Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pissing with mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 07:45 AM
albaugh81

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pissing with mods

Tried Kinetix SSV intake manifold a nice looking piece. However bolting the thing up was a bit odd & the bolts should be longer. They give you allen head bolts & washers & a long allen tool with no torque specs.

Pros: 1. I put the thing on & it looks spacious.
2. Very cool to the touch on a long drive.

Cons: 1. Couldn't tell if I gained cuz exhaust was a choking point. Put on
same time as I was doing the exhaust.
2. No torque specs
3. Allen head bolts given were short
4. Hard to really tighten down the bolts cuz of angles. Allen tool given
was long and was the only tool that I had to reach these bolts. So
no inch pound torque wrench use. Just hand tight.
5. After some odd miles allen head bolts backed out.
6. Paid a lot for this.

I took this off and went back to stock oem plenum, 5/16 MD spacer, Mrev lower plenum for my 06 rev up motor.
Attached Thumbnails Pissing with mods-17972214_1522421474437474_4392676089216227922_o.jpg   Pissing with mods-20170611_153321.jpg  

Last edited by albaugh81; 06-18-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:53 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Putting on any bolt-on plenum and exhaust will NOT automatically provide any gains without a tune. The OEM program will dial back any changes to the original programming. Have you done a baseline dyno just to establish where you're at?
Old 06-18-2017, 08:03 AM
albaugh81

Exhaust used was a HKS rep off of ebay. Nice looking rolled tip mufflers.
Fitment was a issue but I made it work using different muffler hangers on passenger side. Mid pipe did rub the rear diff making a nasty noise. I put a rubber piece in so it didn't vibrate off the rear diff. The tone of this exhaust was good & something different not raspy at all. I liked it but I thought my car was sluggish.

At this time with my stock plenum on 5/16 spacer & mrev on still feels slow & sluggish I decide to slap on my old Nismo exhaust & sub pipe along with the Circuit Werks resonated y pipe sorta like the MD one. Now my Z has power again & is running strong again.
Attached Thumbnails Pissing with mods-20170218_133802.jpg  
Old 06-18-2017, 08:12 AM
albaugh81

Originally Posted by dkmura
Putting on any bolt-on plenum and exhaust will NOT automatically provide any gains without a tune. The OEM program will dial back any changes to the original programming. Have you done a baseline dyno just to establish where you're at?
I wish man but all dyno shops is a bit of a drive for me and trusting a trustworthy shop is something to. Not sure how much money I be forking over or how many pulls I should pay for to get it dialed in.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:00 AM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Back in my younger days I started with bolt ons like everyone else as a beginner does. I bought a Mustang GT new and went to town. Ran that damn car various times on a Dyno, data logged etc. Doesn't matter what NA car besides LS cars they just don't put down much power vs price. I tell anyone don't expect more than 30 RWHP for all bolt ons combined. They do improve the car in some ways but you easily become "used" to what the benefit was and than the cars feels normal to you as it did before.

With all that said, I found in real world street use I gained more benefit making my cars efficient, preventing heat soak, throttle response, etc. Cooling mods to keep the car under 200 degrees will keep the car more in it's max hp range. Datalogging sensors on a big Dyno day. I calculated my car/cars would lose 20-30 rwhp from ecu pulling the car back from heat. Driving around town for example. Sure you can let a car cool down for 4 hours to get it's max hp but on the street the car is heat soaked. So that's what I would do over expensive mods like a full plenum replacement