What Do You Think Of These Mods? (About To Get a 03 350z) - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion



2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2017, 07:10 PM   #1
Isxlow
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Isxlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Saturn
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default What Do You Think Of These Mods? (About To Get a 03 350z)

Hi! Im new here and I wanted to know what your guy's opinions are on these mods that I found that I want to get for my 350z.

Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit - http://turbokits.com/nissan/350z/tur...e_turbo_kit/53

It claims to make around 450hp with it tuned at 8psi level which is the range I want for power.

Motordyne Catback Exhaust - https://motordyneengineering.com/pro...hockwave-tdx2/

I was also looking at this and I have heard Motordyne makes great systems. Not too loud at low RPMs but roars up in the high revs.

So yeah I wanted your guy's opinion on these and if it would be worth it. If you know of any other mods that are cheaper but can still deliver great performance please tell me! Thanks!
Isxlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:02 PM   #2
samsniss350z
Registered User
 
samsniss350z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: planet earth
Posts: 1,443
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Have you read the FI section? You'll find plenty of helpful info on FI builds. Some have had problems with Tubonetics kits, others have been fine. A single turbo is going to leave you short on low end power but is good for mid range and top end. You may have turbo lag as a result. Singles are sometimes preferred as a daily driver as you're seeing vacuum rather than boost. If you're using it as a daily driver then a single will put less strain on the motor.
Personally I like the Motordyne exhaust.
samsniss350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:14 PM   #3
Isxlow
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Isxlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Saturn
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsniss350z View Post
Have you read the FI section? You'll find plenty of helpful info on FI builds. Some have had problems with Tubonetics kits, others have been fine. A single turbo is going to leave you short on low end power but is good for mid range and top end. You may have turbo lag as a result. Singles are sometimes preferred as a daily driver as you're seeing vacuum rather than boost. If you're using it as a daily driver then a single will put less strain on the motor.
Personally I like the Motordyne exhaust.
Thanks man ill have to check it out. And yeah it would be a daily driver. Im sure if I got a good tune with the turbnetics it should be fine. Thanks for the info.!
Isxlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:14 PM   #4
bealljk
Registered User
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: col
Posts: 2,052
Thanked 66 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Sorta what Sam said...I'd stay away from any turbo and supercharger setup unless youre experienced with FI setups ... it gets very expensive, very quickly if you are unexperienced.

Motordyne makes good stuff...if you like their exhaust setup then go with it.

There is no replacement for making 300whp to 400whp plus with a turbo or supercharger.

Do massive massive massive amounts of research over a year or two before you purchase your own. Such experience might be:

reading dozens and dozens of my350z members builds - what worked for them, what didnt, what results they got

find people in your area that are building turbo'd cars and volunteer to help them out - even if it's just hanging out in the garage...

read a few books - such as maximum boost(corky bell), Automotive Engine Management Systems(Jeff Hartman), Engine Management Advanced Tuning(Greg Banish) - to name a few.

I did a bunch of online learning with High Performance Academy (learn to tune . com) and it was a great experience. Consider their learning programs to fully invest yourself.

And, not that you are, but please please please dont be a douche...

and for the record - I may not consider myself a newb to FI but surer-that-**** I'm no expert...Ive recognized that the more I learn the more I realize that I don't know ****...

Last edited by bealljk; 03-15-2017 at 08:22 PM.
bealljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
Jah70
Registered User
 
Jah70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Greenwich, Connecticut
Posts: 2,901
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I'm no expert in FI, but I'm sure a lot of veterans will tell you to build stronger internals especially if you plan on keeping the car for a long time. My advice would be getting some sticky tires, a good limited slip differential and shorter gear ratios and you'll feel a big difference in performance without shortening the lifespan of a engine that was not meant to be turbocharged given it's high compression ratio. You'll have every single last horse getting to the ground.
Jah70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:32 PM   #6
CK_32
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
CK_32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: California
Posts: 2,849
Thanked 275 Times in 231 Posts
Default

FI is never plug and play... When you go turbo your throwing away your reliability for speed.

Just part of how it works.
CK_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CK_32 For This Useful Post:
ARRRT (03-17-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #7
Z1Motorsports
MY350Z.COM Sponsor
iTrader: (8)
 
Z1Motorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Carrollton, GA
Posts: 2,138
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bealljk View Post
Sorta what Sam said...I'd stay away from any turbo and supercharger setup unless youre experienced with FI setups ... it gets very expensive, very quickly if you are unexperienced.

Motordyne makes good stuff...if you like their exhaust setup then go with it.

There is no replacement for making 300whp to 400whp plus with a turbo or supercharger.

Do massive massive massive amounts of research over a year or two before you purchase your own. Such experience might be:

reading dozens and dozens of my350z members builds - what worked for them, what didnt, what results they got

find people in your area that are building turbo'd cars and volunteer to help them out - even if it's just hanging out in the garage...

read a few books - such as maximum boost(corky bell), Automotive Engine Management Systems(Jeff Hartman), Engine Management Advanced Tuning(Greg Banish) - to name a few.

I did a bunch of online learning with High Performance Academy (learn to tune . com) and it was a great experience. Consider their learning programs to fully invest yourself.

And, not that you are, but please please please dont be a douche...

and for the record - I may not consider myself a newb to FI but surer-that-**** I'm no expert...Ive recognized that the more I learn the more I realize that I don't know ****...
Agreed but when done right, FI cars are the way to go.

Z1Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:31 PM   #8
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
 
MicVelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 4,393
Thanked 1,085 Times in 783 Posts
Default

OK, haven't said it in, wow, over a week! But....

Consider improving the driver first. I don't know you or your abilities but driving skills are the NUMBER ONE BEST improvement to ANY car. And it transfers from one car to every car you'll ever own.

Be it a formal driving school, going to and participating in autocross (particularly the ride-along part if you have willing people, which you almost always do).

After getting some of that under your belt and spending the seat time to really get to know your car; then consider the supporting mods FIRST. Brakes, suspension, etc.

Notice I haven't mentioned power mods until this last sentence. Point is that all the extra power in the world don't make a damm bit of difference if you and the car aren't ready to use it PROPERLY.

[ Off soapbox and let's see if I can go another week without saying it. ]
MicVelo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MicVelo For This Useful Post:
ARRRT (03-17-2017), Spike100 (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #9
coletrickle74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 153
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Car is almost 15 years old. I would do routine maintenance before adding boost. Suspension is probably shot unless its been replaced recently. Diff bushing probably blown as well.
coletrickle74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:40 AM   #10
iideadeyeii
Registered User
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lawtown
Posts: 1,992
Thanked 54 Times in 43 Posts
Default

LMFAO. That exhaust won't even work with a TN kit. If you can't figure that out then maybe you shouldn't be looking for 450whp out of a tn kit at 8psi
iideadeyeii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:48 AM   #11
PerfZ
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
 
PerfZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: hilliard ohio
Posts: 2,400
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default

^^^^^
This. I am the original owner of my '03 and the last thing I would do is go FI on an engine, and total car, with 157,000 miles - and especially on a daily driver. Believe me, that car will not be a 'daily driver" unless you have a ton of money to have it done right and by the right shop. I went with having that '03 and then bought a very high quality modded 90 TT with 400+ RWHP for when I want to play with boost. Best of both worlds and less money too.
PerfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:02 AM   #12
WYZIWYG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BEHIND YOU!! BEHIND YOU!!!
Posts: 7,928
Thanked 62 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Ok, the "driver mod" post is here...just waiting for the first mention of selling the Z and buying a Corvette and this thread will be complete.
WYZIWYG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WYZIWYG For This Useful Post:
MicVelo (03-17-2017), samsniss350z (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 08:36 AM   #13
Jah70
Registered User
 
Jah70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Greenwich, Connecticut
Posts: 2,901
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coletrickle74 View Post
Car is almost 15 years old. I would do routine maintenance before adding boost. Suspension is probably shot unless its been replaced recently. Diff bushing probably blown as well.
Tires and a new limited slip differential will do wonders for acceleration though. My Z felt quicker with those mods and I was satisfied.
Jah70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #14
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mass
Posts: 5,237
Thanked 649 Times in 519 Posts
Default

Well OP is from saturn so obviously his head is in the stars and this is a dreamer thread. Car will be Duganed out before thanksgiving.

But yeah get some turbo... I have a turbo Nissan and its been very reliable so far.
dboyzalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #15
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
 
MicVelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 4,393
Thanked 1,085 Times in 783 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYZIWYG View Post
Ok, the "driver mod" post is here...just waiting for the first mention of selling the Z and buying a Corvette and this thread will be complete.
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggg..... < stifle stifle > mmmmmmfffffff....... awww fuggid, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!


Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyzalter View Post
Well OP is from saturn so obviously his head is in the stars and this is a dreamer thread. Car will be Duganed out before thanksgiving.

But yeah get some turbo... I have a turbo Nissan and its been very reliable so far.
What a joke, Mike, er, Juke.
MicVelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:41 AM   #16
Juztin
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Los Lunas, NM
Posts: 1,994
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Find another daily driver before you bother.
Juztin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:33 PM   #17
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mass
Posts: 5,237
Thanked 649 Times in 519 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicVelo View Post


What a joke, Mike, er, Juke.
1.6 turbo almost 200hp... Its will smoke any 350z

in the snow
dboyzalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:16 PM   #18
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
 
MicVelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 4,393
Thanked 1,085 Times in 783 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyzalter View Post
1.6 turbo almost 200hp... Its will smoke any 350z

in the snow
I keed you Mike. The Juke, while aesthetically questionable by the masses, is a fine car. I drove a Nismo RS a couple years ago and while it's acceleration wasn't quite to the level of a near-or-above 300 pony Z car, it moves right along.

Handling is definitely the Nismo's forte and while I didn't get a chance to do any "upcountry testing" as it were, the freeway offramp/cloverleaf manners of the car were great for scaring the pants off the salesperson. Laff....

But the bottom line was that I felt comfortable enough to throw it around after only a short amount of seat time.
MicVelo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:00 PM.


Copyright 2002 - 2017, MY350Z.COM All Rights Reserved.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send