Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Strange misfire. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 11:50 PM
Fhwynn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Strange misfire. Need help

Hi guys. I've done some searching in regards to misfires and I've also done what others said to do.

Car has greedy 18g tt kit
Haltech platinum ecu
Motordyne plenum spacer.
I think the other mods will be irrelevant. But can list if needed.

It all happened out of no where. I went to work no problem. And then when I got off work, I started driving the car and then it went full Subaru mode on me.

View this post on Instagram

Here's a video. Since I can't check for Cels (unless someone with a haltech can guide me) I started with the small basics first.. I changed the spark plugs, this gave same result. I changed the camshaft sensors, this gave same result. I started to take off each Coil with the car on. It seems like all 6 coils did the same thing (bog the car then resettle) so that means they are working.. (I should try this one more time to be certain). But now I'm out of ideas. I can smell gasoline when the car is running.. So it's not firing somewhere..

Oh and a quick note. While driving home, the car started to become normal again.. With no misfires.. But then the next day. I started the car and it idled rough like the video.

Any guidance would be nice. Thanks again
Old 05-09-2017, 10:17 AM
350_Tee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a bummer my Z was sounding like this a couple days ago after I changed the plugs all I did was go back in the next day and swap around the coil packs and made sure to tighten down the pack retaining brackets very snug also very obvious and you probably know this but check the #4 & #6 connectors to ensure their hooked up to the right coil pack #6 is the grey and red wire. #4 is just grey maybe have a blue or green stripe. Just a couple suggestions hope you get the missing take care of
Old 05-09-2017, 10:50 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

What's up,

I can't hear your video here at work, but I have a couple thoughts..

- Did you check for vacuum leaks?
- Did you eliminate the possibility of a malfunctioning injector?
- How is your fuel pressure, and did you check for fuel leaks?
- What was the condition of your old plugs? Were there any oddballs that didn't look/smell the same as the rest? They can tell a lot about what's going on inside the combustion chamber.

Last edited by Atreyu'z 350; 05-09-2017 at 10:57 AM. Reason: spark plug insert
Old 05-09-2017, 11:21 AM
Fhwynn

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
What's up,

I can't hear your video here at work, but I have a couple thoughts..

- Did you check for vacuum leaks?
- Did you eliminate the possibility of a malfunctioning injector?
- How is your fuel pressure, and did you check for fuel leaks?
- What was the condition of your old plugs? Were there any oddballs that didn't look/smell the same as the rest? They can tell a lot about what's going on inside the combustion chamber.
Thanks for the reply.

I believe i dont have any vacuum leaks. Dont hear anything and can't really find anything. (I'll give it a closer review, possibly try the brake boost+seafoam method to see if any smoke develops.

I'm currently running the RC450 injectors that were on the car when i bought it.. i dont think that they are an issue, but is there a way to easily test for malfunctioning? (if not i do have a set of deatschwerk 600cc on hand that i was going to install that's brand new.. so it should be good to go)

Sparkplugs were "okay".. kinda. tips were fine but the threads were black. no oil, thank god..

as far as fuel pressure. I dont have a fuel pressure gauge so i might have to give that a check

thanks
Old 05-09-2017, 11:22 AM
Fhwynn

Originally Posted by 350_Tee
That's a bummer my Z was sounding like this a couple days ago after I changed the plugs all I did was go back in the next day and swap around the coil packs and made sure to tighten down the pack retaining brackets very snug also very obvious and you probably know this but check the #4 & #6 connectors to ensure their hooked up to the right coil pack #6 is the grey and red wire. #4 is just grey maybe have a blue or green stripe. Just a couple suggestions hope you get the missing take care of
I'll recheck after i get off work to make sure.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:33 AM
Fhwynn

Just a quick update.. In the event that this does happen to you. We'll I rechecked my plugs and they were all plugged in fine.

I changed the driver side and passenger size cam sensor. Still gave the same thing.

So I just said why not.. So I ordered 6 brand new Hitachi Coil from rock auto (paid 180 shipped) changed all 6 and car starts and drives perfectly fine now.. I guess although it seemed okay when doing the check.. After 179k miles.. It's time to replace after all..

I was debating about going with some cheaper coils.. (60-90 shipped) but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry..
Old 05-20-2017, 10:58 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Nice. Thanks for the update, and congrats on the fix.