Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Somebody hit my car

Old 05-16-2017, 03:39 PM
irbullet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Somebody hit my car

Well, got up, went to school, and I was at school (high school), got out to my car and drove off, stopped at gas station and realized that my passenger fender and bumper were damaged. Upon further inspection it was fairly obvious that somebody had hit me. Came to final conclusion that somebody hit me while I was parked in the street at home, I initially thought it happened elsewhere.

whoever hit me did not wait for me or take responsibility, instead they just ran off. I had to contact police and file as uninsured motorist and the dedudictible is only $250. So that part has been settled. Does anyone reckon about how much in damages occurred? I will not be seeing insurance company for another 6 days, and was just curious on it. Also, I cannot decide whether to go aftermarket bumper or OEM fit bumper. Suggestions?

now to the pics.

Last edited by irbullet; 05-16-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:05 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by irbullet
Well, I was at school (high school), got out to my car and drove off, stopped at gas station and realized that my passenger fender and bumper were damaged. Upon further inspection it was fairly obvious that somebody had hit me. I assume this happened while somebody was trying to pull in / out of a parking spot at my school next to me (I don't park like a dick, either)

whoever hit me did not wait for me or take responsibility, instead they just ran off. The school cams cannot see where I was parked. I had to contact police and file as uninsured motorist and the dedudictible is only $250. So that part has been settled. Does anyone reckon about how much in damages occurred? I will not be seeing insurance company for another 6 days, and was just curious on it. Also, I cannot decide whether to go aftermarket bumper or OEM fit bumper. Suggestions?

now to the pics.

Can't offer anything in the way of dollars-to-fix but consider yourself "lucky" it wasn't the rear quarter panel. Front is easy fix.... if the shop considers it easier (and a lot of time, cheaper) to fix by replacement fender, at least that just comes off and a new one bolt back on. Rear quarter has to be done by hand (pulling, cutting, welding, that sort of thing), which runs into big $$$.

Front bumper, from that pic alone looks easily fixable. They pop off easily - which could explain it sticking out on the side - and can be redone for not too much money, unless it's cracked.

If insurance is fixing it, don't worry about how it's done but if it were me, I'd insist upon OEM (or the insurance company's "acceptable" OEM replacement, which are pretty decent.)

Last edited by MicVelo; 05-16-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:10 PM
irbullet

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Can't offer anything in the way of dollars-to-fix but consider yourself "lucky" it wasn't the rear quarter panel. Front is easy fix.... if the shop considers it easier (and a lot of time, cheaper) to fix by replacement fender, at least that just comes off and a new one bolt back on. Rear quarter has to be done by hand (pulling, cutting, welding, that sort of thing), which runs into big $$$.

Front bumper, from that pic alone looks easily fixable. They pop off easily - which could explain it sticking out on the side - and can be redone for not too much money, unless it's cracked.

If insurance is fixing it, don't worry about how it's done but if it were me, I'd insist upon OEM (or the insurance company's "acceptable" OEM replacement, which are pretty decent.)
Yeah, you're right, also the bumper is ripped apart and is sorta warped looking, and the fender is warped out as well :/

Last edited by irbullet; 05-16-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:21 PM
HCO_surfer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would just find a fender from a salvage yard and put it on.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:58 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by irbullet
I had to contact police and file as uninsured motorist and the dedudictible is only $250. So that part has been settled. Does anyone reckon about how much in damages occurred?
Based on your own statement, the cost of the damages is $250 because that's going to be your out of pocket expense.

I don't know about Texas, but in my state (Washington), with a police report, the insurance company is required to reimburse you on the deductible after the repair if it's reported as an uninsured motorist or hit-and-run and you're covered for such. Apparently, at some point, the WA state legislature decided it wasn't fair to make you a victim twice for something that wasn't your fault. Insurance companies also can't count the repair expense against your premiums in these cases (my wife went through the exact same thing on her Nissan Rogue.)

If it were me, I'd stay with stock parts, and like Mic said, insist on OEM. They might try to stick you with a repaired bumper cover, but stand your ground and tell them you want a new factory replacement since the part was previously undamaged (assuming that's correct in your case).

Good luck and sorry you had to be on the receiving end of a jackass driver who should be sitting in a jail cell right now for not owning up to what he or she did.

Take lots of photos of all the broken bits before and after the repair for your records.

Last edited by zakmartin; 05-17-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:05 PM
irbullet

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Based on your own statement, the cost of the damages is $250 because that's going to be your out of pocket expense.

I don't know about Texas, but in my state (Washington), with a police report, the insurance company is required to reimburse you on the deductible after the repair if it's reported as an uninsured motorist or hit-and-run and you're covered for such. Apparently, at some point, the WA state legislature decided it wasn't fair to make you a victim twice for something that wasn't your fault. Insurance companies also can't count the repair expense against your premiums in these cases (my wife went through the exact same thing on her Nissan Rogue.)

If it were me, I'd stay with stock parts, and like Mic said, insist on OEM. They might try to stick you with a repaired bumper cover, but stand your ground and tell them you want a new factory replacement since the part was previously undamaged (assuming that's correct in your case).

Good luck and sorry you had to be on the receiving end of a jackass driver who should be sitting in a jail cell right now for not owning up to what he or she did.

Take lots of photos of all the broken bits before and after the repair for your records.
yes of course, I will be talking to the insurance company Tuesday. Also, the bumper is ripped and part of it is cracking and the whole thing is warped looking. I doubt it's repairable, also a bracket on headlight is broken and chunk of paint on door is gone near bottom :/
whoever hit me hit me and didn't even stop, guessing somewhat hard.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:13 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

New fender, new bumper, touch up the door... Car would be totaled if it was more than say $6000 to fix so a body shop will charge your insurance $5,990... Thats my guess.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:52 AM
Arrtus

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

If you know for sure the insurance would cover it and would get it fixed then you should be fine.

If I was in your shoes, I would most likely fix it myself. Like Mic said, you're very lucky that it was your front fender. You can pick those up cheap and they're very easy to install.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:12 AM
irbullet

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
New fender, new bumper, touch up the door... Car would be totaled if it was more than say $6000 to fix so a body shop will charge your insurance $5,990... Thats my guess.
you really think they'd charge that much or are you playin? That's crazy haha. I really hope it's not that much lol, I could do it for a few hundred myself.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:15 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

I had a similar accident. Pretty sure it was like $800 damage

Search this Thread