Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

04' 350Z Base model with crazy options??

Old 03-19-2017, 07:05 PM
gixxerk4r

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation 04' 350Z Base model with crazy options??

I'm looking into an 04 350 and she is pearl white and the VIN states its a Base trim model with 6MT. however, I discovered the VDC button and the unit in the brake fluid compartment, powered leather seats (Tan), navigation, Bose sound system, cruise control (on the steering wheel), auto-dimmer rear view mirror, heated seats, 18" wheels five spoke OEM (I know it doesn't matter). But, I'm confused as hell about this Z. Everything I search states its a Base model. even the Insurance company stated this also. she only has 114K and has some body damage that I can fix and I know a guy who can paint the car if I choose (probably get the roof painted black).

Any insight to this would be great. I've been looking and researching this Z for 2 weeks and the owner is the second owner (bought it for his daughter) he doesn't know much about the options also. I've done a VIN decoder on this car and everyone I use states "Base model" I can provide the VIN if it helps. I would like the buy the car but need to know if an 04' 114K is worth the $4,700 or not ( I know its my choice but, I stuck and not sure where else to look) maybe I call Nissan and see if they can shed some light on it......
Old 03-20-2017, 02:51 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

If there are no buttons on the steering wheel for cruise control and/or the sound system, it's a Base. Also, no VLSD, plastic pedal pads, manual dim mirror, halogen headlights, cloth seats, basic sound system, no 5AT option, nom-Brembo brakes. If the car you're describing has Cruise and Bose, it's not a Base. Probably a Touring, and I've seen inaccuracies with the VIN decoder before. Does the car have a clean title? There is a 350Z shop and dealer here in Tampa that rebuilds wrecks and puts together several cars to make one sometimes, with a Salvage title, and I won't get into why you don't want such a car.

Having said that, the car is now 13 years old, and you have no idea of its history. I bought my '08 Base and added the options I wanted; LSD (Quaife), Homelink mirror, metal pedal,pads, Brembo Brakes, Nismo suspension, S-Tune exhaust, Rays wheels, and on and on. Still a Base? Yes, for insurance purposes, although I pay a tiny bit more for protectionof those upgrades.

So, to answer your question, what difference does it make which trim level that car has? If it checks out OK, and it's what you want, buy it. If not, keep looking.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:45 AM
Timmy Tran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a touring. Sometimes they're mis labeled
Old 03-20-2017, 01:21 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

I'd double check to make sure that all the VIN stickers match to make sure it hasn't been tampered with or swapped out to hide an accident history on the car's title. You could also call Nissan to try to get them to explain how they could screw up something as simple as matching the correct VIN to the correct model trim on the car you're looking at.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:27 PM
rearranged

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

The vin decoder is not always correct.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:07 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by rearranged
The vin decoder is not always correct.
I've heard. So is calling Nissan HQ the better option if the decoder doesn't match up with the obvious?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:10 PM
gixxerk4r

***UPDATE*** I called a local Nissan stealership and they have stated that their are no active recalls on the car. Then went on to say that all the recalls have been conducted on the car. Then went on to talk about he VIN inaccuracy....wait for it.....wait for it....."The VIN is never wrong and just check car fax"....really....

After all that I have explained, you really think that I wouldn't have done this first. My OZD (OCD) is kicking in. I am going to call Nissan HQ tomorrow to see what the F. Everything I see is stating she is a Touring model. Maybe the original owner decided during the building process that he want the Touring model and they already created the Base with some Options, and "Nissan decided to say screw it just add all the options from the Touring and screw updating the VIN".

I know that its just easy to say "Ah, who cares. but, I have a thing about knowing the history of things that I buy and own". It's important to know so I know what I'm getting into, plus I can order the right items just in case.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:54 PM
HCO_surfer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a touring. There is no way someone would add all those option to a base model. Odds are it's a touring with navigation package. I have a touring and the vin decoder and Carfax says I have a base. Don't put too much faith in those avenues.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:18 AM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by gixxerk4r
I'm looking into an 04 350 and she is pearl white and the VIN states its a Base trim model with 6MT.
My Nismo shows up as a touring. It's defiantly a Nismo. This works for you, when you negotiate the price bring it in and show them, try to pay base model prices!
Old 03-21-2017, 01:41 PM
dcains

My Base shows up as a Touring. Who cares?
Old 03-21-2017, 04:19 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Y'all got Frahn-ken-schteens or sumpin'..... every car I've ever checked with the VIN decoder (including many non-Nissans and other vehicles I've considered buying), it's been dead-on.

I mean, yes, the VIN decoder is right that all my recent cars are/have been Nismos, why you ask?

Mercedes SL55 Nismo Edition, Volvo S60R Nismo, 300ZX Shiro Nismo, Toyota Highlander Hybrid Nismo, 350Z Nismo Nismo, 370Z Nismo Nismo and so on, what's the issue? Sheesh.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:18 PM
The Swede

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

My VIN doesn't even work in the decoder.
But then again I have a crazy european autowagenmobilkartoffel jaa!
Old 03-30-2017, 11:53 AM
gixxerk4r

***UPDATE***

So, after doing some due diligence and mediating. I did buy the 04' Z, the only issue I have so far is the radiator fan is not working. I have tested the relay switches on the IPDM (all 3 of them), tested the ECT and wiring and have realized that after all that. the fans are shot, so i'll be replacing that this weekend (hopefully it doesn't rain).

Oh, and the Z is a touring model w/o navigation. I went to a different Nissan dealer, Pomoco Nissan (shout out to Malcolm the parts Manager). He took the time to research the VIN and confirmed that my Z is in fact a Base Model, with the Touring Option added. He stated that most of the Z's VIN is like that (being a Base model) with a different Option package added. It is not easily found and the dealer has to choose some option in the computer to show the details of the car.

Hope this helps and thank you all for your inputs that helped my OCD.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:45 PM
dcains

Never heard that one before, and to say it's a Base with Touring options doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Nissan just didn't build them that way, but if you're happy with the car, that's all that matters. My friend's Nismo VIN comes out as a Base, using the decoder, but the Nismo is in no way a Base with options.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:10 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The fans are a pretty common failure on a Z that has 6 figure mileage, they've done well.

Search this Thread