Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nismo exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 01:32 PM
jcrow

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nismo exhaust

Is the nismo exhaust much louder than the standard exhaust? I'm thinking about doing some exhaust modifications because I do want her to be louder but not to the point of getting tickets any other suggestions besides the nismo muffler?
Old 05-16-2017, 01:46 PM
zwei_the_c

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

Just swap stock cats with HFC and keep your stock exhaust on. It'll sound nice and be cheaper. You're not going to get tickets unless you're catless/single exhaust outlet.

But then you're in Virginia. . .
Old 05-16-2017, 02:44 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by jcrow
Is the nismo exhaust much louder than the standard exhaust? I'm thinking about doing some exhaust modifications because I do want her to be louder but not to the point of getting tickets any other suggestions besides the nismo muffler?
Depends on which Nismo exhaust.

OEM Nismo as on the '07-8 Z33 Nismo is not much louder than a stock one. (Still has to meet requirements for dealer delivered cars).

Nismo S-Tune (No longer made, Nissan aftermarket) is louder than stock and gets louder with age. Nice thing about this one is there's a nice, deep tone and retains the factory tuned "VQ-sound" through.

I'll admit that although there's only a very minimal street gain with the S-Tune, I love the quality of its sound (and the volume is actually perfect, not too much louder than OE) over just about anything else. (Although a big single running through the canyons in mid-gear with the accompanying echo is pretty sweet.)

Last edited by MicVelo; 05-16-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:21 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

You can't get the S-Tune new, but you may see a nice used one occasionally, and they're usually priced according to condition. But, there is a JDM vendor here who can supply the Fujitsubo Legalis-R exhaust - virtually the same as the S-Tune, except for slightly different tips on the muffler.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine/6158...legalis-r.html
Old 05-16-2017, 04:13 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dcains
You can't get the S-Tune new, but you may see a nice used one occasionally, and they're usually priced according to condition. But, there is a JDM vendor here who can supply the Fujitsubo Legalis-R exhaust - virtually the same as the S-Tune, except for slightly different tips on the muffler.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine/6158...legalis-r.html
Good call! ^^^

The Fujitsubo is priced at almost the same as the S-Tune ($1250ish) when it was available. (Don't be fooled, lots of places on the web still show the S-Tune in their catalogs....but not available.)

The three S-Tunes I've had were all bought used, in great condition. When I see them advertised, I still fight the temptation to get another one.

As a spare.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:25 AM
firekrave

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I love my S-tune. I have it matched up to Nismo headers, motordyne ART pipes, a the xyz pipe. Sounds exotic.

View this post on Instagram
Old 05-17-2017, 05:26 AM
firekrave

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

View this post on Instagram
Old 05-17-2017, 07:26 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Depends on which Nismo exhaust.

OEM Nismo as on the '07-8 Z33 Nismo is not much louder than a stock one. (Still has to meet requirements for dealer delivered cars).

Nismo S-Tune (No longer made, Nissan aftermarket) is louder than stock and gets louder with age. Nice thing about this one is there's a nice, deep tone and retains the factory tuned "VQ-sound" through.

I'll admit that although there's only a very minimal street gain with the S-Tune, I love the quality of its sound (and the volume is actually perfect, not too much louder than OE) over just about anything else. (Although a big single running through the canyons in mid-gear with the accompanying echo is pretty sweet.)
The OEM Nismo from the 07-08 is exactly the same as the regular. Only difference is the Nismo tips. I cannot imagine the tips welded on the outside of the muffler would cause the exhaust to be louder.

I love my S-Tune. As everybody else mentioned, you cannot get it new. I have had my S-Tune on now for 6-7 years and being in NY where cops like to stop for minor violations, have never been pulled over for my exhaust. I am installing test pipes this weekend so that record might change

Just keep an eye on the classifieds here and you will eventually find one for a good price. Just be patient. Good luck!

Also, you can click on the link in my sig for some S-Tune ****.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:33 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
The OEM Nismo from the 07-08 is exactly the same as the regular. Only difference is the Nismo tips. I cannot imagine the tips welded on the outside of the muffler would cause the exhaust to be louder.
Actually, I was curious about that and parked my Nismo (the 33, not 34) next to my son's GT (also with HR motor) and did a "butt-audiometer" test. Slight difference. Nothing anyone would ever notice unless doing exactly that. So little that I chalk it up to placebo effect... "Well, shoot, look at them coffee can tips, gotta be louder!"
Old 05-17-2017, 08:39 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Originally Posted by firekrave
I love my S-tune. I have it matched up to Nismo headers, motordyne ART pipes, a the xyz pipe. Sounds exotic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA4gDLRM5Nw
at first sight, i thought that was my old car... almost identical and was also at Steve's shop