Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Thoughts of a new owner

Old 11-28-2014, 02:59 AM
davewes69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts of a new owner

So Ive had my Z for about a week now and felt like sharing some of my observations. First the bad:

It's like driving a tank at nameplate defilade. I've never driven a car with worse sight lines.

Backing up? Yea. Not a good idea. Nearly gotten clipped twice backing into traffic.

Looking at something on the side of the road while driving? Yep. Not a good idea either. The car will go wherever you are looking.

Now for the good:

That engine note. The car sounds amazing.

Handling. Better handling than any car I've owned. Love it.

The looks. This car turns heads even if it is a 2003. Not many cars on the road as pretty as this one.

All in all, I'm wondering why the I didn't buy a Z a long time ago. Looking forward to modding it a bit and driving the hell out of it for the next three years.

As a random final observation, is it me or does the VQ put off a sh*t ton of heat?
Old 11-28-2014, 05:22 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Interesting observations. I don't think I have ever heard driving the Z compared to driving a tank. The only problem I have is looking out the back. The rear views are pretty limited. Any car will go where you are looking because when looking to the side you have a tendency to turn the steering wheel in that direction. I'm not sure that is a criticism that should only be directed toward the Z.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:20 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

While I enjoy observations from any Z owner, the first week is more about YOU adapting to the car than anything else. The sightlines from most sportscars are hindered, but the Z is fine once you adapt and use all your mirrors. Try a current Camaro for a good comparison to a tank-like view. As for the heat generation, yes, the VQ is very efficient at shedding heat and producing all that HP and TQ!
Old 11-28-2014, 07:04 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

It's going to take me a while to get used to the lack of visibility after being away from my car.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:58 AM
LiVn_It_UP

Originally Posted by dkmura
While I enjoy observations from any Z owner, the first week is more about YOU adapting to the car than anything else. The sightlines from most sportscars are hindered, but the Z is fine once you adapt and use all your mirrors. Try a current Camaro for a good comparison to a tank-like view. As for the heat generation, yes, the VQ is very efficient at shedding heat and producing all that HP and TQ!
All that HP and TQ?? What model do yo have?
Old 11-28-2014, 08:30 AM
le mans sunsetz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm interesting. Ive personally never had a problem when backing up or switching lanes. I do remember first driving the car home for 2 hours and I was thinking wow I feel like if I look away for a second I will be in the other lane, But after a month its fine you just have to adapt. just like any car. I remember watching top gear and they just ragged on the car saying its like an underpowered muscle car... Now my family owns A 2009 Mustang GT and a 2008 charger and I must say they are nothing alike at all. When driving the Z I feel everything feels tight and is super responsive and I love it. It feels like youre part of the car lol where as when I drive other cars they feel like Im driving a boat and almost surfing.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:07 AM
patrickoneal

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with the poor rearward visibility. I've got a roadster, and with the top up, you can't see a whole lot of anything backing up. With the top down, it's fine. I did install a Kenwood nav system and added a rearview license plate camera. That helps immensely when parallel parking, as does lowering the curbside mirror all the way to get a good view of the curb and the rear wheel(road rash sucks).

As for the car going where ever you look... it doesn't. It goes where ever you steer it. My first car was a 1989 Crown Vic, a tank of a car with tiny side mirrors. After getting into an accident in it, I decided that I would never trust a mirror again and always turn my head around just prior to changing lanes. At first, I would pull the wheel as I turned my head, but quickly got good at it. It's something every driver should be doing anyway, especially if you're driving a new or different vehicle and you don't know the blindspots.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:44 PM
clubhopper

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Not digging the sight lines? Try driving a Camaro.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:41 PM
jonny992

when parking always back in so u don't have to back out. that's what I do. because its safer. unless im in a rush to pee. also blind spots take a week or two to get use to but now I drive fine. the back is actually really small. so looking at your side mirrors and the window is enuf. I do that n never cut people off now unless im purposely doing it to switch into lane.

also an unwritten rule.
1. if a g35 or 350z is beside u at stop light. 100 % race time.
2. if a g35/g37/350z/370z/anyZ tryna switch lanes u always let them pass.

Last edited by jonny992; 11-28-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:30 AM
darkgt

haha the unwritten rules also always park beside each other. Just got mine and the bro tier of these cars and owners is the best I have experienced so far.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:54 AM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I agree that backing out of a parking spot into traffic is difficult because of the poor rear/side view (the roofline blocks vision).

To see better out of the rearview mirror while driving, tip the mirror so that you see almost half of the headliner in the mirror. That provides a better angle and allows you to see a lot farther behind the car.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:23 PM
Z Diablo

I have a roadster as well and damn it was hard to get use to barely using your rear-view mirror lol.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:10 PM
adamgfn

I'm Asian. So my squinty eyes better enabled me to become accustomed to the squinty, small rear windshield.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:51 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by adamgfn
I'm Asian. So my squinty eyes better enabled me to become accustomed to the squinty, small rear windshield.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:49 AM
davewes69

Lol, thanks for the inputs guys. Loving this car so far. I literally find excuses to drive now just soI can get behind the wheel.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:13 AM
Dekker001

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by davewes69
Lol, thanks for the inputs guys. Loving this car so far. I literally find excuses to drive now just soI can get behind the wheel.
Yah, my wife is going to need surgery from rolling her eyes at all the dumb reasons I have come up with to go for a drive....
Old 12-01-2014, 07:29 AM
le mans sunsetz

Originally Posted by Dekker001
Yah, my wife is going to need surgery from rolling her eyes at all the dumb reasons I have come up with to go for a drive....
Old 12-10-2014, 08:02 AM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You think the 350 visibility is bad? The 370 takes it up a few notches and then some. You are LITERALLY blind (im not kidding) out drivers side rear.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:03 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
While I enjoy observations from any Z owner, the first week is more about YOU adapting to the car than anything else. The sightlines from most sportscars are hindered, but the Z is fine once you adapt and use all your mirrors. Try a current Camaro for a good comparison to a tank-like view.
Could not agree with you more!

I went to drive my buddy's Camaro SS, went down the block, turned around, and gave it right back to him. I felt SO uncomfortable in the car. I could not see anything and I actually felt nervous driving.

Yes, you will get used to it. Did not take me long at all, as a matter of fact I think it took me longer to actually get comfortable with the clutch rather than the sight.

If the mirrors are aimed correctly, than you should have no problem. I think this is the biggest problem, as MOST people have their mirrors aimed incorrectly.

My only gripe with the view is that cars behind you look closer than they actually are. I always feel like somebody is tailgating me. Hey, maybe it's true since I live in NY!
Old 12-11-2014, 06:37 AM
PerfZ

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had limo tint installed on the rear hatch and quarter windows - can't see out of them anyway lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts of a new owner