Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Maximum amount I should pay?

Old 03-10-2017, 11:34 AM
Nick_350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maximum amount I should pay?

I'm taking my Z to this local shop where this dude pretty much does everything. I want to get a custom harness bar made and installed, and also a custom seat bracket for my NRG bucket seat with a slider. I was wondering what's the price range you guys think would be fair ? I was thinking maybe around $450 ?He told me he can't give me an estimate until he figures out how exactly he's gonna go about doing it and what he needs. What's the most I should pay? Thank you guys I appreciate it!
Old 03-10-2017, 03:02 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Wait until your guy can give you an estimate and go from there. Don't create a budget out of thin air.
The following users liked this post:
Spike100 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Nismo Ninja

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Everyone has a different rate they will charge for their work. Like your guy said. He needs to estimate the amount of time he will need to put in.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:17 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Did you want it done right?

I'd triple your $450 when it's all said & done...GL
Old 03-13-2017, 05:55 AM
PerfZ

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

"Custom" could very well mean "expensive". There is no "maximum" amount you should pay. Get his estimate and go from there. If it is still too rich for your blood, get another estimate. If still too rich, which I suspect it will be, either raise your budget or move onto another project.....
Old 03-16-2017, 05:00 AM
mignav01

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You get,what You pay for, and those are somewhat important parts sooo...
Old 03-16-2017, 07:48 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Gatta pay to play son.

If you want race car... Better get that wallet out to look like one.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:59 AM
CK_32

As someone who has worked for a machine and a fab shop, who has worked with a bunch of fab techs, and hell even had a good life long friend as a roommate who was a fab tech....

What YOU and a bunch of people don't understand is, you can not give a price quote for custom or one off stuff like this. If he quotes you $500 and sure say the materials and his skill and labor are below that...

But say one bar or area gives him a hell of a time and he has to do it 5,6 7 or 18 times to get it right or sit and draw and map to make it function properly and safely.

He just wasted $6,000 of his time effort and work, because he fckt up and quoted you $500.. And because he quoted you that, this current generation is so selfish, even if he did spend 10 years working and perfecting this and went out of business to do this custom crap. they don't care and want what they were quoted.

Ive seen customers literally not even pay yet, be told it cant be done and will have to be done for more $$ due to bad price quoting and it being much more difficult of a task than originated.

They demand they get what they were quoted. Even if they haven't spent a dime and they techs say well lets just call it off, no charge, I just cant do it.

People literally throw fits thinking they are entitled to it anyways for what ever price was ever quoted. I've seen some people go as far as trying to sue shops to get their underpriced work done again when they haven't even spent a dime but just demand they get what they know was VERY under quoted and a robbery basically. Which honestly is why a LOT, and a LOT of GREAT fab shops (at least in my area) are out of business.

Either too many people want $10k work for $5 and don't understand what goes into making it right... Or the shops have terrible price adjusters and quote estimations that puts their shop out of business from one or two bad quotes and jobs that puts them in debt.

But granted yes some fab techs over charge or just think their seconds are worth billions. But most of the time its just ganna cost a lot.

Which is why fab techs, machining and welding is such a skilled trade, hardly ever is it a one and done. Honestly I don't think Ive EVER seen a one and done project. Most the time it takes 10+ attempts and adjustments to make a simple thing work or fit right. And that's one piece of what sometimes is 100 or more pieces or fitments.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I feel like this is a much needed PSA... Like my first post.

Gatta pay to play, if not, stay stock or buy off the shelf parts.

Last edited by CK_32; 03-16-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:43 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 440 Likes on 356 Posts

Don't they sell harness bars for like $400 without installation? I would assume a custom one would cost about twice that
Old 03-16-2017, 12:15 PM
CK_32

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Don't they sell harness bars for like $400 without installation? I would assume a custom one would cost about twice that
They do...

But a lot of people opt for fabbed or made to order parts just to have bragging rights it was made to order vs off the shelf..

90% of the stuff people want custom fabbed usually already exists. They just want to add their spin or have a "custom" one.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:00 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Yeah but his buddy can fabricate one out of pvc or abs and save a bunch of money and weight.

Search this Thread