Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2005 Ann. Edition - HPDE Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 09:36 AM
Franknbeans

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Running with Auto Interest at the end of the month and they require you to have car numbers.

I've researched numbers that Nissan always uses and came up with 23.

With this being my summer daily driver, I didn't want to have huge racing numbers on the doors.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:34 AM
Franknbeans

Well, as most know track season up north here is over. So I'm collection for next season.

Picked up some tires.

I also grabbed a set of used, but uninstalled SPC rear camber arms.

Still looking for arms for the front.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:01 AM
Franknbeans

Picked up the Verus Engineering hood vents too. Not 100% sure I should install. It's a summer daily driver....

https://www.verus-engineering.com/pr...ood-louver-kit

Old 12-08-2018, 08:13 PM
supratt008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hood vents are a great mod. So far I have been hitting 260-270 oil temps and yes still no oil cooler. Track season is done and its time to install new nismo suspension bushings and diff bushings along with a nismo gt pro lsd.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:31 PM
Franknbeans

Yeah, i got a few more goodies to put on as well. I only have a 19 row cooler. Maybe I should of got a larger one. As mentioned above my temps on the hot laps are around 247.

I didn't spend crazy money on a cooler. Ebay one. . . Only one issue, the O-ring that came with the kit was to small and would leak oil. I ended up using a o-ring from an old oil filter. That' fixed the issue right up.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:45 AM
Franknbeans

Got all four rotors and the SPC camber arms in.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:32 AM
Blurvision

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Just caught up on your build! Camber arms will make a huge difference Looking good.
The following users liked this post:
Franknbeans (12-12-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 09:12 AM
Franknbeans

Originally Posted by Blurvision
Just caught up on your build! Camber arms will make a huge difference Looking good.

Any ideas on what else I should be looking at?

Keep in mind, this is not a track dedicated car, it's my Summer daily and HPDE car. So I don't want to gut out the car and make it a shitty daily.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:55 PM
Franknbeans

My B12 kit came in the mail today also.. I have a lot of stuff to put on in the spring.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:58 AM
fflipski

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Franknbeans
Any ideas on what else I should be looking at?
You are driving a pretty clean line ! you should be able to tell what you need for this track.

1. Alignment, are you running a aggressive camber front and rear ? This track would probably benefit from an mild camber front and less aggressive rear. like maybe -2 to -2.5 front and -2 or lower in rear. I'll add a little toe to stabilize the braking but not much. This will eat you RE71's pretty quick on the street. I am running a very mild -1.8F -1.6R to have a good balance but I do have a staggered set. 245/40F 265/40R
2. Rear Diff. how is it holding on ? I suppose you have the VLSD. does it loosen after a few "hot laps" ? This track is probably not as hard on diff as summit point but you could gain some exit speed. also, changing the final drive might help you in keep the engine in the powerband. A 3.9 or 4.08 should be enough.
3. Do you have aftermarket swaybars ? I've noticed that softening the rear help a lot for my driving style. try to remove all sway preload on the rear with adjustable links. on the front, it all depends on the tires and spring rate. I am running mild rates which help me learn the tire limits on the front. Very drive-able on street.

Finally, you don't seem to have any big aero ( is there any areo kit that really work on this car ? ) . I'd suggest to start soft on the rear and a little stiffer on front. are you going to run the b12 on stock springs or are you actually using aftermarket springs ?
For me, this car requires more mechanical grip than aero. I've added a front splitter/undershroud combo that help the front and running a stronger rake than oem (lower and stiffer front / higher and softer rear) to help straight line and braking stability.

But like as said, you are the one driving your car and it looks like you are good enough to tell the shortcomings of its handling. A lot of it depends on the driving style and my or other people recommendations might not work for you.

Franknbeans (01-02-2019)
Old 12-28-2018, 06:11 AM
Franknbeans

Thanks for all the input. This past season (2018) I was running on all stock suspension. So no camber adjustments at all. Next season (2019) I'll have adjustable camber. I'll be running a square setup of 245 on all corners.
I'll be running the springs that come on the B12 Pro Kit. Reason for the B12 kit instead of coil overs, is I didn't want to mess around with all the adjustments. Is it the best kit? Most likely not, but I think it was the best one for me.

As for the VLSD, I can feel it loosen a bit, but only on one corner of the track. So it's really not that bad. Corner is up a large hill (2nd Gear), while turning right... I can feel it slipping if I don't ease on the gas.

Right now I am on the stock sway bars. Some people swear by stock, others say get adjustable. I figured I will decide after I get the B12 kit on and some track time.

Mods on the Z already.
1. SS brake Lines
2. Carbotech XP10 front XP8 rear pads
3. Oil Cooler / Temp Gauge
4. Z1 Master Cylinder brace
5. Z1 under tray
6. Air Vent Bumper Mod
7. mod? But I trimmed the brake heat shields to help cooling.

Mods I picked up for next season.
1. New Track Tires - Square setup. 245, Running 4 stock rear rims (These will only be on driving to the track, track time, and back home.)
2. Slotted brake rotors all four corners
3. Front and Rear SPC camber arms
4. Hood Vents
5. B12 Pro Kit

Wants but funds are low..
1. Exhaust
2. MORE HP!
Old 01-02-2019, 12:11 PM
Franknbeans

Spring can't come soon enough.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:28 PM
fflipski

Spring can't come soon enough.
NO!, no, no, my car is not ready. YET. Getting there but not yet!
Old 01-02-2019, 01:24 PM
Franknbeans

To be honest. Mines not ready either. Just need semi nice weather so I can work on it
Old 01-02-2019, 01:41 PM
fflipski

To be honest. Mines not ready either. Just need semi nice weather so I can work on it
While installing the dampers, an easy and lazy way is to disconnect the swaybar link and the rear of the lower arm ( of course with the wheel off to access everything). this is the shortest way to do it. (only 2 bolts/nuts and the sway link ) to remove in the suspension in the wheel well. While you are at it, check the bushing on the lower arm. I replaced mine with Poly when I swapped mine, mine was shot and not centered anymore. BE careful not to pull on the abs cable. This bends the bracket and the front one are very sensitive, a slight bend can throw and ABS error and can ruin your abs solenoid ( don't ask me how I know :-) )

For the hood vent, I got a tip on how to remove heat without cutting into the hood. Simply remove the weather strip on the back that seal the whole engine bay. It is the straight one that goes behind the 2 compartments ( battery and brake ). This helps a little as the air rushing on the windshield creates a negative pressure zone right where the wipers opening is.

For brakes rotors , they are pretty simple to swap. Don't forget to release the hand brakes for the rear ones. the rear ones are a drum/disk combo. Also, make sure they are not directional vines. if they are , they should be an arrow to tell which way is forward to differentiate between left and right ones.

Good luck wrenching. The weather here is not too bad and I just finished installing my kirk racing roll bar yesterday. waiting on seat mounts and harnesses. I just got 2 used sparco evo2 seats for my Z.

Franknbeans (01-02-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 08:14 AM
Franknbeans

Originally Posted by fflipski
For the hood vent, I got a tip on how to remove heat without cutting into the hood. Simply remove the weather strip on the back that seal the whole engine bay. It is the straight one that goes behind the 2 compartments ( battery and brake ). This helps a little as the air rushing on the windshield creates a negative pressure zone right where the wipers opening is.
Thanks for all the tips.

As for the hood vents. I already purchased them. So would you still just pull the rear seal or install the vents if you had them already?

I was also considering a Plenum Spacer. Are they worth the effort/ money?
https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...er-p-2854.html

Last edited by Franknbeans; 01-03-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:00 AM
Jamie Smith
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting)
Old 01-03-2019, 01:32 PM
fflipski

Thanks for all the tips.

As for the hood vents. I already purchased them. So would you still just pull the rear seal or install the vents if you had them already?

I was also considering a Plenum Spacer. Are they worth the effort/ money?
https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...er-p-2854.html

What engine do u have the revup or de. Revup has a different lower plenum that doesn't "require" a space?
Old 01-04-2019, 01:06 PM
Franknbeans

Revup is what I have, 05 Anniversary Edition. Thanks for the info. So the Spacer wouldn't help me out then....
Old 01-04-2019, 02:06 PM
SpartaEvolution

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Revup is what I have, 05 Anniversary Edition. Thanks for the info. So the Spacer wouldn't help me out then....
A spacer has been proven to make power on the Revup motor if combined with a Motordyne MREV2 (or similar) lower plenum, which is basically a modified non-revup lower plenum.

PS - great build so far c:
Franknbeans (01-04-2019)

Quick Reply: 2005 Ann. Edition - HPDE Car