Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What else can I do? (Wheel Hop)

Old 06-06-2014, 02:44 PM
jg021v

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Wheel Shop

Originally Posted by Maffs10
When I bought my car I don't ever remember having wheel hop, not even the slightest bit. I got whiteline diff bushings, didn't go away.. than changed out my rear sub frame bushings for sikky solid ones, still nothing. I know they have a diff brace which is supposed to help eliminate it but I was sure changing the bushings was going to do it. What could be the cause of this? I have hankook v12s and the rears are at 35 psi, could dropping in down to like low 30s help with the wheel hop?
Have you tried to balance your wheels?
Old 06-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Dajersyrat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) What suspension do you have?

2) Are the rear bushing solid aluminum or polyurethane?

3) Are you dumping the clutch instead of slipping it slightly then letting it out?

4) do you have some retarded camber?
Old 06-13-2014, 01:13 AM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
Yea the roads are garbage in NY. I can't wait to move to FL next year.

I know what your talking about with the slickness in the rain in FL, last year I was in my rental Chevy Cruz and went to turn into a gas station and understeered almost right into the embankment. It was so weird because I wasn't going fast or anything. Really caught me off guard and scared the crap out of me.

The road up here are SO different from the roads in FL. So many bumps, unevenness, potholes, different road materials on the same road in different sections. I blame winters and more importantly the unions since they make more money patching roads rather than redoing them. It is the same holes created year after year. In fact this winter was so bad I barely drove my Z until they did major repairs. I am talking about jaw chattering roads that you just drive down and curse the entire way.
wow, thats terrible, dont get me wrong we have somee roads like that as well, but the majority of them are pretty clean... and to think i thought our roads were s*** this whole time...

ill never go to NY now though XD

but the roads are slick here to the point i went to just drift a bit and id say i had a bit of oversteer and drifted too hard and did about a 240, with the force it was sliding with i figured id keep spinning all the way around so i let off the gas to let it complete the spin but it did go quite all the way around, and then it fish-tailed on me completing the 360 and almost started to spin out again XD
Old 06-13-2014, 03:46 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Little side note, not trying to launch my car, I can do that fine. It's just when I'm having some fun and trying to peel out or do a burnout. Dropping the clutch always leads to wheel hop and not just clean wheel spin.
I agree that you need to learn what you are doing. BUT I do understand that you are explaining that something has changed on your car -right? (this is the only reason that this discussion should continue is if something changed, otherwise it is YOU that is causing the problem)

The reason the wheels hop is because you accelerate heavy, the rear toe is changing under load, breaking traction, loosing forward momentum, relaxing the toe change then repeats the whole cycle.

If you are shocking the drivetrain and they hop it would have possibly not hopped if you dumped it at a higher rpm IF you just want some spin/smoke for fun. Also there are more subtle ways of accelerating maximum amount than clutch dumping - but you don't get tire spin. The list of driver error and number of conditions including tire temp, condition of the road etc. is too numerous to ever start a meaningful debate on the internet.

**If you expect it to go away with your same driver input check the suspension arms in the back that effect toe for worn bushings.

I don't know why some of the things listed in this thread are being brought up. Some of the parts purchased seem unrelated to the problem. I think some people's experience was a coincidence. When I look at the list of things you already changed, I would not expect any of them to help you.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:48 AM
FOOKhonda

^^^^ and i do believe thats the experts chiming in...

at least sounds like it to me :O
Old 06-13-2014, 03:14 PM
l2frankie

i get wheel hop all the time. just in daily driving happens alot if i press the pedal just a tad bit more then a grandma
Old 06-15-2014, 10:05 PM
Broseph Stalin

My friends taught me how to do a burnout before I went to a drag strip the other day. I would get wheel hop if my rpms were too low, but it would go away if I just revved it up some more. This may be a dumb suggestion but maybe trying giving it more gas? The hopping is your trying to catch traction and they just may not be spinning fast enough to get that "smooth" burnout.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:17 PM
Zruralracer

+1 on the rain thing though I only get it in first, it usually hooks up in second after a little spin even if I gun it.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:41 AM
Maffs10

Originally Posted by Broseph Stalin
My friends taught me how to do a burnout before I went to a drag strip the other day. I would get wheel hop if my rpms were too low, but it would go away if I just revved it up some more. This may be a dumb suggestion but maybe trying giving it more gas? The hopping is your trying to catch traction and they just may not be spinning fast enough to get that "smooth" burnout.
What do you drop the clutch at? I usually rev it up to like 3500 4000. With my 4.08 gears I feel like that should be plenty
Old 06-16-2014, 03:32 AM
FOOKhonda

wow, i didnt think itd be that hard for some of you to spin tires.. in a z..
i have an auto and ill just punch the gas and spin tires, when the roads are even slightly wet i can hit the gas while doing 45 and itll try to slide me sideways.

honestly, i think you just need to hit the gas harder...
either that or you still need to turn off your tcs...

ive literally spun tires into 3rd gear and about half-way through, until i let off the gas, on veryyy slight wet roads, on complete dry roads, best ive gotten was about mid-2nd gear
Old 06-16-2014, 04:52 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

1 more thought. When did you buy your car? If you recently got it and since your a fellow New Yorker, the tires spin MUCH easier in colder conditions. Now that it is warmer my tires are much more stickier.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:53 PM
Broseph Stalin

What do you drop the clutch at? I usually rev it up to like 3500 4000. With my 4.08 gears I feel like that should be plenty
Yeah that should be plenty.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:07 AM
TonyZ33

I have an 03 Z. When I first bought the car it didn't wheel hop at all. Then I bought new wheels, V12 evo tires, and eibach sportline springs (stock shocks). That's when the wheel hop started for me, and it was badddd. I just recently installed Koni yellow adjustable shocks, and now all my wheel hop is gone. So for me the problem was my stock shocks on lowering springs.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:03 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this really a thread on wheel hop from 230-240whp Zs?

Search this Thread