Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pedal Travel

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 06:34 PM
NR350z

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Brake Pedal Travel

So over the past couple days, I feel as thought my brake pedal has had more travel in it than usual. Naturally I checked the fluid and the level is on max, and clean, not dark at all.

Also, visually inspected the brake master and around the booster, and doesn't seem to show signs of leaking.

Not sure if it matters but with the car off when pumping the brakes, the system builds pressure fine, and pedal becomes stiffer ...

Is it abnormal to get this feeling out of no where ? Brake pad thickness is fine and I haven't done a recent brake job ...

Feels as though the issue is intermittent as sometimes the pedal is more responsive than others ....

(03 Enthusiast, btw)
Old 04-14-2017, 07:14 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by NR350z
So over the past couple days, I feel as thought my brake pedal has had more travel in it than usual. Naturally I checked the fluid and the level is on max, and clean, not dark at all.

Also, visually inspected the brake master and around the booster, and doesn't seem to show signs of leaking.

Not sure if it matters but with the car off when pumping the brakes, the system builds pressure fine, and pedal becomes stiffer ...

Is it abnormal to get this feeling out of no where ? Brake pad thickness is fine and I haven't done a recent brake job ...

Feels as though the issue is intermittent as sometimes the pedal is more responsive than others ....

(03 Enthusiast, btw)
Sounds like classic "air in the system" and/or :"Hydraulic system starting to leak". Would power bleed then check all again. If that doesn't fix it, then check the vac booster for leakage.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:59 AM
NR350z

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Sounds like classic "air in the system" and/or :"Hydraulic system starting to leak". Would power bleed then check all again. If that doesn't fix it, then check the vac booster for leakage.
Thats precisely what I was thinking, but my thoughts are that i would think its impossible for air to get into the system without having a leak somewhere...

Vac booster, I visually inspected both the master cylinder, and brake booster, are you talking about something cool I've never heard about?

Ive got about 102k mi on the car at this point...
Old 04-15-2017, 07:37 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Bleed the brakes.

If it's not air maybe look into replacing the OEM lines. Could be expanding. But that would usually be mushy all the time not only sometimes.

Last edited by CK_32; 04-15-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:48 AM
NR350z

Originally Posted by CK_32
Bleed the brakes.

If it's not air maybe look into replacing the OEM lines. Could be expanding. But that would usually be mushy all the time not only sometimes.
Yeah this my first thought, but is it possible for air to enter the system unless theres a leak?
Old 04-15-2017, 08:24 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Yea it's very possible.

Leaks aren't the only cause of air. Could be a number of things. But leaks are usually the top cause.

Either way it doesn't hurt to bleed and worst case you cross another possibility off the list. Could only make your brake feel better.. Well unless you add more air lol
Old 04-16-2017, 06:11 AM
chilled67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the condition of your rotors? I know how it sounds, but from personal experience if the thickness is nearing minimum discard it will increase brake pedal travel.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:57 PM
NR350z

Originally Posted by chilled67
What are the condition of your rotors? I know how it sounds, but from personal experience if the thickness is nearing minimum discard it will increase brake pedal travel.
Fronts were replaced about 8-9mos ago when I did new pads.