Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Declining expectations for My350Z posts

Old 06-14-2016, 02:15 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

This one turned out rather funny if you haven't checked it out... why the guy got all bent out of shape.
https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...ut-offset.html
Old 06-14-2016, 03:43 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Approaching summer and already these boards are inundated with threads about why their Z33s won't start, run or even idle. Many of these posts lack much info on mileage, mods or any background on the cars except to say...HALP. It's also a bit wearing that many new owners have no idea their cars have a sophisticated diagnostic system and haven't even tried to pull codes.

They'd rather throw parts at the problem and have strangers offer advise from behind computer monitors. Blind leading the blind. Summer isn't even here yet and I'm already getting impatient...
Originally Posted by jhc
Agreed, Sir.
A part of the difference between older folk and younger -
The older guys had to know how to contact a shop for appropriate repairs. Had to get a hard copy Chiltons and understand it. Had to use a phone to find parts and be on hold forever.
Youger guys are used to instant information, taking a quick survey on FB about shops and repairs, even FS prices for cars.
What makes me sad is when people cannot/refuse to develop their own critical thinking skills.
then yall will like this one

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...car-to-me.html
Old 06-20-2016, 02:02 PM
90nissanS13

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

The title sums up this forum. I joined here fairly late after I bought my Z and I kind of regret it.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:47 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by 90nissanS13
The title sums up this forum. I joined here fairly late after I bought my Z and I kind of regret it.
I hear ya. There truly are days that I log in and end up just shaking my head.

HOWEVER, there is a wealth of Z33 information here. Much of it legacy information, some of it current. I don't think I've ever looked up anything on google (using site:my350z.com syntax) that I couldn't find on this site.

Best thing I can suggest, don't regret it, just use the data that you need from trusted sources (one can always tell if someone actually knows about the topic they're posting on and the others who are speculating) and just let the irrelevant stuff in the irrelevant file of your mind.

And.... if you think the signal:noise ratio is too low, contribute by posting up interesting topics and see where it goes. Surely you'll get people baggin' on it if its not interesting TO THEM but if you're asking or posing a topic, someone else has ALSO thought of it too and will likely be of interest to someone.

Last edited by MicVelo; 06-20-2016 at 02:48 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MicVelo:
dkmura (06-20-2016), jhc (06-20-2016), slow7 (07-14-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 03:20 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Actually this site IS a wealth of information, good folks too.

I have learned how to change my convertible top DIY, saved $1200. My roadster came in 2nd in a recent show due to a thred on paint care/ polishing and advice from other users.
But more than that, I've met some really solid folks here IRL. Guys that race on track, others who drive daily.

If you have a passion for the Z cars this culture and this site are not surpassed anywhere.
The following 3 users liked this post by jhc:
35th4me (06-20-2016), MicVelo (06-20-2016), slow7 (07-14-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 06:02 PM
90nissanS13

Oh, I know. I have found a handful of good information here. I have found some like-minded people who have contributed to some intellectual discussions. I have gained VQ and Z33 knowledge I would have not gained on my own through specific scenarios.

The forum as a whole seems things are a down hill slope. As time goes by, there just tends to be more and more crap to sort through. That is where I show my regret, perhaps it would have been better to have joined while most Z owner's were of a mature demographic. Now, there is a ton of what people like to call "noobs".

That's life in general but, at least professionally I know who I work with and the customers in my industry are fairly..."logical".

Here is a thread that has been intriguing to the few that have participated. I started this in hopes to find other's who share the same interests.
https://my350z.com/forum/the-lounge-...and-so-on.html
Old 06-27-2016, 03:33 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

messed up his bumper on the hwy, doesnt know what to do......

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...l#post10776897
Old 07-01-2016, 06:00 AM
Colorado04Vert

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jhc
Actually this site IS a wealth of information.
And that's why I'm here. I'm 35-40 cars deep in my life at this point. I love new things when it comes to cars, and the 350z always stood out to me. So I ended up here.

I see a lot of stupid BS on here dont get me wrong, but thank ( or is it a no thanks) to this place, I have learned quite a bit in a short time about the car, and mods for it.

Then again... I'm also not 21... so there's that.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:05 PM
djnekkon

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

it all comes down to how cheap the 350z is. Move along with a more mature crowd like the 370z folks. 350z wont last forever and ebay has become the oem part store for the new gens and google is the new school for smart@sses. I am 37, but i wont let some kids take the joy of building my z away from me just because they are complete ignorants. Just reading here in 3 years, i have completely rebuilt my z from motor to leather seats and put every bit to oem specs. I am grateful to have this resource available at no cost.
The following 2 users liked this post by djnekkon:
jhc (07-13-2016), slow7 (07-14-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 06:43 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Some could say the same thing about the old Datsuns from years ago and called it a cheap Z among the immature crowd. That's so far from the truth. I've met a lot of good people within the S30 crowd, and I know plenty of good people with the 350Z. Can't generalize us all. I really enjoy my Z33. I've been through many cars, and I have to admit that I found the right one to enjoy for many years to come. Sure I'd like something newer with more technology and power, but this Z of mine is great for feeling like I'm in control of a car instead of vice versa.
The following 4 users liked this post by SmoothZ:
35th4me (07-13-2016), MicVelo (08-04-2016), slow7 (07-14-2016), Spike100 (07-14-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 09:27 PM
90nissanS13

Originally Posted by corbin9
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. I take a 4 year break and literally every 16 year old kid with 5k is driving one of these and attempting to mod.

I guess not everyone has access to Google? Do you have to meet a certain socioeconomic class to have access to information online? Jeeeez
Lol that is one way to say "what the ****".
Old 08-03-2016, 09:54 PM
the rook

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

As one of the older members of this forum, I try to contribute to the discussions in a constructive way. My background includes experience writing for various automotive publications, including time as the editor-in-chief for the now defunct Nissan Sport Magazine. Beyond that, my passion has been as a longtime Nissan racer who still drives his pre-order '03 track model and races (and wrenches) on SCCA T3 Z33. So I've learned a bit about the model and am generally happy to share what I know with some of the newer owners and members of My350Z.

But these past few weeks have me shaking my head more than just a few times at what's posted. The questions being asked seem to be from new drivers who know very little about cars in general, or about the Z33 in particular. Examples include asking about what's involved with making 500-600 hp from $5K in parts. Or about how hard it is to buy a car (yes, immediate gratification is not available when picking a Z), or mistaking specific parts like what a "Murano rear end" is doing on their Z. There could be plenty of other examples, but it continues a trend of declining expectations in the quality of discussions on My350Z.

For every post asking for relevant information in the maintenance section, there's another two asking for how to "fix" their cars. As though any of us could magically appear next to their engine bays and tell them what the solution is. Many times, it's as simple as telling them to use their cars onboard diagnostic programs to pinpoint the problem. Sometimes, they may have to bite the bullet and take their cars to a Nissan dealer to have a tech with the right tools diagnose a complicated issue, rather than throw parts at it. And then there are those who think the Z is as simple as putting different parts from different models (engines, harnesses, ECMs, etc.) on a stripped shell and expecting it to run, and run perfectly. Not nearly that easy, my friend.

As the Z33 continues to drop in resale price, this decline is inevitable. But I wish new members would only take the time to understand how different the Z33 is from the Hondas and Nissans they may have started with. It's another dimension in terms of electronic sophistication and design from the previous generation of cars. Or, if this is their first car, start with an education of automotive basics (so you know how certain parts work and what they look like) together with doing a thorough SEARCH before posting what could be a lame question. It'll probably save them from a certain amount of embarrassment and keep the rest of us from slapping our foreheads every day!
Hi. I'm a first time owner of a z33. I bought a 05' anniversary edition today. I have long admired the z. In high-school my favorite car was the 300z and I vowed to one day have a z myself. When the 350z came out it was simply amazing to look at. Not to mention almost 300hp n/a out of a v6 stuffed into a 3200lb chassis!!!

All these years later my time has finally arrived and I couldn't be happier. I got my car after being owned by only one person before me, very lightly driven, and never modified. It has 75k original miles and I can't begin to tell you how clean it is!!! I'm in love. Lol.
Anyway after spending much time on honda forums(as I have been a Honda man up to now) I've seen a lot of terrible questions and harsh criticisms both. I'm far from an expert on automobiles but I do a LOT of my own wrench turning.
So I would hope that I manage only to ask relevant questions and that in doing so I receive quality information. It's a real pleasure to bump up from the honda world and begin my future in my dream car!!!
Old 08-04-2016, 06:32 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by the rook
Hi. I'm a first time owner of a z33. I bought a 05' anniversary edition today. I have long admired the z. In high-school my favorite car was the 300z and I vowed to one day have a z myself. When the 350z came out it was simply amazing to look at. Not to mention almost 300hp n/a out of a v6 stuffed into a 3200lb chassis!!!

All these years later my time has finally arrived and I couldn't be happier. I got my car after being owned by only one person before me, very lightly driven, and never modified. It has 75k original miles and I can't begin to tell you how clean it is!!! I'm in love. Lol.
Anyway after spending much time on honda forums(as I have been a Honda man up to now) I've seen a lot of terrible questions and harsh criticisms both. I'm far from an expert on automobiles but I do a LOT of my own wrench turning.
So I would hope that I manage only to ask relevant questions and that in doing so I receive quality information. It's a real pleasure to bump up from the honda world and begin my future in my dream car!!!
Welcome and what an auspicious first post! May you enjoy your Z a lot and have an enjoyable time posting here. BTW- you live near a very nice road racing track in Pueblo Motorsports Park. PM me if you want any more details on how to get your Z on the track and improve the nut behind the wheel.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:51 AM
the rook

Will do. Thanks for the reply!!
Old 08-04-2016, 06:56 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Welcome and what an auspicious first post! May you enjoy your Z a lot and have an enjoyable time posting here. BTW- you live near a very nice road racing track in Pueblo Motorsports Park. PM me if you want any more details on how to get your Z reliable 600 whp for at or just under $5000.

Going to PM you asap
Old 08-04-2016, 07:15 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Going to PM you asap
Mike... Mike... Mike!!!

No need to bother David with that.

I got whutchu need *RIGHT HERE*!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Fa...pWAzgQ&vxp=mtr

Increase the signal:noise ratio by doing a test & report on it!! (Especially after I just diminished it with this post.)

EDIT: This note on the product info page validates this product!! "INSTALLATION:
THIS PRODUCT RECOMMENDS PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION. Any damage during installation will not be refunded"

Wow. Gotta git me summa dat!! Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Last edited by MicVelo; 08-04-2016 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:36 PM
Rappix74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd just like to say thanks to everyone who does put up with noobs like me.

I haven't posted any questions on this forum yet but I don't know a lot about cars and just recently bought a Z. Thanks to everyone that does take the time to answer these easy questions because I found a lot of answers in this forum because of that.

I just installed my first stereo with the PAC-ROEM-NIS2 adapter for the existing bose system and a reversing camera and it was easy because so many other people have done the same thing here and post great guides and advice
Old 10-16-2016, 05:48 PM
the rook

Originally Posted by Rappix74

I haven't posted any questions on this forum yet but I don't know a lot about cars and just recently bought a Z. Thanks to everyone that does take the time to answer these easy questions because I found a lot of answers in this forum because of that.

I just installed my first stereo with the PAC-ROEM-NIS2 adapter for the existing bose system and a reversing camera and it was easy because so many other people have done the same thing here and post great guides and advice
Yeah this site is pretty good on a newb. Lol. I have a pedestrian knowledge of cars but love them none the less. I've gotten some great feedback from some quality sources.
On the honda sites most people regurgitate other peoples knowledge and treat tech questions as an insult to their delicate sensibilities.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:58 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Originally Posted by Rappix74

so you didnt install yours the same as mine I guess.

good job expectations restored, dont be like me I have issues.

Welcome to the site.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:00 PM
the rook

Dude I have been reading the thread in which you are systematically dismantling your car. Lol. I'd never get it back together.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Declining expectations for My350Z posts