New "Project" IV - Foster Care

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 02:21 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts
Default New "Project" IV - Foster Care

This, from the guy who said he'd never own a convertible (other than an old Datsun SRL-311 Roadster) and now I have two?? What was I thinking?

Yeah, yeah, don't say it... "Problem is, you WEREN'T, Mic."

This morning I welcomed my new - albeit temporary - MicCarFamily member.

Told the driver "Hey, wrong one... my blue car is the one up top." He wasn't buying it.

This made me wonder if this car was supposed to be delivered to travlee.

Can't really tell from this pic but the car was FILTHY when it came off the truck. BRRRRRRRFFF....

Slightly "better" view of the grime.

First things first... took care of the grime.

And it cleaned up nicely. (Ahem, same thing my wife tells me. )

The ZR joins my other "new acquisition" in the garage.

So, what are the plans for this car?

Welllllll, I'll admit it, it was an aesthetic-omigawd-look-at-that-color impulse buy. And truly, I do NOT need another Vert.

Then, the Banana-WTF-Yellow car came along and that became the new "project" car. A lot more "project" than a low-mileage-and-needs-little Z33 roadster.

That said, a good friend of ours is buying it from me. But in the next month, will take care of the basic stuff... baseline servicing, smog & registration, fix a couple of minor things, clean and detail...

...and replace some of the funky '07+ interior pieces (that for the life of me cannot figure out why they changed materials, as my '03's interior is pristine!)

Car runs beautifully though. After being away from my Nizii for a while, I'd forgotten what a joy it is to drive an V/HR car... but also to be reminded of the aggravating light n' high clutch pedal so characteristic of the HR/VHR cars. (Were I to keep it, it'd definitely get an RJM pedal and ZSP CSC or CMAK. But I'm not, so....)

Aside from that, not much else to do to it. When I deliver it to our friend, she's going to get a very neat and reliable car.

It IS fun to drive but when I want to lose EVEN MORE hair to the wind, well, got the Benz for that.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:14 PM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Mik, what do you have in mind for this > "replace some of the funky '07+ interior pieces"? Mine aren't too bad, but it still bugs me
Old 05-25-2017, 04:11 PM
No_name

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
...temporary...ZR...do NOT need another Vert...to lose EVEN MORE hair to the wind, well, got the Benz for that....
Was going to compliment ya' but...since you are just a transient H/ZR owner...bah...you get nuttin'!

You always need another roadster...

Screw hair...lost that **** the day I showed-up on the door-step at Ft Dix and haven't had any since (decades ago)...momma nature dictates that now. I do enjoy "drivin' bald" with the top down tho...

Seriously, that is a nice lookin' ZR...your friend should appreciate it.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:18 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by carbuffguy
Mik, what do you have in mind for this > "replace some of the funky '07+ interior pieces"? Mine aren't too bad, but it still bugs me

Ordered it when I first won the car (bid), so bad I could see it in the ad pics.

Other areas will do up in matching matte black.

Originally Posted by No_name

Seriously, that is a nice lookin' ZR...your friend should appreciate it.
Thanks, bud. She's salivating. Saw her yesterday and like every other day, she asked about it.... "When does it arrive?"
Old 05-25-2017, 06:33 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Nice track wheels you going to keep those and put your 19 inch reps on that bad boy?
Old 05-25-2017, 06:46 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Congrats on the ZR, Mic! Looks like your friend is getting one gorgeous example.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:53 PM
carbuffguy

Ordered it when I first won the car (bid), so bad I could see it in the ad pics.

Other areas will do up in matching matte black.

Thanks, bud. She's salivating. Saw her yesterday and like every other day, she asked about it.... "When does it arrive?"

What suppler is that from? Carbon fiber is all I've seen
Old 05-25-2017, 07:19 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Nice track wheels you going to keep those and put your 19 inch reps on that bad boy?
Reps? Volk, Enkei, Nismo, AME.... not a single rep in da house.

Originally Posted by dkmura
Congrats on the ZR, Mic! Looks like your friend is getting one gorgeous example.
Thanks, David, pretty close to a cream puff and dealer maintained throughout it's 50k life.

What suppler is that from? Carbon fiber is all I've seen
There's this little company that you might have heard of...

They call themselves N-I-S-S-A-N.

Laff.... but yeah, not into CF unless it's for actual strength; just as easy to replace the whole unit with OE. Pop it out, move the switches, snap back in, done.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:38 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

Mic and money. He doesn't like it much cause he just throws it here and there lol
Old 05-25-2017, 10:44 PM
Nismo Ninja

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sweet Jeebus! Did the previous owner have talons or something? My 04' pieces are pristine as well. Can't imagine the later model plastic materiel being that chalk board'ish.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:36 AM
carbuffguy

Reps? Volk, Enkei, Nismo, AME.... not a single rep in da house.

Thanks, David, pretty close to a cream puff and dealer maintained throughout it's 50k life.

There's this little company that you might have heard of...

They call themselves N-I-S-S-A-N.

Laff.... but yeah, not into CF unless it's for actual strength; just as easy to replace the whole unit with OE. Pop it out, move the switches, snap back in, done.
Ouch - haha
Old 05-26-2017, 03:51 AM
carbuffguy

Originally Posted by Nismo Ninja
Sweet Jeebus! Did the previous owner have talons or something? My 04' pieces are pristine as well. Can't imagine the later model plastic materiel being that chalk board'ish.
More of a gummy rubber finish, that scratches easier than a three legged horse
Old 05-26-2017, 06:48 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
Mic and money. He doesn't like it much cause he just throws it here and there lol
Hahaha. It may not seem so but I have very strict budgeting concerns where it comes to my hobbies. My car stuff stays within a set budget and some "good" came out of the demise of my Shiro. The appraisal of that car - which I "fought with", nay, "intelligently compelled" (ha!) the insurance company to do - came back strongly enough to buy these two latest cars; so I'm still ahead and within budget constraints.

And as I've mentioned before, the total cost of all four of my cars right now is still FAR LESS than the cost of any NEW car I'd consider buying. And like a tire in the trunk, I got spares!!

Ouch - haha
Just joshin' Mike, don't get bent outta shape. Laff....

But yeah, the armrests are gen-u-whine Nissan parts. I actually did consider - for a few seconds - a set of CF stick-on covers at half the cost of one Nissan OE armrest but the look wasn't "just right" for me.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:10 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Nice find, buddy! She'll love it!
Old 05-26-2017, 08:25 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by jhc
Nice find, buddy! She'll love it!
Thanks, bud! But after driving it this morning with properly inflated Michelin PSS tires, well, now I wanna be like you!! Heh heh.... But nawww, no big brakes, no RPF1s, no suspension. I really like how this stock thing runs. This one, even before I thought I'd sell, not destined to be a canyon carver. Just some bars to make it a little more competent.

Speaking of driving it, went for smog.

In, plug 'er in, out, done. < 5 mins. Love OBDII and a stock emissions car.

Contrast that with the 20 mins it took to FAIL my S30.

But are ya gettin' the feelin' I *might* keep it?
Old 05-26-2017, 08:11 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

And 12 hours later and some seat time in the "temporary" Vert.... having second thoughts about selling it.

I've had both HR and VHR Zs in my past, but this one feels, well...... "the most right"?

It's probably due to its lack of a roof and mild 70s degree weather. Dammit.

While it may be a bit of a disappointment to our friend, she DID tell me "If you want to keep it, I'm OK with it."

Hmmmmmm...
Old 05-26-2017, 08:58 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

No mic
Old 05-26-2017, 09:02 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

In all honesty, ZRs are a blast to own and drive! Don't know what her car experience has been like, but that's def a creampuff!
Still, as sweet as it is, let her have it. She may not know the understeer or nuances, but to a newb this is an absolute gem! The Wow factor will make you a hero, and if she tires of it, you know where to find it.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:41 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

I want a vert to daily, but I could only have the top down for like a month in Vegas

Last edited by terrasmak; 05-27-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:26 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
No mic
Originally Posted by jhc
In all honesty, ZRs are a blast to own and drive! Don't know what her car experience has been like, but that's def a creampuff!
Still, as sweet as it is, let her have it. She may not know the understeer or nuances, but to a newb this is an absolute gem! The Wow factor will make you a hero, and if she tires of it, you know where to find it.
Originally Posted by terrasmak
I want a vert to daily, but I could only have the too down for like a month in Vegas
If I were to be a person in the knuckle-over-due-to-public-consensus class (or the even more vague "decision-by-committee" train of thought, hahaha), guess that would mean I'm still going to sell it.

But I don't adhere to either of those so.... guess I'll sell it anyways.

I just had to let you guys know NOT to take any satisfaction (or get big heads) for influencing MY decision; because you had NOTHING to do with swaying me. Laff.... kiddin'. (sorta)

MicRickles

Last edited by MicVelo; 05-27-2017 at 06:28 AM.