MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Winterizing the Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/607730-winterizing-the-z.html)

dfresh713 11-14-2015 12:43 PM

Winterizing the Z

Its that time and prepping for the Northeast winter, just completed the following.

Wanted the absolute best winter tires and picked up and installed a new set of Michelin XIce Tires .

Picked up Deicer windshield fluid, and some xice winter wipers. Never used either of these so hope they work well. Next step is to pick up salt and load my trunk up with salt bags to put some weight on the rear wheels.

HRMoneyPit 11-14-2015 01:46 PM

Winter?

KornerCarver 11-14-2015 02:46 PM

I wouldn't advise putting weight in the trunk. The will simply unbalance your car and make it more difficult to control in the slippery conditions.

dkmura 11-14-2015 02:52 PM

Extra weight is probably not needed in the trunk with use of four snow tires. But add a thorough check of your battery to the list, and probable replacement if it's older than five years old. Also, when was the last time you changed your antifreeze?

dboyzalter 11-14-2015 04:22 PM

My wondering consisted of not going to drive unless its nice outside and the roads are cleared. Also took off my semi slicks and put on "winter wheels"

Spike100 11-14-2015 05:24 PM

As others mention, there is no need to add rear weight. You are going with snow tires at all corners, so you are good there.

I have been driving my 350z during the winter months (studless snow tires front and rear) and never had any problem.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....6de9376d85.jpg

SR71 11-14-2015 06:55 PM

Yup, all winterized.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....d5f6544f6e.jpg

andrewvk 11-14-2015 08:05 PM

uhm lol........

balanced weight over the rear wheels will give you the mechanical advantage.
the front wheels do not drive, but only steer.

this is a very common practice in 2wd trucks, understandably they have less weight to begin with in the rear. but the more force the the ground on your drive wheels the better.

toss some sand bags in the hatch, you will thank yourself when it snows that you didnt listen to people thinking close to 50/50 weight distribution helps in snow...

Frostydc4 11-15-2015 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by dfresh713 (Post 10681286)
Its that time and prepping for the Northeast winter, just completed the following.

Wanted the absolute best winter tires and picked up and installed a new set of Michelin XIce Tires .

Picked up Deicer windshield fluid, and some xice winter wipers. Never used either of these so hope they work well. Next step is to pick up salt and load my trunk up with salt bags to put some weight on the rear wheels.

IMO I would keep a small shovel in the trunk instead of salt bags.

KornerCarver 11-15-2015 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by andrewvk (Post 10681408)
uhm lol........

this is a very common practice in 2wd trucks, understandably they have less weight to begin with in the rear. but the more force the the ground on your drive wheels the better.

toss some sand bags in the hatch, you will thank yourself when it snows that you didnt listen to people thinking close to 50/50 weight distribution helps in snow...

I agree the added weight in the back of a pickup generally helps. However, the Z is not a pickup and doesn't need the additional weight in the back.

sauer420 11-15-2015 12:18 PM

I used to use weight in the back of my 240sx with shitty winter tires, but my 350Z with Blizzaks did not need extra weight to handle the Maine winters. Never got stuck or had trouble on a hill (but I did have hill issues in my FWD Celica with cheaper snow tires). Now I drive a winter beater though, it's nice not to obsessively wash the salt off my Z or worry about other drivers who cannot stop in snow with their all-season tires.

Spike100 11-15-2015 01:54 PM

Are you talking about pickup trucks when you say: "this is a very common practice in 2wd trucks."

You definitely do not need to add additional weight in the 350z trunk, In fact that is foolish since you create other problems/liabilities.

Originally Posted by andrewvk (Post 10681408)
uhm lol........

tlbeas42 11-16-2015 04:34 AM

Winterizing

1 Attachment(s)
The Z is resting for the winter

Syner 11-16-2015 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by dkmura (Post 10681316)
Extra weight is probably not needed in the trunk with use of four snow tires. But add a thorough check of your battery to the list, and probable replacement if it's older than five years old. Also, when was the last time you changed your antifreeze?

Wouldn't you want ice tires on a car like a Z rather than snow tires? Most of your driving will probably be on ice/snow pack rather than fresh fluff. I'm not denigrating your advice, just asking...

+1 to antifreeze. If I don't change mine, I test it before winterizing.

The Swede 11-17-2015 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Syner (Post 10681715)
Wouldn't you want ice tires on a car like a Z rather than snow tires? Most of your driving will probably be on ice/snow pack rather than fresh fluff. I'm not denigrating your advice, just asking...

Studded ice tires are only better on pure ice. In all other conditions a quality studless ice/sno tire will as good or outperform (studless are MUCH better on bare/wet asphalt than studded) and outlast them while also providing better fuel economy.

+1 on checking the battery and a small shovel.
Don't know how many times I've been forced to dig my way out of and in to parking spots cause my car wouldn't clear the snow/ice wall.
It's also perfect for building mad jumps for snowboarding or your buddy's Volvo which may or may not suffer irreparable damage from epic air time (sorry bro).

Also check your paint to make sure there's no bare metal or primer poking through (stone chips, scratches and stuff like that) because that will develop car cancer in no time from all the salt.

g3rard 11-21-2015 06:39 PM

I also recommend applying a good wax and sealant for paint protection. A windshield cover is a good idea also if you are planning to park your ride outside.

dkmura 11-22-2015 06:29 AM

+1 on doing a good detail with sealant at the end for winterizing. Fortunately, the race Z stays in the trailer and the street Z in the garage for most of the winter.