Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Traction control questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 04:14 AM
mazzotta.al

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Traction control questions

I have an 04 350z enthusiast convertible. I've always been a bit underwhelmed with the way the car corners. It feels like I can't really push it through an on ramp for example as much as I'd like to.

I recently drove the same on ramp I drive daily but with the TCS off. It felt like I could push it waay harder and it felt great. At no time in either drive with TCS or or off did the SLIP indicator on the dash come on.

Is my happiness with the handling with TCS off a figment of my imagination? I know if you want to hit the track you turn off TCS to enable some corner drifting, but I don't know if in normal hard street driving it makes any difference. I recall another person posting here a while back saying they always drive with TCS off unless it's raining, but I wasn't really clear on why.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:22 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

i used to drive with mine off all the time, i didnt like how it would kick in during spirited driving and cut the accelerator. if you like the being able to carve a ramp feeling, upgrade the diff to a quaife or something and you will be grinning ear to ear
Old 06-14-2017, 05:30 AM
Freise

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Though I've never tested it under controlled conditions, it feels like the TCS will apply before setting off the warning light, and unless an "threshold" of traction loss is met won't set the light off at all if it's corrected, but I can still feel the buzz-kill effect.
Or I'm just in serious denial about the traction breaking power of the Z. Probably that.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:06 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

I unplugged the module which is under the center console to permanently disable the TCS
Old 06-14-2017, 06:24 AM
mazzotta.al

Originally Posted by Freise
Though I've never tested it under controlled conditions, it feels like the TCS will apply before setting off the warning light, and unless an "threshold" of traction loss is met won't set the light off at all if it's corrected, but I can still feel the buzz-kill effect.
Or I'm just in serious denial about the traction breaking power of the Z. Probably that.
I tend to agree with this, based on my limited testing, that TCS kicks in before it hits the slip threshold, which makes sense because its probably preventative as much as it is reactive. Buzz-kill effect is a good way to put it.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:08 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

My TCS stays off unless it's raining. The TCS turned on makes the clutch behave like garbage. The algorithms Nissan used on the 350Z pale in comparison the the stability control upgrades the 370Z received (better technology, better system.)
Old 06-14-2017, 09:55 AM
mazzotta.al

Originally Posted by zakmartin
My TCS stays off unless it's raining. The TCS turned on makes the clutch behave like garbage. The algorithms Nissan used on the 350Z pale in comparison the the stability control upgrades the 370Z received (better technology, better system.)
Huh, that's interesting, how does it affect the clutch? Do you mean if you're engaging while the engine is at high RPM?
Old 06-14-2017, 03:59 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Nope, it's generally an issue when I'm just doing regular city driving. The car with TCS turned on is jerky on the shifts. Turned off, it's smooth as silk.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:59 PM
JasonGoalie34

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm gonna have to test the above theory. As a pretty new Z driver (though not a new stick driver), honestly didn't think the TCS could affect how smooth the manual shifts and responds. I do know how easy it is to do a burnout with the TCS off though!

Anyway, OP, how could you be underwhelmed by how this thing corners?? I'm baffled by that statement... perhaps you need new tires or somethin? Because TCS or not, I've been confidently whipping mine around the bends since the day I got it.
The following users liked this post:
BigBlue (06-24-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 04:14 AM
mazzotta.al

Originally Posted by JasonGoalie34
I'm gonna have to test the above theory. As a pretty new Z driver (though not a new stick driver), honestly didn't think the TCS could affect how smooth the manual shifts and responds. I do know how easy it is to do a burnout with the TCS off though!

Anyway, OP, how could you be underwhelmed by how this thing corners?? I'm baffled by that statement... perhaps you need new tires or somethin? Because TCS or not, I've been confidently whipping mine around the bends since the day I got it.

I agree about the TCS affecting shifting, I'm surprised to hear that and upon a first drive I can't say i noticed a difference in shifting with TCS off.

As for the cornering, I have pretty new high performance summer tires on 18" advan racing wheels, so I'm not concerned about my traction. It just feels when I push it through a corner that its like fighting back a little, but I noticed a clear difference with the TCS off that it really dug in and was much more thrilling.
JasonGoalie34 (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 04:16 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
i used to drive with mine off all the time, i didnt like how it would kick in during spirited driving and cut the accelerator. if you like the being able to carve a ramp feeling, upgrade the diff to a quaife or something and you will be grinning ear to ear
Originally Posted by mazzotta.al
I agree about the TCS affecting shifting, I'm surprised to hear that and upon a first drive I can't say i noticed a difference in shifting with TCS off.

As for the cornering, I have pretty new high performance summer tires on 18" advan racing wheels, so I'm not concerned about my traction. It just feels when I push it through a corner that its like fighting back a little, but I noticed a clear difference with the TCS off that it really dug in and was much more thrilling.
do the bolded part.....trust me, when i put mine in it was night and day difference
Old 06-15-2017, 05:05 PM
JasonGoalie34

Yeah, I've been paying a little more attention to how I connect to the road since turning off the TCS full time over the past 48 hours or so... and while I'm not sure if it's psychosomatic or not, I think I do feel a modest difference. Better shifts, a more raw and real driving experience... a little drift in a parking lot earlier today, just to say I did it .

Don't wanna ruin those new Nankangs I got though.

Anyway, I think I have a better understanding of where your head is at. My new tires definitely made a difference, so perhaps that's why I raised the subject to you... went up 20mm from stock on all tires (245 front/265 rear), and it's a double benefit... more comfortable, and "stickier" on the road.

Cheers.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:30 AM
mazzotta.al

Ah I see, so you weren't noticing the TCS affecting the traction as much because the tires were a limiting factor. good to know. mine are 245 front and 275 rear dunlop direzzas. I don't have a ton of tire knowledge, but they came with the car when I got it about a year ago and they seem good and were almost new. When I eventually get new ones I'll probably go top of the line just to know the difference.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 06-16-2017, 05:49 AM
rearranged

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

How long have you had your car? Just curious because that's one of the first things I did was turn off the tcs. It's second nature now, I get in and turn it off unless it's raining. I had to learn that lesson though.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:53 AM
mazzotta.al

Originally Posted by rearranged
How long have you had your car? Just curious because that's one of the first things I did was turn off the tcs. It's second nature now, I get in and turn it off unless it's raining. I had to learn that lesson though.
I've had it since last september. Not my first manual but I'd say my first real sports car. Had an A4 quattro in the past but I definitely didn't push it like I've been pushing my Z, plus it was AWD. I only recently started messing with the TCS. I didn't understand exactly how it worked until recently and definitely didn't think it did anything under non-slippery driving conditions. Boy was i wrong!!
Old 06-22-2017, 07:58 PM
JasonGoalie34

As I'm driving mine more, with a lot more experience under my belt, I definitely understand it more now. The difference isn't huge, but I definitely feel better with it off on dry roads. More responsive, better shifts and such. I have all seasons on mine (New England, it's the responsible thing to do), but they're real sticky... haven't skidded incidentally even once since throwing those new Nankangs on on a few weeks ago.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:14 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

TCS jumps in to "save" you waaaaaayyyyyy before you need it. The Z handling limits are much higher than what the TCS allows you to use.

That being said, finding the limits will, at some point, probably include going beyond those limits. When that happens, things can get ugly quick. I recommend a safe venue to learn the limits and what the car does when you go past those limits. (Autocrossing is a cheap way to get familiar with the car's limits)

Cliff's notes: Z is better without the nannies but it is also more likley to "bite" you for a mistake.
MicVelo (06-24-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 06:46 AM
NR350z

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

This ^ ... that is all...
Old 06-24-2017, 07:37 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Stock or aftermarket clutch , my car is no different for normal shifting. It should not matter unless you don't know how to release the clutch
Old 06-24-2017, 10:37 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Been reading this thread on/off since it started.

Would someone PLEASE EXPLAIN how an anti-skid system that directly impacts the BRAKING system also changes the clutch behavior because I've never felt any difference after 5 years of throwing the car around in various conditions?

I'm tired of scratching my head over this, particularly when it takes a hell of a lot more of a wheel speed delta than "normal driving" to trigger it.

Please sir, I want to know.

Last edited by MicVelo; 06-24-2017 at 10:39 AM.