MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   What else can I do? (Wheel Hop) (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/594630-what-else-can-i-do-wheel-hop.html)

Maffs10 06-04-2014 07:48 PM

What else can I do? (Wheel Hop)

When I bought my car I don't ever remember having wheel hop, not even the slightest bit. I got whiteline diff bushings, didn't go away.. than changed out my rear sub frame bushings for sikky solid ones, still nothing. I know they have a diff brace which is supposed to help eliminate it but I was sure changing the bushings was going to do it. What could be the cause of this? I have hankook v12s and the rears are at 35 psi, could dropping in down to like low 30s help with the wheel hop?

winchman 06-04-2014 10:06 PM

Maybe you could learn how to drive.

Maffs10 06-04-2014 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by winchman (Post 10402347)

Little side note, not trying to launch my car, I can do that fine. It's just when I'm having some fun and trying to peel out or do a burnout. Dropping the clutch always leads to wheel hop and not just clean wheel spin.

FOOKhonda 06-05-2014 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by winchman (Post 10402347)

definitely +1

c'mon man i have an auto and can roast them til it hits 3rd gear, sometimes further

must say id have to blame it on the driving bro, never heard of someone having problems with wheel hop inna Z.....

SQuaLZ 06-05-2014 02:15 AM

Are you doing this on the street? I would say a mixture or driver error along with the crappy roads in NY might be the biggest cause. I sometimes get wheel hop in mine, but usually it is in rainy conditions.

POS VETT 06-05-2014 03:07 AM

What conditions are your engine and transmission mounts?

FOOKhonda 06-05-2014 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ (Post 10402377)
Are you doing this on the street? I would say a mixture or driver error along with the crappy roads in NY might be the biggest cause. I sometimes get wheel hop in mine, but usually it is in rainy conditions.

really? ive never had wheel hop, i live in Florida, and when it rains here all you get is fish-tailing and sliding if you hit the gas harder than driving like a grandma lol

Destroyeron 06-05-2014 04:26 AM

Mine seems to only occur in the rain as well. Weird.

travlee 06-05-2014 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Maffs10 (Post 10402352)
Little side note, not trying to launch my car, I can do that fine. It's just when I'm having some fun and trying to peel out or do a burnout. Dropping the clutch always leads to wheel hop and not just clean wheel spin.

i get a clean spin.... the only time mine hops on me is if crap road, but only happened once

Maffs10 06-05-2014 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by FOOKhonda (Post 10402373)
definitely +1

c'mon man i have an auto and can roast them til it hits 3rd gear, sometimes further

must say id have to blame it on the driving bro, never heard of someone having problems with wheel hop inna Z.....

I have 4.08 gears, trust me spinning them isn't the issue

Zmandriving 06-05-2014 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by FOOKhonda (Post 10402384)
really? ive never had wheel hop, i live in Florida, and when it rains here all you get is fish-tailing and sliding if you hit the gas harder than driving like a grandma lol

x2 got that same problem when it rains.

SQuaLZ 06-05-2014 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by FOOKhonda (Post 10402384)

Yea the roads are garbage in NY. I can't wait to move to FL next year.

I know what your talking about with the slickness in the rain in FL, last year I was in my rental Chevy Cruz and went to turn into a gas station and understeered almost right into the embankment. It was so weird because I wasn't going fast or anything. Really caught me off guard and scared the crap out of me.

The road up here are SO different from the roads in FL. So many bumps, unevenness, potholes, different road materials on the same road in different sections. I blame winters and more importantly the unions since they make more money patching roads rather than redoing them. It is the same holes created year after year. In fact this winter was so bad I barely drove my Z until they did major repairs. I am talking about jaw chattering roads that you just drive down and curse the entire way.

Tenacious T 06-05-2014 09:23 AM

^^ yeah, it's REALLY bad in central and northern NY, SQuaLZ, the winter this year was brutal up here... the constant expansion and contraction from freezing and thawing made a real mess of the roads...

Maffs10 06-05-2014 10:57 AM

Yeah street/parking lot. It's weird tho bc I can spin them cleanly when I shift into 2nd and if I drift, but if I launch it it's 99% of the time wheel hop and and I step on it in first I get wheel hop maybe 75% of the time. What's the difference from launching and the shift into 2nd?

Maffs10 06-05-2014 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by POS VETT (Post 10402383)
What conditions are your engine and transmission mounts?

It's an 03 and only has 27000 miles, I got it a year ago at 17000 miles. By no means do I baby my car but with 25ish the rear subframe and diff bushings were shot, so could that mean my tranny and engine mounts be shot also? When I first got my car I had 0 wheel hop no matter what I did...

SQuaLZ 06-05-2014 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Maffs10 (Post 10402822)
It's an 03 and only has 27000 miles, I got it a year ago at 17000 miles. By no means do I baby my car but with 25ish the rear subframe and diff bushings were shot, so could that mean my tranny and engine mounts be shot also? When I first got my car I had 0 wheel hop no matter what I did...

If that is the case I would check your tranny and engine mounts.

SQuaLZ 06-05-2014 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Maffs10 (Post 10402814)
Yeah street/parking lot. It's weird tho bc I can spin them cleanly when I shift into 2nd and if I drift, but if I launch it it's 99% of the time wheel hop and and I step on it in first I get wheel hop maybe 75% of the time. What's the difference from launching and the shift into 2nd?

Wheels are spinning faster in 2nd making it easier to spin instead of hop. Wheel hop occurs when the car is trying to grab traction. You have a better chance of spinning the wheels shifting into 2nd or "drifting" since weight is being transferred off of the back wheels thus making it easier to break traction.

Emski 06-05-2014 11:33 AM

Check your suspension arms maybe. As bushings get worn, wheel movement can occur and cause alignment change, which result in the tires slipping and grabbing at a high frequency.
Crappy roads are usually the culprit.
Experts please chime in.

1973camarolt 06-05-2014 01:31 PM

When I added SPL aluminum diff bushings, TS urethane transmission mount, and tightened my engine mounts an additional 10 ft/lbs over stock, all my wheelhop disappeared. I attribute this mostly to replacing the worn stock diff bushings. Solid rear suspension arm bushings would be a good next step in reducing your wheelhop. On our drag cars we film them from the outside and have a GoPro attached to the chassis underneath. This gives us a very thorough look at the suspension's behavior. If you did this for your car, you could see how it moves and that would show you what direction to go in.

G35HR 06-06-2014 12:23 PM

Rear diff brace helps a lot i've heard.