, why the hell not? I like them and want to try out as many as I can as long as I'm on this earth. If that makes me an idiot then give me the crown.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:45 AM
AroundMyHorn

Originally Posted by Waizzz
Any person with any financial sense will tell you that adding money to a depreciating asset which doesn't add any net value is a waste of money

This.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:59 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do mods generally increase value, no.

So no it's not cost effective. When I searched for my z I specifically wanted something stock abd never been modded. Most true car people are like this as well.

Turbo or supercharged, books etc could add value to the right buyer.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:21 AM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by Waizzz

Absolutely agree Waizzz, sound financial decisions

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
He asked if modding was a waste of money. I said I mod (lightly that is) my cars and get rid of them roughly every 2 years so that means in my situation I was saying no. However, just like many things, it comes down to someone's personal expenses and what they can manage. How do you not comprehend this?

Well then tell me good sir, where did you say anything logical?

As for the grammar, of course we all make mistakes but that doesn't mean I won't call them out especially when questioning someones intelligence (for the last time, it's you're!)

I guess I just don't understand why you feel the need to throw out words like idiot as it just makes you look small and feeble. To each their own I guess.

As for going through cars, why the hell not? I like them and want to try out as many as I can as long as I'm on this earth. If that makes me an idiot then give me the crown.

Aight bro my bad, i guess i got a little bit oversealous, I do apologize, but hey man more power to you if thats your hobby, i guess because my job is to check the value of stocks and look for ways to save in companies my bank owns, so its just seems a little silly to me to mod like that. But as for the sentence in bold, I had to think about my own life and some of the things i enjoy with my money, so i definitely cant fault you for spending money on your cars if you can afford it, especially if it makes you happy, because i know how the mod bug is when it bites.

Last edited by stuartc323; 12-13-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:23 AM
DanQ

Received 227 Likes on 171 Posts

I typically don't mod my vehicles much. The exceptions are purpose oriented machines (track/race bike), and worn out/broken parts. But changing out a perfectly good "insert part here" for another one because of slight improvements in performance, or aesthetics; I try to avoid. An example would be worn out brakes replaced with better after market parts; not so bad.

Just my two cents. Opinions vary.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:34 AM
stuartc323

This is actually how i mod, when soemthing breaks i just replace it with a better part, unless its like an exhaust or plenum spacer or something of that nature
Old 12-13-2013, 08:41 AM
pss350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

..... When you replace OEM parts with any of the $hit made in China.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:47 AM
AroundMyHorn

Aight bro my bad, i guess i got a little bit oversealous, I do apologize, but hey man more power to you if thats your hobby, i guess because my job is to check the value of stocks and look for ways to save in companies my bank owns, so its just seems a little silly to me to mod like that. But as for the sentence in bold, I had to think about my own life and some of the things i enjoy with my money, so i definitely cant fault you for spending money on your cars if you can afford it, especially if it makes you happy, because i know how the mod bug is when it bites.

All good and word.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:50 AM
pss350z

This is actually how i mod, when soemthing breaks i just replace it with a better part, unless its like an exhaust or plenum spacer or something of that nature
^ best way to go about it. Something original breaks or wears out then replace with QUALITY aftermarket.

My 03 Mini Cooper S exhaust completely rotted out so I replaced with Alta (American made) aftermarket exhaust.... I may have paid 2.5x what i could have for something from China off ebay regardless of whether its of decent quality or not but i chose to keep my hard earned dollars in North Amerirca.... Off on a bit of a tangent
Old 12-13-2013, 09:09 AM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by radiocrash
At what point do you guys feel like modding becomes a waste? From the very start? After a certain threshold?

We all know that our cars depreciate over time and modding them effects their value even more...but we do it because we love the hobby.

I'm interested to hear everyone's input because I've been tossing around this thought in my head for some time.
I think it depends on your attitude, available income and how much you honestly are attached to your car, whatever it may be. Good investment money wise? Probably not. Also, how much is your "time" worth to you to spend mega hours working on your car? Many enthusiasts would rather be tinkering with their car than being out playing golf (expensive itself), etc. I see this local old time hot rod club in my city; the cars (40's-70's) are all immaculate; they have monthly meets here and these old timers are old school and you probably couldn't come close to putting a price on their cars/trucks that are show car quality.

I'd just say that it is up to you; do some homework and decide what you would like your Z to become, or stay bone stock, etc. Myself, I've spent a lot just this year and the past 5 mostly and now I just have a flywheel/clutch/csc combo on my check list, but I always loved my car and now that it's in the 400 rwhp range with an exhaust that sounds like a race car, I get a smile on my face when I get on a freeway ramp, get compliments and it's nice to know that now I can deal with a lot of real muscle cars if I want and it's a gas to drive on the open road/canyons compared to stock, even though my '07 HR was quick total stock. So yes you can invest a ton of $$ into your car that like Waizzz said depreciates by the year and may not be a great investment, but if you get joy and an increased heart beat after a good run, then it is what it is. Ok, I'll shut up haha!

Last edited by BigBlue; 12-13-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:38 AM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by pss350z
^ best way to go about it. Something original breaks or wears out then replace with QUALITY aftermarket.

My 03 Mini Cooper S exhaust completely rotted out so I replaced with Alta (American made) aftermarket exhaust.... I may have paid 2.5x what i could have for something from China off ebay regardless of whether its of decent quality or not but i chose to keep my hard earned dollars in North Amerirca.... Off on a bit of a tangent

Well also usually OEM parts cost about the same or more, so why not upgrade?
Old 12-13-2013, 09:45 AM
laurentj23

When you have other priorities. Get married, buy a home, kids, ect ect.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:49 AM
radiocrash

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlue
I'd just say that it is up to you; do some homework and decide what you would like your Z to become, or stay bone stock, etc. Myself, I've spent a lot just this year and the past 5 mostly and now I just have a flywheel/clutch/csc combo on my check list, but I always loved my car and now that it's in the 400 rwhp range with an exhaust that sounds like a race car, I get a smile on my face when I get on a freeway ramp, get compliments and it's nice to know that now I can deal with a lot of real muscle cars if I want and it's a gas to drive on the open road/canyons compared to stock, even though my '07 HR was quick total stock. So yes you can invest a ton of $$ into your car that like Waizzz said depreciates by the year and may not be a great investment, but if you get joy and an increased heart beat after a good run, then it is what it is. Ok, I'll shut up haha!
This is a great point. I'm not someone who has tons of hobbies but cars have always been the one I appreciate the most. There's always a grin on my face when I goose it through a tunnel or onto the highway. Those kinds of experiences (among others) make the hobby worth the expense.

That and every time the UPS guy shows up with parts and I turn into an 8 year old girl on christmas morning.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:33 PM
SHILOW

Originally Posted by laurentj23
When you have other priorities. Get married, buy a home, kids, ect ect.
This ^^^^^

If you are sacrificing your family or your ability to mod yourself into a better version.

You should Mod yourself more than your car.

Mental Physical Spiritual. Improving your possesions can fool you into believing that you are improving and you are actually stagnant.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

The long answer: It becomes a waste when the vacuous and subjective return in satisfaction and happiness that you receive from modding does not meet or exceed the also subjective equivalent monetary sacrifice.

The short answer: its a waste

Quick Reply: When is modding a waste of money?