Sponsored by:

350Z Race Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 10:50 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Mic- thanks again for the kudos. As for the SCCA Runoffs at Daytona, I could have easily won an invite in T3, but decided last month to pass. The CRB rules on weight just rubbed me (and plenty of other Nissan racers) the wrong way and I decided to spend more of my time and money locally to support the few races we hold. While part of me wants to race anytime, anywhere, I get tired on some of the bullcrap SCCA rules that I've adjusted to over the years... Probably my loss, but that's the way I feel...

BTW- without more Nissan entries in T3 , that class has almost fallen off the map in terms of participation for 2015.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:26 PM
difranchise

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know you but I love your stories, feel like I am there and truly appreciate the style and precision of how you drive the Z. Makes me want to take my car to the track.
The following users liked this post:
dkmura (08-29-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 01:45 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Mic- thanks again for the kudos. As for the SCCA Runoffs at Daytona, I could have easily won an invite in T3, but decided last month to pass. The CRB rules on weight just rubbed me (and plenty of other Nissan racers) the wrong way and I decided to spend more of my time and money locally to support the few races we hold. While part of me wants to race anytime, anywhere, I get tired on some of the bullcrap SCCA rules that I've adjusted to over the years... Probably my loss, but that's the way I feel...

BTW- without more Nissan entries in T3 , that class has almost fallen off the map in terms of participation for 2015.
There are no thanks necessary. You are doing something that I'm sure a lot of people here want to do (but aren't for whatever reason) so to be regaled with the tales of someone actually building their car to a stated specification, and driving their Z the way it was meant to be driven, it fills a void that is so lacking on this and every other forum.

I hear you about the CRB politi-antics. In one way though it's "nice" for me to hear that some things haven't changed since I turned a wheel in anger. (That comment was meant to be snide to the ruling factor... ) But yeah, just like the comp board did to us in D-Production 35 years ago by allowing the Club Racer Porsches (factory go-fast kits that we weren't allowed) in our class where they totally dominated every Datsun, Triumph and assorted other cars in class. Wonder why there's no D-Production any longer.... psh....

But keep it up, David. Your cred speaks for itself.

Mic

Last edited by MicVelo; 08-24-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:51 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by difranchise
I don't know you but I love your stories, feel like I am there and truly appreciate the style and precision of how you drive the Z. Makes me want to take my car to the track.
Appreciate your comment. I hope these stories inspire others to enjoy their Z33s and the racing heritage they were born from. They also serve as a pathway to having more fun with your car in organized competition and realizing what you're capable of.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:15 PM
JBJ

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Here are some pics I took on Sunday. I was out there checking out the SCCA PDX program. Always nice to get some track time.

And mine.

Last edited by JBJ; 08-24-2015 at 08:19 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JBJ:
difranchise (08-25-2015), dkmura (08-25-2015), MicVelo (08-25-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 07:18 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by JBJ
Here are some pics I took on Sunday. I was out there checking out the SCCA PDX program. Always nice to get some track time.

Thanks for sharing JBJ. Awesome. Nothing like pics to add depth to the story!!

David, just looking at all the photos in thread again.... Changed your tire sponsorship?

Mic
Old 08-25-2015, 08:50 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Thanks for sharing JBJ. Awesome. Nothing like pics to add depth to the story!!

David, just looking at all the photos in thread again.... Changed your tire sponsorship?

Mic
Brian- THANKS SO MUCH for adding your shots of that race! It's somewhat embarrassing not to have taken any photos/video in this day and age, but when you're the wrench, engineer, driver and chief bottle washer of one of these race efforts, that tends to slip down the priority list. Your photos do an excellent job of showing how well the Z handles at the limit, and how hard it was to maintain a lead on the opposition that day.

BTW- Brian's chrome silver track model was one of the fastest cars in the PDX sessions at HPR. Nice to have somebody else driving their Z the way it was meant to be enjoyed!

Mic- you're right about tires. In 2008, we had a sponsorship deal through Toyo and ran R888s throughout that season. In 2009-10, the Hoosier R6 was the tire of choice and from 2010-12 I ran the (then new) Goodyear RS R-compound tire. But from 2012 on, I've been quite happy with BFGoodrich and in particular, their R1-S radial. They warm up fast, wear like iron and have deliver predictable performance through multiple heat cycles.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:41 AM
JBJ

My pleasure. I had a blast out there. It's nice to see a couple of Z's in their natural habitat.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:23 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Glad you enjoyed the SCCA PDX program. How did it compare with the NASA HPDEs you started with? Was the track time more or less equal?
Old 08-27-2015, 12:17 PM
JBJ

Glad you enjoyed the SCCA PDX program. How did it compare with the NASA HPDEs you started with? Was the track time more or less equal?
The track time was the same. Four twenty minute sessions per day. Which doesn't seem like a lot. Until you are there. It's much harder/tiring than I would have ever thought.

In comparison, that's a tough one. Especially considering that PDX is 1/3 cheaper than NASA HPDE. I really like the folks at NASA. Everyone there has been great. They really go out of their way to make sure you are enjoying yourself and improving your driving. But everyone I dealt with at SCCA was great as well.

I don't have anything negative to say about either organization. That being said, there are just little things that make NASA seem a little more oriented to moving up towards TT or wheel to wheel racing. Where as PDX seems more like a track day. I don't really know how to explain it. NASA just seems a little more mature. Not necessarily in the age of the drivers, but perhaps where the drivers are headed and the organization as a whole. But I think that may just be the fact that PDX is kind of new. I have no doubt that the SCCA program has great potential and I fully intend to drive at both SCCA and NASA events in the future.

I certainly have more opinions on the matter, but having only driven one day with the PDX program, I'll reserve them until I have a little more experience with SCCA and their PDX days. As I said, they are both absolutely great programs and I wish more people would get out there and take advantage of these awesome opportunities.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:32 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Great comments and thanks for your thoughts. If you don't mind, I'll pass them on to the SCCA PDX folks as they're always looking for feedback.

Another item to mention as part of this "refresh" was some noise from the rear of the Z after the Saturday races. The RR hub was woobly and I got some assistance from some friends who were spectating. Tony Wilson, who was on my race crew back it the 90's said: "It's not a race if you don't work on a race car". So, while I replaced the front brake pads with new Cobalt Friction XR2 units, Tony got the hub swapped out and all the ARP studs back in. We also found the LR brake dust shield had sheared all the spot welds, so the sheet metal shears came out to solve that problem.

The only other issue was the cool suit unit didn't work. Like Mic's "Murphy's Law" thread, this was a repair I'd handled myself. Sourced and replaced both cool and hot quick disconnect valves, as well as another compression fitting. Even though the pump seemed to work fine, there was insufficient pressure to get any cooling water pumping through my shirt. After much troubleshooting, there was no other alternative but to pull the unit and go without for the following day. Murphy strikes again- but at least the Z ran well in the Sunday races!
Old 08-30-2015, 08:01 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

This weekend seems a bit hollow after such a full one at the divisional finale last weekend. Now the question is whether to go out-of-state to run another race and in which class? Seems a pity to have refreshed the racecar and not run it. Last year I raced at Road Atlanta and won the American Road Race of Champions, so that's an option. Checked the schedule out west, but it seems the only SCCA race is the season finale at Thunderhill to consider. Closer to home, the future of Miller Motorsports Park in Utah is up in the air and has announced its closing. Maybe try to find one last race or trackday event there?

Then there's the question of which class to run in the future? If it's T3, I'll have to figure out how to add a significant amount of weight to the car. Might have to fabricate a weight box to the PS that would hold a significant amount of lead. And while I enjoy running the Z without any ballast in T1, there's no way to make it truly competitive with the other cars in class like Ferrari F430, Porsche 911 GT3 cup, Viper, Boss 302S and Corvette C6/7. I could make it faster by using a composite hatch with wing, front splitter and small enhancements, but no big bullet to bring it on par with those supercars. Still, it's fun to dream!
Old 08-30-2015, 08:06 AM
JBJ

How would she run in T2?
Old 08-30-2015, 08:19 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Good question- the 350Z is not classified in T2. Why not? My guess is the SCCA rule makers wanted to make sure the majority of Z33 competitors went to T3, where it's now considered to be an overdog (hence the extra ballast). But T2 has also evolved into the domain of the Corvette C6 Z06, so it would be no cakewalk to make a Z competitive there either.

BTW- here's another shot from JBJ to show off the 350Z race refresh:

Old 08-30-2015, 09:21 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

SFR Double Regional weekend of 9/12-13, Sonoma Raceway

http://www.sfrscca.org/component/opt...9999999/cid,0/

I'm not going.... a bunch of us are going drinki....er, kart racing to celebrate a bachelor losing his bachelorhood.

Was going to go to IndyCar at Sonoma today as well but.... other stuff came up (related to the above). Heh heh.... off to get a g-fix in preparation.

Mic
Old 08-30-2015, 10:45 AM
JBJ

NASA has PMP on the 19th/20th of this month and HPR again in October. Me and the wife will be at both events.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:37 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by MicVelo
SFR Double Regional weekend of 9/12-13, Sonoma Raceway

http://www.sfrscca.org/component/opt...9999999/cid,0/

I'm not going.... a bunch of us are going drinki....er, kart racing to celebrate a bachelor losing his bachelorhood.

Was going to go to IndyCar at Sonoma today as well but.... other stuff came up (related to the above). Heh heh.... off to get a g-fix in preparation.

Mic
Thanks for that suggestion and I had seen that SCCA race at Sears Point...I mean, Sonoma Raceway. But it's only about two weeks away and I was looking for a race in the fall. Last time I raced there was at the Pacific Coast Runoffs in the 90's and have to say, it's the world's greatest rollercoaster in many ways!
Old 08-30-2015, 03:46 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by JBJ
NASA has PMP on the 19th/20th of this month and HPR again in October. Me and the wife will be at both events.
Brian- thanks for that suggestion. I'm sure NASA would welcome me back, but there would be little to race for. Racing at the end of the season is like that; either you're racing for all the marbles or none. As an example, I needed every point from last weekend to secure both the T1 and T3 class championships and at this point in my career, it's what motivates me.

That's where traditional end-of-the-year races like the Runoffs, ARRC or Pacific Coast Runoffs have a particular draw for veteran racers. The one race-for-all-the-marbles concept attracts bigger fields and tougher competition for those racers seeking a worthy challenge.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:01 PM
JBJ

Brian- thanks for that suggestion. I'm sure NASA would welcome me back, but there would be little to race for. Racing at the end of the season is like that; either you're racing for all the marbles or none. As an example, I needed every point from last weekend to secure both the T1 and T3 class championships and at this point in my career, it's what motivates me.

That's where traditional end-of-the-year races like the Runoffs, ARRC or Pacific Coast Runoffs have a particular draw for veteran racers. The one race-for-all-the-marbles concept attracts bigger fields and tougher competition for those racers seeking a worthy challenge.
Well, I guess you better just take those KW Clubsports off and sell them to me then.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:02 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by JBJ
Well, I guess you better just take those KW Clubsports off and sell them to me then.
If I don't go racing anywhere else and put the Konis back on, they're yours! Get that bank account warmed up and ready!

Quick Reply: 350Z Race Refresh