Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Worst fear confirmed, water in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 04:15 PM
Nico1970

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Worst fear confirmed, water in trunk

So, as I started picking up a few upgrades for my car I noticed something strange and wet... ugh...
Under the spare tire I had water, lots of water. Now being tjis seems to be a common occurrence with these cars and I hAve read numerous posts on this but I want to revisit this and keep all possible causes in one post.
So without me dragging this on what could cause this troublesome issue?
I have read something about rear hatch vent but I don't know where they are located and how to get to them, providing that is the reason why water is coming in. Help??
Old 05-16-2017, 05:12 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Don't freak out- just take out all the carpet, rear spare/tools/jack and all the packing material. Dry everything out and if you need to look for a rubber plug at the bottom of the spare tire well to drain the compartment. As for vents, the only ones I know of are low and on the sides of the trunk, towards the back bumper corners.

Zs are pretty watertight. Have you driven through any deep pools or puddles that could cause this flooding? Heavy rains lately?
Old 05-16-2017, 05:56 PM
Nico1970

Hey Dk, I took everything thing out but that black packing material, the material that holds the spare tools and jack, as for the reason why, it's simple.. for the life of me I couldn't figure out a way to remove them. I took off the black clip and as usual, when I take clips off I could never get them back on..

As for the drain at the bottom of the spare tire well, I did see that and all looked good.. is this something I should silicone just to be on the safe side?

What else should I look for? God I hate when this happens.. I had an 06 Mustang that did this and it drove me nuts..

As for rain, yes, we pretty much had a Monsoon over the weekend in Staten Island..

Originally Posted by dkmura
Don't freak out- just take out all the carpet, rear spare/tools/jack and all the packing material. Dry everything out and if you need to look for a rubber plug at the bottom of the spare tire well to drain the compartment. As for vents, the only ones I know of are low and on the sides of the trunk, towards the back bumper corners.

Zs are pretty watertight. Have you driven through any deep pools or puddles that could cause this flooding? Heavy rains lately?
Old 05-16-2017, 06:16 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

No need to silicone the bottom plug. It's there in case you need to drain the rear floor. The water is probably coming in from the side vents that are located under the rear bumper. You want those vents open to provide ventilation for the rear hatch section. As for preventing water intrusion, stay out of deep water. Drive another car or wait until the rainwater recedes from the streets.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:25 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Do you still have the factory stereo? Your amp is under that packing material on the drivers side, you just remove the little black screws and it pulls out...
Old 05-16-2017, 07:11 PM
NissanTracker

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Not really an occurrence in mine (07 nismo), but my 03 track had the same issue. I pulled the rear trunk panels and discovered a hole that should have been plugged. Someone wired a large gauge sub in the rear and didn't really take care for it. Just my .02

-NT
The following users liked this post:
Nico1970 (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 09:22 PM
Nico1970

When you save "under the rear bumper" does that mean I have to remove the bumper to have access to them? Or doing it the old-fashioned way, getting under the car or putting it on my buddy lift...
What's crazy is the fact that I have lower control arms and there is no way I can even get my head on them.
But back to the side vents, do these vents close over time
They get clogged and it's something I have to clean from time to time ?
I'm wondering being that they are more than likely the original vents and my car is a 04, maybe I should buy new ones, good or bad idea?

No need to silicone the bottom plug. It's there in case you need to drain the rear floor. The water is probably coming in from the side vents that are located under the rear bumper. You want those vents open to provide ventilation for the rear hatch section. As for preventing water intrusion, stay out of deep water. Drive another car or wait until the rainwater recedes from the streets.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:26 PM
Nico1970

Hi, yes I have the factory stereo. When you say remove the little black screws are you talking about the screws that are holding in that black styrofoam? I Tried that, for some reason that didn't budge, and I think there's only one screw holding in the black styrofoam.

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Do you still have the factory stereo? Your amp is under that packing material on the drivers side, you just remove the little black screws and it pulls out...
Old 05-16-2017, 09:58 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

If you are trying to slide them out they won't. There are some holes on the bottom that sit on some locating posts. You need to take out all those pieces that sit on it to be able to lift it up.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:04 AM
Nico1970

Do I have to take the sides out first? Or does the styrofoam come put without removing those 2 screws that are on the side..

God.. how I wish you guys lived right around the block from me, lol.

Originally Posted by beezee
If you are trying to slide them out they won't. There are some holes on the bottom that sit on some locating posts. You need to take out all those pieces that sit on it to be able to lift it up.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:26 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

I wouldn't worry about those vents they plastic and don't really need cleaning or replacing unless something made a nest or something in them.

As for the panels remove the black plastic, then remove the side molded pieces and then you should be able to lift up on the Styrofoam pieces...

You could be getting water in from your wiper hole, your tail lights, seal around hatch it's unlikely the water came from below unless you went into a really deep puddle.

You will see the vents as soon as the Styrofoam is out. The factory amp is directly under the drivers side Styrofoam.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:38 AM
BjonesZ33

Originally Posted by Nico1970
Hey Dk, I took everything thing out but that black packing material, the material that holds the spare tools and jack, as for the reason why, it's simple.. for the life of me I couldn't figure out a way to remove them. I took off the black clip and as usual, when I take clips off I could never get them back on..

As for the drain at the bottom of the spare tire well, I did see that and all looked good.. is this something I should silicone just to be on the safe side?

What else should I look for? God I hate when this happens.. I had an 06 Mustang that did this and it drove me nuts..

As for rain, yes, we pretty much had a Monsoon over the weekend in Staten Island..
thats crazy i didnt know anyone on here was from staten island ! Thats awesome im over by manor road, that rain was no joke last week, hope everything works out for you!
Old 05-17-2017, 03:57 AM
Kileak

It might also have been coming in from shock towers. Have a look there. Stock setup has some type of paper-like gasket there.

If the shocks have been replaced and there are no gaskets, water might get in, especially since that surface where the shock mount sits isn't always perfectly flat on our cars.
Nico1970 (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 06:06 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

When you save "under the rear bumper" does that mean I have to remove the bumper to have access to them? Or doing it the old-fashioned way, getting under the car or putting it on my buddy lift...
What's crazy is the fact that I have lower control arms and there is no way I can even get my head on them.
But back to the side vents, do these vents close over time
They get clogged and it's something I have to clean from time to time ?
I'm wondering being that they are more than likely the original vents and my car is a 04, maybe I should buy new ones, good or bad idea?
What I'm "saying" is the rear vents cannot be seen from the outside because they're covered by the rear bumper. You'll see them on the inside if you remove all the styrofoam sections. They really don't need replacing, or even cleaning, unless you build up a lot of gunk in the bottom of the trunk.

BTW- water intrusion from those areas only happens if you're driving through deep water. WARNING: Our Z's were not designed to be small boats, DON'T try driving in deep water or fording small streams.
Atreyu'z 350 (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 06:51 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

BTW- water intrusion from those areas only happens if you're driving through deep water. WARNING: Our Z's were not designed to be small boats, DON'T try driving in deep water or fording small streams.
If your driving through water that deep you kinda deserve the issues that come with it. Would think that water would come through the doors before those vents, I cant even imagine water coming through those vents, would be like 12 inch puddle
Old 05-17-2017, 08:05 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

You could always try to replicate the situation with a hose. Then you'd know for sure. Dry out all of the existing water first, then hose down the top for a minute or two(not crazy forceful, just uniform). Check for leaks. If there's none, then it's most likely coming in from the bottom around those vents since gravity would act as your friend here. Then it would narrow the occurrence down to just being your mistake of going through a deep puddle. No biggie. Good luck.

-Matt
Nico1970 (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 12:21 PM
Nico1970

Excellent, ugh.. how I hate taking car parts apart, I'm telling you for the life of me I could neeeever put it back te right way.. but, I'll give it te ole collage try, lol...
I will keep you updated,, many O thanks my friend...

I wouldn't worry about those vents they plastic and don't really need cleaning or replacing unless something made a nest or something in them.

As for the panels remove the black plastic, then remove the side molded pieces and then you should be able to lift up on the Styrofoam pieces...

You could be getting water in from your wiper hole, your tail lights, seal around hatch it's unlikely the water came from below unless you went into a really deep puddle.

You will see the vents as soon as the Styrofoam is out. The factory amp is directly under the drivers side Styrofoam.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:25 PM
Nico1970

I Deserve it? That's kinda rough lol.. I hear you though... I'm gonna take everything in the trunk apart and go with a hose and water, if all good then i guess for future reference, I won't turn my car into a boat, lol..
Thanks man..

If your driving through water that deep you kinda deserve the issues that come with it. Would think that water would come through the doors before those vents, I cant even imagine water coming through those vents, would be like 12 inch puddle
Old 05-17-2017, 12:28 PM
Nico1970

Hey brother, yup.. Staten island here.. I live on Arthur kill and Annandale... how long you have your Z?

Originally Posted by BjonesZ33
thats crazy i didnt know anyone on here was from staten island ! Thats awesome im over by manor road, that rain was no joke last week, hope everything works out for you!
Old 05-17-2017, 05:45 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

I Deserve it? That's kinda rough lol.. I hear you though... I'm gonna take everything in the trunk apart and go with a hose and water, if all good then i guess for future reference, I won't turn my car into a boat, lol..
Thanks man..
If you go bombing through deep water crossings you kinda deserve the consequences of the actions, nothing personal but what would you expect to happen.

I tend to forget that these are some people's only car's

Quick Reply: Worst fear confirmed, water in trunk