2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking, knocking or rocking sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 05:21 PM
D.R0905

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll check them when I lift the car up. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:51 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What's the oil pressure?
Old 07-08-2015, 05:38 AM
D.R0905

I didn't even pay attention to it. When I turn it over today I'll post it. What's the normal reading?
Old 07-08-2015, 08:42 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by D.R0905
I didn't even pay attention to it. When I turn it over today I'll post it. What's the normal reading?
Should be around 40-60 psi untill it warms up then it drops to around 10psi give or take. It fluctuates within the meter all the time. Low at idle after warm high when you give gas and when warming up.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:52 AM
D.R0905

Ok guys good news, problem solved!! One of my tensioners came loose somehow. So my chain was a little loose which caused the sound, also my valves were a little loose. New oil and everything is good again. But now to find an oil leak somewhere lol.. Or its burning oil.. But thank y'all for all your feedback and thanks for being there through all the steps! I really apriciate it!!
Old 07-08-2015, 12:58 PM
Godfoot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With 155k on the clock I'd be surprised if there was not oil consumption, maybe do a compression and or cylinder leak down test. That should reveal any problem areas. I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve the main issue. Noises like that are never welcome guests under the hood.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:49 AM
D.R0905

How do I do a cylinder leak test?? That's a first that I've heard of.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:24 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Originally Posted by D.R0905
How do I do a cylinder leak test?? That's a first that I've heard of.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:27 AM
D.R0905

Thank you, I'll do it when I can. Also a while back I took it to the dealer to get my passenger side valve cover replaced and both gaskets. Do you think that might be a possibility?
Old 07-12-2015, 05:26 AM
HORACE

Originally Posted by MicVelo
I respectfully ask the question: "What was the purpose of your snide response??" The OP posed a reasonable question that he has researched and yet is still unfamiliar with the possible issue. There is nothing wrong with that.

It is your type of remark that further diminishes the already declining signal:noise ratio on this forum.

If you are indeed the sage mechanic that your response seems to indicate that you think you are AND you can render an accurate e-diagnosis without actual hands on, then by all means, POST IT. Doing so in this manner gives everyone reading the thread information that they might be able to use in the future.

Negativity of the kind in your response benefits NO ONE. All it does is let everyone know that you really don't know the answer (and no one can without actual hands on the problem) and that you are merely arm chair quarterbacking and sniping from the comfort and anonymity behind your screen and keyboard.

If one has nothing to contribute to a thread, just don't say anything. If you do have info - even speculation - make your contribution worthwhile. Your response turns everyone off - new members, salty veterans, and everybody in between. The more positivity on the forum, the better it is for all.

Answer a question in the way you'd like to be responded to. With respect. You may indeed be a veteran, but you started at a point of unknowing as well.

Mic

Hey partner relax if you live in America you should believe in free speech just return the insult and shake your head like the martyr your are. !JK! Dont dwell on stupid its not gonna go anywhere. Sorry had to say it. so tired of militant political correctness.

GOOD LUCK OP heres a link to the Factory Service Manuals on Nico just in case you need it for your new batch of issues with compression and leaks. http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/

Last edited by HORACE; 07-12-2015 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:09 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by HORACE

Hey partner relax if you live in America you should believe in free speech just return the insult and shake your head like the martyr your are. !JK! Dont dwell on stupid its not gonna go anywhere. Sorry had to say it. so tired of militant political correctness.
WARNING: No Z content here. Read at your own risk.

And another person pretends to know me.... Yawwwwwn .

Well, sir, I absolutely agree with you about freedom of speech but... I am probably the least politically correct person I know - off the forums and in the presence of friends and foes alike - but this has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with political correctness, militant or otherwise.

This is, however, a statement against the new school thinking of internet RUDENESS, where everyone has an opinion and isn't afraid to espouse same from behind the anonymity of a screen and keyboard that hides them from facing someone down IN PERSON.

Old school thinking? Yep, sure is. And I won't back down from thinking that the golden rule still applies. You want help, offer help. You want respect, offer respect. Seriously, tell me what part of the original comment that I took issue with ("Have your daddy check the oil") is helpful?

Am I letting it bother me? BUWAAAHHAHAHAHA... Not in the least. I couldn't give a rats a$$ but I will continue to rally against counter-productivity here and elsewhere because, as you say, "free speech country" and all that; but that doesn't mean it has to be a rude and obnoxious one.

One less person saying something "snipeful" on this (or any other) forum, the better it is for the community as a whole. Perhaps it's hopeless, utopian dreaming in believing I can change the paradigm thinking but....

I am NOT saying the commenter was wrong - as the problem seemed to be tangentially related to oil pressure/level/whatever - it's just about the delivery.

Regards,

Mic

EDIT: PS Just realized that this falls right in line with dkmura's "Declining expectations" thread. But c'est la vie.

Last edited by MicVelo; 07-14-2015 at 07:11 AM.