Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I did it now, my son wants one

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 04:33 AM
Inspector71

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I did it now, my son wants one

As mentioned in my first post, I have a newer Z and wanted an older one to build, modify, and play with. I looked at Rx7s (still have one), the 300ZX, and the 240 through 280 Zs. The 240s and 260s are way too expensive but the 280 is about right. Then I realized I can buy a used 350 that is ready to go for about the same as a 280 needing restoration and it already has lots of power and handles great. So, I started downloading everything I could on the 350 and comparing it to other sports cars. It is a steal. My 13 year old was slated to get the 84 Rx7 when all its "problems" are finally sorted out. I collected a lot of information on how to build the 350 the way I want for me. When done, my 13 year old declared he wants the 350 when I get it. There goes my "toy" but I'm glad I got him into the hobby. Two 350s maybe?
Old 05-18-2016, 05:51 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Sport car+teen=not a good idea
The following 6 users liked this post by turboed350z:
CK_32 (05-18-2016), Diode Dynamics (05-18-2016), jhc (05-18-2016), Spoolin'Fool (05-18-2016), travlee (05-18-2016), zakmartin (05-18-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-18-2016, 06:00 AM
My07350z

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Not necessarily. He just needs to be taught right. I got my Z at 16 and I'm 18 now. I have never had a major incident.
The following 2 users liked this post by My07350z:
MicVelo (05-18-2016), m_0g (05-28-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 06:22 AM
Spoolin'Fool

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

THIS!!!! The Z is not a beginner car at all, let him have the FB Rx7 lol, slow ish and cant get into much trouble. The Z is one of the deadliest cars for single car accidents think about that before you hand the keys over just saying.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:44 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

These guys are right about the Z being the deadliest car but the same can be said for any RWD sports car. It's like a motorcycles.. Your not a rider until you crash and ride again. In the Z or any RWD car you will spin the eff out when learning and or pushing limits and it is how you recover or handle the situation that can determine your staying alive.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:49 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Hooooboy, I'ma get dished again but.....

Both my kids started college with basic transport cars, a Toyota and a Honda.

Both went to driving school.

Both now own Z's.

Learning how to handle a car properly does NOT give license to be reckless. Quite the contrary. Both have proper respect for the laws of physics and have no inclination to engage in silly road antics.

No worries, me.

I now shall retire to my Nomex lined cave for the inevitable flying dishes. HAR!
The following 2 users liked this post by MicVelo:
KornerCarver (05-18-2016), Spoolin'Fool (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 07:18 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Hooooboy, I'ma get dished again but.....

Both my kids started college with basic transport cars, a Toyota and a Honda.

Both went to driving school.

Both now own Z's.

Learning how to handle a car properly does NOT give license to be reckless. Quite the contrary. Both have proper respect for the laws of physics and have no inclination to engage in silly road antics.

No worries, me.

I now shall retire to my Nomex lined cave for the inevitable flying dishes. HAR!
Typical mic slipping the driving achool into any post.....

Not gonna lie, kinda wish i had a dad like you lol. I didnt learn about driving school until AFTER i needed it.... typical right?

Now when i talk to the younger group. Mainly teens, i always advice driving school. Everyone thinks theyre a good driver.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:22 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by My07350z
Not necessarily. He just needs to be taught right. I got my Z at 16 and I'm 18 now. I have never had a major incident.
"No major incident"... you crashed at 16... slid 30ft AFTER you crashed.... i would consider that as MAJOR incident...
Old 05-18-2016, 07:30 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Typical mic slipping the driving achool into any post.....

Not gonna lie, kinda wish i had a dad like you lol. I didnt learn about driving school until AFTER i needed it.... typical right?

Now when i talk to the younger group. Mainly teens, i always advice driving school. Everyone thinks theyre a good driver.
I spent my life selling stuff.... you think I'm gonna miss an opportunity? Hahahaha.

But yer absolutely right using the word "thinks" in your last sentence.

You lose that when you go to driving school. My primary instructor put that kind of thinking out of our heads on the very first on-track session navigating Sears Point's (now Sonoma Raceway) 11 turns at speed....

...as the five passengers in a full size VAN.

Oh, and I should point out that SHE did it while talking the entire time while the rest of us were trying to find things to hold on to. And I only point out her gender because I learned another lesson that day. Respect the driver talent NO MATTER what gender. Whew! Reliving that white knuckle session just gave me shivers recalling it. BRRRRRR.....
Old 05-18-2016, 07:37 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by MicVelo
I spent my life selling stuff.... you think I'm gonna miss an opportunity? Hahahaha.

But yer absolutely right using the word "thinks" in your last sentence.

You lose that when you go to driving school. My primary instructor put that kind of thinking out of our heads on the very first on-track session navigating Sears Point's (now Sonoma Raceway) 11 turns at speed....

...as the five passengers in a full size VAN.

Oh, and I should point out that SHE did it while talking the entire time while the rest of us were trying to find things to hold on to. And I only point out her gender because I learned another lesson that day. Respect the driver talent NO MATTER what gender. Whew! Reliving that white knuckle session just gave me shivers recalling it. BRRRRRR.....
Why were you in the kitchen and why was she driving a stove?

Lol i kid. But yea i use to think i was a great driver. Spotless record, able to handle 300hp cars on the street. You know, typical teenage foolishness.

Until a good driver showed me how bad i actually sucked...only then did i learn such a thing as driving school existed.

I use to thibk driving schools were like drivers ed for the old people who needs a refresher. Learn so much now haha
Old 05-18-2016, 07:43 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by My07350z

No... I was taught right and with any amount of peer pressure any kid with any want of a sports car wants it for the "sport" part... If they weren't about that they would just want a car with out the sport lol

I was very cautious and careful with my cars because I had to pay and work for my own. But found my self talked into a few street races, mostly from the kids with other sports cars and the curiosity of "whos car is better"

Teens+sports car = bad is a good formula. How many news broadcasts have you seen with a Prius or Nissan Leaf involved street racing crash...? exactly lol
Old 05-18-2016, 07:48 AM
gc350z03

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All of these people have good points, but you are the only one who knows your son and how mature he is. I got my 350z at 15 now I am 17 and it is being built and boosted. Just go with what you think but make sure he learns how to handle it first.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:48 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by CK_32
No... I was taught right and with any amount of peer pressure any kid with any want of a sports car wants it for the "sport" part... If they weren't about that they would just want a car with out the sport lol

I was very cautious and careful with my cars because I had to pay and work for my own. But found my self talked into a few street races, mostly from the kids with other sports cars and the curiosity of "whos car is better"

Teens+sports car = bad is a good formula. How many news broadcasts have you seen with a Prius or Nissan Leaf involved street racing crash...? exactly lol

I saw on tv a prius outrunning a ton of cops nation wide... havent seen any sport car do that...
Old 05-18-2016, 08:53 AM
corbin9

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have been driving for less than 5-10 years, posting your experiences with your Z is irrelevant.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:59 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 203 Likes on 150 Posts

"No major incident"... you crashed at 16... slid 30ft AFTER you crashed.... i would consider that as MAJOR incident...
Old 05-18-2016, 09:08 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
These guys are right about the Z being the deadliest car but the same can be said for any RWD sports car. It's like a motorcycles.. Your not a rider until you crash and ride again. In the Z or any RWD car you will spin the eff out when learning and or pushing limits and it is how you recover or handle the situation that can determine your staying alive.
Wow just wow. I don't understand how we survived with all the rear wheel drive cars before the 1980's. Virtually all cars were rear wheel drive until the '80's and somehow, magically, we survived those cars. I drove rear wheel drive cars from the early 1960's until about the mid 1980's. Rear wheel drive is not as deadly as you make it seem.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:09 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
Wow just wow. I don't understand how we survived with all the rear wheel drive cars before the 1980's. Virtually all cars were rear wheel drive until the '80's and somehow, magically, we survived those cars. I drove rear wheel drive cars from the early 1960's until about the mid 1980's. Rear wheel drive is not as deadly as you make it seem.

Same way we survived metal dash, 2 point lap belt and no air bags, people werent sissies back then.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:14 AM
mikeh22

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats with all these kids(15-16) year olds driving 350s... I thought I was young owning one at 18, now im 24 and still driving her, no accidents. I would definitely recommend owning other cars before the 350z to learn on. I went from old Saturn, to a Neon, and then finally when I had some money got a e46 325i, then to the 350z. I also delivered pizza for a couple years so by the time I got my 350z I was semi experienced in driving. Still wish I could afford driving driving school like Mic mentioned, one year left and ill have my degree so hopefully then. O I also have a old 1992 325is I drive during University, I would recommend something like that if he wants a sports car, ok power but not excessive tq like the 350z, which can get you into trouble if you dont know what your doing.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:30 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeh22
Whats with all these kids(15-16) year olds driving 350s... I thought I was young owning one at 18, now im 24 and still driving her, no accidents. I would definitely recommend owning other cars before the 350z to learn on. I went from old Saturn, to a Neon, and then finally when I had some money got a e46 325i, then to the 350z. I also delivered pizza for a couple years so by the time I got my 350z I was semi experienced in driving. Still wish I could afford driving driving school like Mic mentioned, one year left and ill have my degree so hopefully then. O I also have a old 1992 325is I drive during University, I would recommend something like that if he wants a sports car, ok power but not excessive tq like the 350z, which can get you into trouble if you dont know what your doing.

Not sure about how old you are.. But they are like late 90's E36's when I was in high school. They are older sporty cars. Most of which are hand me downs from parents ownership and or now semi affordable for entitled teens from parents with no sense and too much money.

All the teens in my area in Z's are always doing burnouts in the tracks or at gas stations looking for races with beat down Z's cause they cant afford maintenance or just full of mods thanks to mom and dad and their part time gig. Or they ar eold people with stock clear wellt aken care of Z's lol

Ive yet to see anything but those stereo types in my area.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:30 AM
gc350z03

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by corbin9
If you have been driving for less than 5-10 years, posting your experiences with your Z is irrelevant.
Not accurate at all, if anything it could add in the younger z enthusiasts point of view. All the older people on the forum assume all of us kids are too big of morons to drive a car just because it has around 300hp and is RWD. Maybe when these people were growing up that was the case but nowadays, especially where I live, it is commonplace for kids to get a brand new 5.0 or even a 370z as their first car, and neither myself nor any of my friends who drive even faster cars have had any incedints whatsoever.

Quick Reply: I did it now, my son wants one