MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Declining expectations for My350Z posts (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/603131-declining-expectations-for-my350z-posts.html)

rcdash 04-17-2015 09:19 AM

Good thread and original post.

Lack of moderator attention is also a key factor. I know its a thankless job and am NOT saying our moderators don't do a good job, but it seems the few we have are insufficient. e.g. my posts in the top 50 FI thread have gone unanswered for weeks/months. Why should the OGs that generated so much good content care anymore if the moderators don't care anymore or IB does not provide the incentives for folks to join the moderator staff (not sure how that works)?

I remember there was a call for more moderators in the past. We need new blood in that segment. I would vote for dkmura to lead the moderator staff! :thumbup:

myfirstzcar 04-17-2015 10:45 AM

This doesn't bother me. I'm smart enough to know that the price of a 350z has come down over the years. You're going to see more beat up riced out punk owned 350Zs on the road as time goes by.....but I'm not selling mine, it's still nearly perfect.

What does annoy me are people who think they're better just because they've been members of a forum for so long....like they were born with all this knowledge.
People like travlee and syner, for example, who spend more time calling people noob than doing anything else. Get over yourselves already! It's pathetic how people have to nitpick others just to make themselves feel better. People like that are pathetic, un-enlightened, self centered *******s. DKmura, you're cool, never had a problem with you.....keep helping people, since that's what forums are about.
Fwiw, I just put a new clutch and solid fly in mine, by myself, with no help from this forum at all....I googled some stuff, and did the job myself.
There's reason number 2 why I don't need a forum full of douchebags!

Syner 04-17-2015 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by myfirstzcar (Post 10581524)
This doesn't bother me. I'm smart enough to know that the price of a 350z has come down over the years. You're going to see more beat up riced out punk owned 350Zs on the road as time goes by.....but I'm not selling mine, it's still nearly perfect.

What does annoy me are people who think they're better just because they've been members of a forum for so long....like they were born with all this knowledge.
People like travlee and syner, for example, who spend more time calling people noob than doing anything else. Get over yourselves already! It's pathetic how people have to nitpick others just to make themselves feel better. People like that are pathetic, un-enlightened, self centered *******s. DKmura, you're cool, never had a problem with you.....keep helping people, since that's what forums are about.
Fwiw, I just put a new clutch and solid fly in mine, by myself, with no help from this forum at all....I googled some stuff, and did the job myself.

:bowrofl:

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

StuLax18 04-17-2015 11:01 AM

You'll have to excuse Syner. He has a really small yard.

Syner 04-17-2015 11:01 AM

...and I'm Canadian. (that's my excuse)

Jennifer 2 04-17-2015 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Syner (Post 10581535)
...and I'm Canadian. (that's my excuse)

No you're a ahole all on your own:thumbup:

Syner 04-17-2015 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2 (Post 10581554)
No you're a ahole all on your own:thumbup:

:icon17:

Maybe it's an Alberta vs. BC thing? :dunno:

dkmura 04-17-2015 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by rcdash (Post 10581441)
Good thread and original post.

Lack of moderator attention is also a key factor. I know its a thankless job and am NOT saying our moderators don't do a good job, but it seems the few we have are insufficient. e.g. my posts in the top 50 FI thread have gone unanswered for weeks/months. Why should the OGs that generated so much good content care anymore if the moderators don't care anymore or IB does not provide the incentives for folks to join the moderator staff (not sure how that works)?

I remember there was a call for more moderators in the past. We need new blood in that segment. I would vote for dkmura to lead the moderator staff! :thumbup:

Thanks for the comments and the vote of confidence. In some cases, being a moderator wouldn't have helped- I assumed the OP knew what they were talking about, but it turned out they had no idea. I've been asked to moderate on some other Nissan forums, but didn't really have the time to do it.

As SmoothZ has said, it does little to grouse about the young and dumb posters here. I've been there myself, but usually made my mistakes in private. It helps to have a background in motorsports, where you must learn the basics and gain immediate feedback from your actions (both in and out of the car).

One thing to consider is to start more threads about interesting topics that could both educate and entertain. Last week, for example, I was prepping the T3 Z and assessing damage from the last SCCA Majors race at NOLA. Had the nose off (almost had it torn off), up on jackstands and thought maybe there was a story to be told about how to methodically go through the car (or where the gum and baling wire goes) to get it ready for the next race. But I didn't take any pics with my dirty hands, and don't usually have the patience to document what goes far beyond a standard DIY.

I'd also like to read more threads from some of the mods and other experienced members about their continuing adventures with the Z33. Whether it's something as small as how to get an accurate reading on that convoluted dipstick to what tips and tricks we use to keep our Zs running smoothly, I'd hope to see more quality posts on My350Z.

Syner 04-17-2015 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by dkmura (Post 10581602)
Thanks for the comments and the vote of confidence. In some cases, being a moderator wouldn't have helped- I assumed the OP knew what they were talking about, but it turned out they had no idea. I've been asked to moderate on some other Nissan forums, but didn't really have the time to do it.

As SmoothZ has said, it does little to grouse about the young and dumb posters here. I've been there myself, but usually made my mistakes in private. It helps to have a background in motorsports, where you must learn the basics and gain immediate feedback from your actions (both in and out of the car).

One thing to consider is to start more threads about interesting topics that could both educate and entertain. Last week, for example, I was prepping the T3 Z and assessing damage from the last SCCA Majors race at NOLA. Had the nose off (almost had it torn off), up on jackstands and thought maybe there was a story to be told about how to methodically go through the car (or where the gum and baling wire goes) to get it ready for the next race. But I didn't take any pics with my dirty hands, and don't usually have the patience to document what goes far beyond a standard DIY.

I'd also like to read more threads from some of the mods and other experienced members about their continuing adventures with the Z33. Whether it's something as small as how to get an accurate reading on that convoluted dipstick to what tips and tricks we use to keep our Zs running smoothly, I'd hope to see more quality posts on My350Z.

I've done the same thing myself. I've walked into a job thinking "hey, I should take some pictures and do a write-up, someone would probably find this helpful;" only to get my hands covered in oil/grease/dirt, get caught up in the job, and completely forget/neglect to take pictures or write anything down.

gabez33 04-17-2015 12:39 PM

yeah this forum has been going down hill for a while...ive seen allot here in my long stay

venture210 04-17-2015 12:54 PM

WHAT IF there was a required "IQ" test to permit membership on forums:dunno:

Could have questions like:
What do you do when your CEL comes on?
A. Search the forum
B. google it
C. read the FSM
D. all of the above
E. Start a new thread with vague information in the wrong section

Might weed out some of the idiots or at least prep the noobs for using the forum correctly

AdvanZ33 04-17-2015 02:06 PM

I believe forums across the board are going to suffer due to Facebook pages; or as I like to call them "instant gratification chat rooms." Not that I enjoyed selling my Z33 but I sure as hell enjoyed leaving the "350z" Facebook page.

dkmura 04-17-2015 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by AdvanZ33 (Post 10581646)
I believe forums across the board are going to suffer due to Facebook pages; or as I like to call them "instant gratification chat rooms." Not that I enjoyed selling my Z33 but I sure as hell enjoyed leaving the "350z" Facebook page.

I didn't even know there WAS a 350Z FB page! :thumbup: Sometimes ignorance IS bliss. LOL

travlee 04-17-2015 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by myfirstzcar (Post 10581524)

if you are stupid i am going to tell you that, i don't sugar coat things.... but i am also a wealth of knowledge for those with legit questions

jhc 04-17-2015 02:52 PM

Going to bat for Syner, say what you will. He was the first friend I made here, and has helped me out several times when I needed it. Even when joined I saw people saying "Search 1st...", nothing new here. So I knew I needed to put some thought and respect into it before posting.

"Better to remain silent and let people think you a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt". Some folk need to hear that. .02

mr. sparco 04-17-2015 03:58 PM

Members like syner have replaced the OGs who brought lolz, like hraes and alberto. Its not like how it used to be when the 350z was bought mostly by mature, established, or younger educated professionals. Now you see newbs who think having good credit to get a loan on a sub $15k used car is something to shout about (nothing wrong w that, congratz but pales) when it used to be members dropping $15k in mods a day after buying a $35k+ car. The quality of comments goes down in proportion to the value of the car.

Bonfire 04-17-2015 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by dkmura (Post 10580736)
As one of the older members of this forum, I try to contribute to the discussions in a constructive way. My background includes experience writing for various automotive publications, including time as the editor-in-chief for the now defunct Nissan Sport Magazine. Beyond that, my passion...

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....b8120433ce.jpg

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED??

Spike100 04-17-2015 07:38 PM

I like this site (my350z.com), consider it valuable (I pay an extra fee to be a Premier Member), and locate solutions here for all sorts of things.

I am glad that my350z is here, and I would hate losing access to this site.

bith8791 04-17-2015 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by dkmura (Post 10581602)

Totally agree, maybe I'll post a quick how to remove/replace OEM shift knob w/ new OEM shift knob as I tackle that tomorrow, 11 years of dirt/oil from my hand has done a number on my shift knob, holding my new one after it came in the mail brought back memories when I bought my z all those years ago.

Syner 04-17-2015 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by jhc (Post 10581673)
Going to bat for Syner, say what you will. He was the first friend I made here, and has helped me out several times when I needed it. Even when joined I saw people saying "Search 1st...", nothing new here. So I knew I needed to put some thought and respect into it before posting.

"Better to remain silent and let people think you a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt". Some folk need to hear that. .02

Originally Posted by mr. sparco (Post 10581704)
Members like syner have replaced the OGs who brought lolz, like hraes and alberto. Its not like how it used to be when the 350z was bought mostly by mature, established, or younger educated professionals. Now you see newbs who think having good credit to get a loan on a sub $15k used car is something to shout about (nothing wrong w that, congratz but pales) when it used to be members dropping $15k in mods a day after buying a $35k+ car. The quality of comments goes down in proportion to the value of the car.

:tip: