Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What Do You Think Of These Mods? (About To Get a 03 350z)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 07:10 PM
Isxlow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Do You Think Of These Mods? (About To Get a 03 350z)

Hi! Im new here and I wanted to know what your guy's opinions are on these mods that I found that I want to get for my 350z.

Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit - http://turbokits.com/nissan/350z/tur...e_turbo_kit/53

It claims to make around 450hp with it tuned at 8psi level which is the range I want for power.

Motordyne Catback Exhaust - https://motordyneengineering.com/pro...hockwave-tdx2/

I was also looking at this and I have heard Motordyne makes great systems. Not too loud at low RPMs but roars up in the high revs.

So yeah I wanted your guy's opinion on these and if it would be worth it. If you know of any other mods that are cheaper but can still deliver great performance please tell me! Thanks!
Old 03-15-2017, 08:02 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you read the FI section? You'll find plenty of helpful info on FI builds. Some have had problems with Tubonetics kits, others have been fine. A single turbo is going to leave you short on low end power but is good for mid range and top end. You may have turbo lag as a result. Singles are sometimes preferred as a daily driver as you're seeing vacuum rather than boost. If you're using it as a daily driver then a single will put less strain on the motor.
Personally I like the Motordyne exhaust.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:14 PM
Isxlow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by samsniss350z
Have you read the FI section? You'll find plenty of helpful info on FI builds. Some have had problems with Tubonetics kits, others have been fine. A single turbo is going to leave you short on low end power but is good for mid range and top end. You may have turbo lag as a result. Singles are sometimes preferred as a daily driver as you're seeing vacuum rather than boost. If you're using it as a daily driver then a single will put less strain on the motor.
Personally I like the Motordyne exhaust.
Thanks man ill have to check it out. And yeah it would be a daily driver. Im sure if I got a good tune with the turbnetics it should be fine. Thanks for the info.!
Old 03-15-2017, 08:14 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Sorta what Sam said...I'd stay away from any turbo and supercharger setup unless youre experienced with FI setups ... it gets very expensive, very quickly if you are unexperienced.

Motordyne makes good stuff...if you like their exhaust setup then go with it.

There is no replacement for making 300whp to 400whp plus with a turbo or supercharger.

Do massive massive massive amounts of research over a year or two before you purchase your own. Such experience might be:

reading dozens and dozens of my350z members builds - what worked for them, what didnt, what results they got

find people in your area that are building turbo'd cars and volunteer to help them out - even if it's just hanging out in the garage...

read a few books - such as maximum boost(corky bell), Automotive Engine Management Systems(Jeff Hartman), Engine Management Advanced Tuning(Greg Banish) - to name a few.

I did a bunch of online learning with High Performance Academy (learn to tune . com) and it was a great experience. Consider their learning programs to fully invest yourself.

And, not that you are, but please please please dont be a douche...

and for the record - I may not consider myself a newb to FI but surer-that-**** I'm no expert...Ive recognized that the more I learn the more I realize that I don't know ****...

Last edited by bealljk; 03-15-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:20 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm no expert in FI, but I'm sure a lot of veterans will tell you to build stronger internals especially if you plan on keeping the car for a long time. My advice would be getting some sticky tires, a good limited slip differential and shorter gear ratios and you'll feel a big difference in performance without shortening the lifespan of a engine that was not meant to be turbocharged given it's high compression ratio. You'll have every single last horse getting to the ground.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:32 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

FI is never plug and play... When you go turbo your throwing away your reliability for speed.

Just part of how it works.
The following users liked this post:
ARRRT (03-17-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 11:21 AM
Z1Motorsports
Banned

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk
Sorta what Sam said...I'd stay away from any turbo and supercharger setup unless youre experienced with FI setups ... it gets very expensive, very quickly if you are unexperienced.

Motordyne makes good stuff...if you like their exhaust setup then go with it.

There is no replacement for making 300whp to 400whp plus with a turbo or supercharger.

Do massive massive massive amounts of research over a year or two before you purchase your own. Such experience might be:

reading dozens and dozens of my350z members builds - what worked for them, what didnt, what results they got

find people in your area that are building turbo'd cars and volunteer to help them out - even if it's just hanging out in the garage...

read a few books - such as maximum boost(corky bell), Automotive Engine Management Systems(Jeff Hartman), Engine Management Advanced Tuning(Greg Banish) - to name a few.

I did a bunch of online learning with High Performance Academy (learn to tune . com) and it was a great experience. Consider their learning programs to fully invest yourself.

And, not that you are, but please please please dont be a douche...

and for the record - I may not consider myself a newb to FI but surer-that-**** I'm no expert...Ive recognized that the more I learn the more I realize that I don't know ****...
Agreed but when done right, FI cars are the way to go.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:31 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

OK, haven't said it in, wow, over a week! But....

Consider improving the driver first. I don't know you or your abilities but driving skills are the NUMBER ONE BEST improvement to ANY car. And it transfers from one car to every car you'll ever own.

Be it a formal driving school, going to and participating in autocross (particularly the ride-along part if you have willing people, which you almost always do).

After getting some of that under your belt and spending the seat time to really get to know your car; then consider the supporting mods FIRST. Brakes, suspension, etc.

Notice I haven't mentioned power mods until this last sentence. Point is that all the extra power in the world don't make a damm bit of difference if you and the car aren't ready to use it PROPERLY.

[ Off soapbox and let's see if I can go another week without saying it. ]
The following 2 users liked this post by MicVelo:
ARRRT (03-17-2017), Spike100 (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 03:19 PM
coletrickle74

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Car is almost 15 years old. I would do routine maintenance before adding boost. Suspension is probably shot unless its been replaced recently. Diff bushing probably blown as well.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:40 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

LMFAO. That exhaust won't even work with a TN kit. If you can't figure that out then maybe you shouldn't be looking for 450whp out of a tn kit at 8psi
Old 03-17-2017, 07:48 AM
PerfZ

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^^^
This. I am the original owner of my '03 and the last thing I would do is go FI on an engine, and total car, with 157,000 miles - and especially on a daily driver. Believe me, that car will not be a 'daily driver" unless you have a ton of money to have it done right and by the right shop. I went with having that '03 and then bought a very high quality modded 90 TT with 400+ RWHP for when I want to play with boost. Best of both worlds and less money too.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:02 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 203 Likes on 150 Posts

Ok, the "driver mod" post is here...just waiting for the first mention of selling the Z and buying a Corvette and this thread will be complete.
The following 2 users liked this post by WYZIWYG:
MicVelo (03-17-2017), samsniss350z (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 08:36 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by coletrickle74
Car is almost 15 years old. I would do routine maintenance before adding boost. Suspension is probably shot unless its been replaced recently. Diff bushing probably blown as well.
Tires and a new limited slip differential will do wonders for acceleration though. My Z felt quicker with those mods and I was satisfied.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:03 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Well OP is from saturn so obviously his head is in the stars and this is a dreamer thread. Car will be Duganed out before thanksgiving.

But yeah get some turbo... I have a turbo Nissan and its been very reliable so far.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:18 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
Ok, the "driver mod" post is here...just waiting for the first mention of selling the Z and buying a Corvette and this thread will be complete.
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggg..... < stifle stifle > mmmmmmfffffff....... awww fuggid, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Well OP is from saturn so obviously his head is in the stars and this is a dreamer thread. Car will be Duganed out before thanksgiving.

But yeah get some turbo... I have a turbo Nissan and its been very reliable so far.
What a joke, Mike, er, Juke.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:41 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Find another daily driver before you bother.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:33 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo

What a joke, Mike, er, Juke.
1.6 turbo almost 200hp... Its will smoke any 350z

in the snow
Old 03-17-2017, 03:16 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
1.6 turbo almost 200hp... Its will smoke any 350z

in the snow
I keed you Mike. The Juke, while aesthetically questionable by the masses, is a fine car. I drove a Nismo RS a couple years ago and while it's acceleration wasn't quite to the level of a near-or-above 300 pony Z car, it moves right along.

Handling is definitely the Nismo's forte and while I didn't get a chance to do any "upcountry testing" as it were, the freeway offramp/cloverleaf manners of the car were great for scaring the pants off the salesperson. Laff....

But the bottom line was that I felt comfortable enough to throw it around after only a short amount of seat time.