2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z Misfire??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 03:33 PM
LowZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 350z Misfire??

Hey guys.

So about two weeks ago, I was driving down the street in my Z, and there was a street bike next to me. He revved at me, I revved at him, we went about our ways.

I parked my car for about two hours, got back to it, and when it started up it sounded kinda weird. I took a quick look, dismissed it as me being paranoid, and got in and started driving. As I was driving down the street, my car began bogging down and losing power.

I pulled over to a gas station, messed with it for a bit. Checked my battery, intake, etc. Noticed I was throwing a code. (Did not have a code reader at the time)

Got the car home, and on the drive home the SES light began flashing. By the time I had gotten home, the light had turned off altogether.

I'm assuming it was misfiring, because of the research I had done, flashing SES light = P0300, random misfire.

I replaced all 6 spark plugs, and when I got to cylinder 5, it was full of oil. So I pulled the coil pack, dried everything off, soaked up the oil, replaced the spark plug, put the coil pack back in, and plugged everything in. Still misfiring. (Yes I know my valve seal is bad, that's in my to-do list, just need the car running first).

So I figured since the cylinder 5 coil pack took an oil bath, it was toast. Went out, got a brand new coil pack, and put it in. Still misfiring, although now it won't stay running either, and while it's cranking there's some apparent smoke coming from behind the motor. I checked and made sure, and my coil plug for cylinder 4 and 6 are not mixed up, since I heard that was a common mistake.

Any ideas? I need to get this car back on the road, I'm horribly sick of driving my civic.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: It's a DE, by the way. 04

Last edited by LowZ33; 03-09-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:52 AM
rllynch1

Just googling P0300 brings up quite a few options for what the code could be - anything as simple as the plugs (which you've already replaced), to as bad as a leaking head gasket.
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...-jamahl-walker

It's easy to just start throwing money at what you think is the problem but, as you've found, it doesn't always solve it. Take a look through that list. Find the sensors, and while the car is running, unplug them and replug them and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't, you may have found your problem. It's better to start with a free diagnosis than to just dump a bunch of cash into it and still not find the issue.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:08 AM
CFS_Z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

smoke can just be a leak ( water or oil )
id try doing a compression test.
make sure your getting spark to that cylinder aswell as fuel.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:09 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Tough to diagnose when it won't stay running but,pull the connections to the coil packs 1 at a time just to make sure it truly is #5 - start with that one. Make sure all other connections are correct, and good - it seems beyond coincidental that the problem got worse after the spark plug change.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:36 AM
ishyne22

Camshaft position sensor back of engine probably the one near cylinder 5. Change it. Change them both for that matter as well as ckp. They crap the bed. Problem fixed. If not check maf.

Last edited by ishyne22; 03-10-2017 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Detail
Old 03-10-2017, 09:34 AM
ishyne22

99% sure these will fix your issue. If you need asap autozone stocks them usually.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162034713534
Old 03-10-2017, 12:57 PM
LowZ33

Originally Posted by ishyne22
99% sure these will fix your issue. If you need asap autozone stocks them usually.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162034713534
I'm gonna go ahead and spring for these. Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 03-10-2017, 01:51 PM
AARONHL

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My SES flashes when my oil is real low
Old 03-10-2017, 03:38 PM
Arrtus

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LowZ33
I'm gonna go ahead and spring for these. Thanks for the heads-up!
I recommend investing in some higher quality sensors if you're going to be ordering off ebay. If you're paying $8 for each sensor, how good of a sensor will that be?
Old 03-10-2017, 04:54 PM
LowZ33

Originally Posted by Arrtus
I recommend investing in some higher quality sensors if you're going to be ordering off ebay. If you're paying $8 for each sensor, how good of a sensor will that be?
I'll be buying Duralast ones retail, not directly the ones he linked, haha.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:00 AM
PerfZ

Originally Posted by ishyne22
Camshaft position sensor back of engine probably the one near cylinder 5. Change it. Change them both for that matter as well as ckp. They crap the bed. Problem fixed. If not check maf.
Either of those sensors will throw a code, and it will tell you which CPS is bad. Nor will it cause a random misfire, in my expeeriecne anyway and I have had one fail. No sense spending $180 on the two CPS sensors and whatever on the crank sensor for no good reason. They didn't just happen to fail and they don't cause your indicated problem.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:40 AM
LowZ33

Originally Posted by PerfZ
Either of those sensors will throw a code, and it will tell you which CPS is bad. Nor will it cause a random misfire, in my expeeriecne anyway and I have had one fail. No sense spending $180 on the two CPS sensors and whatever on the crank sensor for no good reason. They didn't just happen to fail and they don't cause your indicated problem.
It was initially throwing a code, then stopped on the drive home. I'm not sure why.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:59 AM
PerfZ

Originally Posted by LowZ33
It was initially throwing a code, then stopped on the drive home. I'm not sure why.
Yes for random misfire which is not typically a symptom of a bad sensor in my experience. I had a bad CPS and it made the car hard to start when warm, not cold, but it ran fine. It did throw the code for the actual sensor though and I replaced it - $80 and 20 minutes. I have had some bad coil packs - had a bad ground which I believe caused it several times in rapid succession and the SES light did flash sometimes, but stayed on fully when not flashing. Code was random misfire. What I find strange with yours is that the problem got worse after you worked on it. Not insulting but that generally indicates operator error. Check ALL of your connections - some are a bit hidden and I know I have missed hooking something back up correctly after having it apart. 2003, owned since new, 157,000 miles with a few bolt ons, all installed by me. Not always correctly the first time lol.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:21 AM
LowZ33

Originally Posted by PerfZ
Yes for random misfire which is not typically a symptom of a bad sensor in my experience. I had a bad CPS and it made the car hard to start when warm, not cold, but it ran fine. It did throw the code for the actual sensor though and I replaced it - $80 and 20 minutes. I have had some bad coil packs - had a bad ground which I believe caused it several times in rapid succession and the SES light did flash sometimes, but stayed on fully when not flashing. Code was random misfire. What I find strange with yours is that the problem got worse after you worked on it. Not insulting but that generally indicates operator error. Check ALL of your connections - some are a bit hidden and I know I have missed hooking something back up correctly after having it apart. 2003, owned since new, 157,000 miles with a few bolt ons, all installed by me. Not always correctly the first time lol.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm probably going to re-check everything when I go to work on it again. I really want to get it back on the road, it's killing me lol.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:34 AM
RobPhoboS

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Have a look at my thread, see if that's any use:

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...0-misfire.html

I doubt it'll be the CPS (for the reason above), and definitely don't anyone use a cheap ebay one (my car stalled at a junction and wouldn't fire up for 5 mins hah).

Try the in-line spark tool like I show on the thread if you've used contact cleaner on the MAF already and done the plugs.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:56 AM
LowZ33

Update:

I'm ordering new (higher quality) camshaft position sensors, crankshaft position sensor, and a Walbro 255LPH fuel pump. Figured it can't hurt to replace them and I've got the cash available right now. Will update once all the new parts are in.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:48 PM
eddiethree50z

Exclamation 350z misfire

Had that happen to my 2006 350z at one point.
Driving perfectly fine and suddenly started jerking and eventually stalled out on the side of the fwy.
I ended up taking it to the nissan dealer and had them run a diagnostic (118$)and sure enough i had a misfire on cylinder 3 and also a random misfire.
So what they did was replace the ground wiring i guess it was causing the coil packs to blister up..also spark plugs and battery.
685$ total but it ran like a champ
Old 03-29-2017, 08:10 AM
PerfZ

Originally Posted by eddiethree50z
Had that happen to my 2006 350z at one point.
Driving perfectly fine and suddenly started jerking and eventually stalled out on the side of the fwy.
I ended up taking it to the nissan dealer and had them run a diagnostic (118$)and sure enough i had a misfire on cylinder 3 and also a random misfire.
So what they did was replace the ground wiring i guess it was causing the coil packs to blister up..also spark plugs and battery.
685$ total but it ran like a champ
Sounds logical. I was blowing coil packs right and left and it turned out to be a bad ground connection. Fortunately I isolated it myself and since then, not a single problem.
The following users liked this post:
RobPhoboS (03-29-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 04:06 PM
mattymoe

hey all new here i have 2004 de. I got the infamous Po300 code. I unplugged the maf sensor and plugged it back in and it ran fine for ten minutes,then it had a rough idle and and sputtered under load again,I repeated the process and same thing.Cleaned the MAf and now the problem is consistent. could it be a spark plug or a ignition coil,I checked coils for the blistering and couldn't find any blistering. i thought if those where bad then they are bad and the car wouldn't have an intermittent fault. Where do you suggest i go next? BUY a new MAF sensor?
Old 07-15-2017, 10:12 PM
mattymoe

bump?