MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Open for suggestions! (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/600725-open-for-suggestions.html)

DarkRain0660 01-10-2015 02:55 PM

Open for suggestions!

Hey guys been on here a little while using the information pools and studying the mechanics specific to the Z. My current is an 04 Base with 90k and stock except for intake. I've restrained myself from mods until I've seen the pros and cons of just about every option possible. I figure if your gonna do it then do it once and do it right. So that being said my background with cars is pretty solid but mostly Honda based. High compression N/A builds and a few turbo builds but I swapped over to Nissan 2 years ago and haven't looked back. OK so to the point of this post, the car is stored for the winter and I have most of the front taken apart for personal inspection and I was wondering what I should go ahead and change, upgrade that's weak or slightly modify. Budget is very light as I'm only looking to replace as well as strengthen oem parts that wear out the most. Any advice welcome and flame suit is zipped up so open to suggestions

Spike100 01-10-2015 03:14 PM

So... What would you prefer doing first on this/your car?

DarkRain0660 01-10-2015 03:24 PM

Just looking to take care of things that are weak or prone to failure on the front/top of the engine while I have complete access to it. Btw actual power/brake/suspension mods will come later and come when necessary. I've gotten pretty comfortable at the cars limit after 2 years and it won't be long until those mods become a necessity. I will handle all that later though right now I'm looking for reliability.

bealljk 01-11-2015 08:26 AM

The car is pretty solid from the factory - The best thing you can do is perform your basic maintenance and not neglect the car.

Zmandriving 01-11-2015 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by DarkRain0660 (Post 10528446)
Hey guys been on here a little while using the information pools and studying the mechanics specific to the Z. My current is an 04 Base with 90k and stock except for intake. I've restrained myself from mods until I've seen the pros and cons of just about every option possible. I figure if your gonna do it then do it once and do it right. So that being said my background with cars is pretty solid but mostly Honda based. High compression N/A builds and a few turbo builds but I swapped over to Nissan 2 years ago and haven't looked back. OK so to the point of this post, the car is stored for the winter and I have most of the front taken apart for personal inspection and I was wondering what I should go ahead and change, upgrade that's weak or slightly modify. Budget is very light as I'm only looking to replace as well as strengthen oem parts that wear out the most. Any advice welcome and flame suit is zipped up so open to suggestions

Bushing's would be my first thing to do. I would do trans and motor mounts too. Go all polyurethane. Make sure you do the differntial bushings. I went solid for those and there is some vibration but not much. Next I would be looking at upgrading suspension like sway bar and endlinks and exhaust system.

DarkRain0660 01-11-2015 01:26 PM

Yeah the motor mounts have been in the back of my head for a while so I ordered those and now I'm honestly thinking about replacing every single bushing on the car now while it's in storage.

DarkRain0660 01-11-2015 01:28 PM

Finished the belts and all fluids today as well ( diff, engine oil, rad, brake, power steering etc) so that's out of the way

Nicholas Cain 01-12-2015 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by DarkRain0660 (Post 10528747)
Finished the belts and all fluids today as well ( diff, engine oil, rad, brake, power steering etc) so that's out of the way

I would go and at a plenum spacer 3/8th to it.. It'll make your car run better along with keep the top of the motor from heat soak. Along with allowing much more air flow. Your only looking at about $120 and very simple to do

Nismo350z#0310 01-13-2015 11:00 AM

Everything is reliable and not prone to breakage on the top/ front part of the engine.

Do maintenance such as oil and filter and air filter for starters.

Extended maintenance could be diff bushings which fail after a while, shocks if the car has a lot of miles. An added benefit can be a catch can system that is cheap and simple to install which will help aid in oil consumption and oil buildup in your plenum and pipping.

Other than the extended stuff, the cars pretty solid on the top half/front. Belts aren't really prone to breaking and the engine is non-interference so if a belt does break, no harm will be done to the engine.

PerfZ 01-13-2015 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo350z#0310 (Post 10529872)
Everything is reliable and not prone to breakage on the top/ front part of the engine.

Do maintenance such as oil and filter and air filter for starters.

Extended maintenance could be diff bushings which fail after a while, shocks if the car has a lot of miles. An added benefit can be a catch can system that is cheap and simple to install which will help aid in oil consumption and oil buildup in your plenum and pipping.

Other than the extended stuff, the cars pretty solid on the top half/front. Belts aren't really prone to breaking and the engine is non-interference so if a belt does break, no harm will be done to the engine.

Aren't you confusing belts with timing belts, of which our car does not have since ours has a chain, which is more or less permanent? No car will be affected by a breaking fan or AC belt, at least as far as interference goes.

Nismo350z#0310 01-13-2015 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by PerfZ (Post 10529883)
Aren't you confusing belts with timing belts, of which our car does not have since ours has a chain, which is more or less permanent? No car will be affected by a breaking fan or AC belt, at least as far as interference goes.

Yeah that's right.

The belts at the front in general are pretty reliable anyways. I've never heard of one going out.

B T 01-13-2015 12:47 PM

since it's almost 12 years old now, I would replace any rubber bushings with polyurethane. most everything else. Grease anything that needs to be greased. maybe throw some sway bars on it.

RENFRO 01-21-2015 04:14 AM

This may just be me, but there's so much jacked up info and advice in here it blew my mind.

OP, if you've done so-called "high compression NA builds and a few turbo builds" this should be a no-brainer for you.

Do a maintenance check. There's no reason to go replacing every bushing in the car to include engine mounts unless you've got a need to do so. If this is a dedicated track car, then go for it. Otherwise, do the standard maintenance check...fluids, hoses, belts, bushings. Replace as necessary.

travlee 01-21-2015 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Nicholas Cain (Post 10529392)
I would go and at a plenum spacer 3/8th to it.. It'll make your car run better along with keep the top of the motor from heat soak. Along with allowing much more air flow. Your only looking at about $120 and very simple to do

and it will also lean him out and would be best to tune it..... silly noob

DarkRain0660 01-23-2015 03:49 PM

I mean your right the general maintenance is a no brainer as well as watch out for the common failing parts on any engine. The reason I made the post here is because you guys have had hundreds of hands on trial and error time with these engines. That being said you have already learned the ins and outs, good and bad of every single component. I'm looking for other stuff.... An example I can give you is if you bought let's say a 2001 prelude with an H22A4 and never owned a Honda before. You know the common sense things to replace or inspect but anybody who's had one for long time might tell you " Hey bro you might want to swap out the auto tensioner with a manual tensioner from an H23 cause the auto one is prone to failure" and possibly save you trouble in the future. What I'm getting at is I'm asking you guys for the tips and tricks you who love these cars have picked up after having these engines for a while. So thanks for all the info so far guys. Anymore is more than welcome