Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Hidden upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 04:37 AM
Fudgematico

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icer5160
If you have a Rev-Up engine under the hood, go for the Motordyne MREV2 Lower Plenum + Spacer. Simple, easy, and stealthy bolt-on with the biggest gains (primarily torque) for the RevUp engine. After some tuning work, my Z gained 30+ ft/lb of torque when compared to the baseline runs.
-Icer
What tuning did you have to do on top of the Plenum spacer?
Old 04-28-2017, 11:45 AM
icer5160

Received 398 Likes on 299 Posts

I had my Z dyno tuned (reflashed ECU with Uprev SW) by a local shop to maximize gains from my bolt-ons. Such as Performance exhaust headers, true dual catback system, intake, and of course to enable factory cruise control since my 06 Coupe is a base model (Requires Uprev SW). I had the Z dyno tuned in stages.

Stage 1: Was tuned for catback + JWT pop charger.
Stage 2: Was tuned for Momemtum Performance SS exhaust headers.
Stage 3: Was tuned for the MREV2 lower plenum + spacer.

Not very "cost" effective, but it was nice to see the incremental percentage gains from each subsequent bolt-on. The only downside I have witnessed to the bolt-ons and tuning, was an increase in the dreaded oil consumption issue plagued by the Revup engines. I'm fairly certain the previous owner of my Z abused the engine or never properly broke it in (I purchased at 16k mi), hence the oil consumption. For me it's part and parcel to owning a Revup. Compression/power is solid, I just need to check the oil level regularly and add as needed.
-Icer
The following users liked this post:
Fudgematico (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 11:53 AM
icer5160

Originally Posted by Fudgematico
Heres the car

It features the "Rev up" engine, not sure about the transmission. I believe the car has some extra badging which is located in the door wells but i am not sure if other 350z have those.
If you have a Revup engine, the transmission is most likely a CD009 (WHICH IS GOOD). You can try checking to confirm this from underneath the car. There should be a white sticker on the side of the bell housing, which in your case would be the driver's side.

I just installed a new lightweight flywheel and stronger/new clutch in my Z (proud of myself for accomplishing this) and was able to locate the sticker. Unfortunately the sticker in my case turned to dust when my hand + tools touched it during the transmission removal. It's very close to the CATs, so the heat just baked it over time.
-Icer
Fudgematico (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 12:12 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I was under my car one day working on things and wondering where I went wrong in life and I looked up and

On my 04
The following 2 users liked this post by dboyzalter:
Fudgematico (04-28-2017), icer5160 (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 01:49 PM
icer5160

And there it is! Awesome!
Old 04-28-2017, 04:36 PM
Fudgematico

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icer5160
I had my Z dyno tuned (reflashed ECU with Uprev SW) by a local shop to maximize gains from my bolt-ons. Such as Performance exhaust headers, true dual catback system, intake, and of course to enable factory cruise control since my 06 Coupe is a base model (Requires Uprev SW). I had the Z dyno tuned in stages.

Stage 1: Was tuned for catback + JWT pop charger.
Stage 2: Was tuned for Momemtum Performance SS exhaust headers.
Stage 3: Was tuned for the MREV2 lower plenum + spacer.

Not very "cost" effective, but it was nice to see the incremental percentage gains from each subsequent bolt-on. The only downside I have witnessed to the bolt-ons and tuning, was an increase in the dreaded oil consumption issue plagued by the Revup engines. I'm fairly certain the previous owner of my Z abused the engine or never properly broke it in (I purchased at 16k mi), hence the oil consumption. For me it's part and parcel to owning a Revup. Compression/power is solid, I just need to check the oil level regularly and add as needed.
-Icer
I'be been looking at the pop chargers but have been told that the ambient hot air in the engine bay negates any positive effects it has on intake, what's your thoughts on this? Plus the catback did you see any gains from that or was it the sound you were after?
Old 04-28-2017, 06:50 PM
theronz-

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pop charger is the opposite of a hidden upgrade.
It's loud and not stealthy looking.

Last edited by theronz-; 04-28-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:00 PM
icer5160

Originally Posted by Fudgematico
I'be been looking at the pop chargers but have been told that the ambient hot air in the engine bay negates any positive effects it has on intake, what's your thoughts on this? Plus the catback did you see any gains from that or was it the sound you were after?
Regarding the intake (popcharger); I would recommend sticking with the OEM. Not because I think the OEM is better or worse than my JWT, but just because of stealth and maintenance. It's a lot easier to replace a factory air filter vs. removing, cleaning, and re-oiling a cone filter, which I typically do every other oil change. Another reason for keeping OEM, it's quiet. The JWT popcharger doesn't make any annoying whistling sounds, but you can certainly here the air when jamming on it. The hot air issue is true, the JWT kit comes with a heat shield that seals around the filter using the hood, but it won't do as good a job as the factory intake box.

Regarding the catback exhaust system; Yes I did see some gains from such a simple bolt-on, it just flows way better than the OEM setup. What I like about the Bassani system specifically is that it's not overwhelming loud (Zero Drone in the cabin, quiet when driving normally), it tucks up behind the rear bumper making it less visible vs. stock, uses all of the OEM hangers (no modification required), it's stainless so it won't rust out easily and it's lighter weight vs. OEM. I have no complaints about it, except that reinstalling it after my clutch job was a bit difficult when I got to the rear mufflers. Getting the exhaust tips and hangers back on proved to be a pain to do without scratching anything. It's a nice sporty setup that honestly looks OEM if you don't know what to look for. It does get pretty loud at wide open throttle, but that's what I wanted.

-Icer
Fudgematico (04-29-2017)