MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   2003 350z Trade (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/594427-2003-350z-trade.html)

donaldewalker3 05-29-2014 11:33 AM

2003 350z Trade

Hey guys, I'm lurking on these forums and now looking for some assistance. I currently drive a really nice, clean e46 330i and a guy here in town would like to trade for his 350z. It's a touring 6MT with 112k on the clock. I've always had a love for 350z/G35 with a preference to the 350 side. I'm just wondering what I need to look for on this car specifically. He's said the brakes are new, original clutch and "upgraded suspension". Now I'm no slouch in the automotive world and have put extensive work into my car to make it pristine.
I'm kind of a headlight/tail light whore and want to also know if it's possible to retrofit the newer lights into the older cars without a lot of modification, or if a TRS retrofit would be the best idea.
Just help an enthusiast out!
DonaldE

I do all my own mechanical repairs as well. Thought I'd add that.

dcains 05-29-2014 11:57 AM

Maybe the year, and some pics would help? The newer lights are easily affixed to the older cars, but they're not cheap. Lots of junk suspension pieces out there, so find out what's there, too. Finally, read the "Top 100 FAQs" here.

donaldewalker3 05-29-2014 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by dcains (Post 10398747)
Maybe the year, and some pics would help? The newer lights are easily affixed to the older cars, but they're not cheap. Lots of junk suspension pieces out there, so find out what's there, too. Finally, read the "Top 100 FAQs" here.

Yeah, I actually just read all 3 pages of it. I posted the year in the thread title and the pics I have are on my phone because they are via text. It's a White 03 enthusiast with heated leather and a 6MT and is all factory. It has a little damage on the front driver side QP where it meets the bumper and I believe the HL is cracked.

donaldewalker3 05-29-2014 12:31 PM

Dang,
Going to meet the guy tonight with title in hand. Hope to get some answers. Aside from fluids, what parts are prone to fail on this car that I would be silly not to replace immediately after trading?

Zmandriving 05-29-2014 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by donaldewalker3 (Post 10398772)
Dang,
Going to meet the guy tonight with title in hand. Hope to get some answers. Aside from fluids, what parts are prone to fail on this car that I would be silly not to replace immediately after trading?

Check the subframe differential bushing. If you see streaks of black silicone on the rear subframe the differential bushings is blown.

donaldewalker3 05-29-2014 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Zmandriving (Post 10398810)
Check the subframe differential bushing. If you see streaks of black silicone on the rear subframe the differential bushings is blown.

Sound advice. I've been reading about the 03 trannys being pretty notorious for grinding. Will the be as obvious when the car has been driven to meet me or only noticeable when cold? I plan on hot rodding it during the test drive to ensure it can hold up to anything I may throw at it in the near future until I can build it to my liking.

frocker93 05-29-2014 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Landon_G03z (Post 10398833)
That's on the 350 tech forum idk why it did that

We aren't allowed to link to them.

bith8791 05-29-2014 03:17 PM

There are a lot of things you should look for especially since it's a 2003, I haven't read the guide that Landon_G03z speaks of but you should read over it, it doesn't sound like a fair trade in my opinion especially if your BMW is as nice as you say it is.

xman2yman 05-29-2014 08:12 PM

I have an 03 touring 6mt and it has about 106k on it. I have never had any real issues with this car. Now mine is not stock but for the most part is. I recently had an issue where the oil pressure unit is no longer reading properly so it states that oil psi is at full pressure so I need to replace that. other than regular items nothing serious has happen, unlike the prior e39 I had which has a new headache every week.

allshownogo 05-29-2014 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Zmandriving (Post 10398810)

from my understanding, this is actually quite common on the Z and based on reading through the forums, it's not a big deal? i noticed mine about a year ago and not sure when it happened, but i haven't noticed anything different.

OP, other than the obvious stuff to look for, ask for maintenance records. ask for a carfax, although i wouldn't solely rely on this report, as there could be minor things that didn't make it on there. i would take a laser scanner that measures the thickness of the paint and scan the car. if one part of the car has thicker layer of paint than the rest, then something probably happened in that particular spot. and check the undercarriage to see if the owner bottomed-out the car.

Koolsilver 05-31-2014 11:12 AM

The 3rd gear grind is very common and I would almost go in expecting to have some type of grind; the amount of grind that is acceptable is up to you. Personally my 03 has a very minor grind that can be 100% avoided with proper shifting technique so I am happy with it. Also you will probably hear a kind of grinding noise from the tranny which would most likely be the throw out bearing or flywheel, verify it is one of these by pushing in the clutch if it goes away it is one of those issues which again is common. Other than those issues just check it over like any used car and make an educated decision on it.

For the lights, I too am kind of light whore. I replaced my 03 OEM HID with 06+ headlights that I retrofitted with ironman rings as well as STI lenses and Osram CBI bulbs. They look amazing but course all of that did cost me a pretty penny. For a straight 06+ swap it is decently straight forward especially if you get the wiring harness, I didn't have the wiring harness so I had to do a bit of wiring work but nothing crazy.

FairladyBlue 05-31-2014 04:35 PM

so how did it go? did you get it? please update the thread with review and pics if possible...

donaldewalker3 06-02-2014 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by FairladyBlue (Post 10399827)
so how did it go? did you get it? please update the thread with review and pics if possible...

The car was thrashed. It was covered in go pro mounts from his track visits, had been hit in the front and needed a hood, headlight, quarter panel and bumper. The brakes were shot and the interior was trashed. I was sad to have even wasted my time with this. He was just a punk kid looking for better looking car to race. He kept asking how sporty my car was, the hp, etc. I'm still on the hunt! They are rare to be clean around here but hopefully I can find the right one.

WSchli1672 06-03-2014 06:14 PM

Man that's was a burn.....glad you didn't get that one.
When looking, always check maintenance records upkeep. Repair history. Check front to rear on side for any unusual indents (indicates possible accident repair). Check underneath for oil or water puddles. Look at engine for any color change or spots (possible overheated), have a check done by a reputable garage on the engine. I have a 350Z, which I bought brand new and have never had an issue with mine at all. I've modded it a few years back and it runs smooth as a hot knife through warm butter. Don't rush into a quick deal, but take your time and ask questions. Good Luck on your hunt.