Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mishimoto aluminum radiator

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:11 PM
chatcher

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Mishimoto aluminum radiator

Anyone running one? I am considering replacing my rad and would like to upgrade to no plastic parts. The MM al rad looks like a oem fit. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks
Old 06-28-2017, 08:15 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

is there a specific reason why you are replacing it?

do you have any significant (turbo / supercharger) upgrades that are causing overheating?

I'll be honest ... I'm not a fan of Mishimoto as I dont think they are any better than OEM...
Old 06-29-2017, 03:42 AM
Nabice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I switched to a mishi when my old rad bit the dust and so far I love it with no issues and it is a true oem fit.
The following users liked this post:
chatcher (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 03:56 AM
chatcher

Originally Posted by bealljk

do you have any significant (turbo / supercharger) upgrades that are causing overheating?

I'll be honest ... I'm not a fan of Mishimoto as I dont think they are any better than OEM...
I saw some warmer temps on track last year. Just wanna try to stay cooler. Plus not a fan of plastic parts on the OEM piece.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:57 AM
chatcher

Originally Posted by Nabice
I switched to a mishi when my old rad bit the dust and so far I love it with no issues and it is a true oem fit.
Nice that's what I wanted to hear. Do you think its helping you run any cooler?
Old 06-29-2017, 07:27 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by chatcher
Do you think its helping you run any cooler?
Im not trying to persuade you in any one direction - I couldn't careless what you do at the end of the day it's your money and your car. I would search mishimoto and koyo radiators on turbo and/or track cars and see the results people are getting.

lastly, cooler isn't always better ... your engine runs at an optimal temperature (~200-210*??) hence a thermostat...happy motoring!

Last edited by bealljk; 06-29-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:00 PM
RID3R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love mine but i also have the mishimoto fans. Fitment was perfect with mine, just the fans didnt have a plug an play harness so i had to wire mine up into the oem harness.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:13 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

I would buy another if I had a street toy. Not a fan of the fans , just keep stock.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:04 AM
chatcher

I planned on keeping stock fans. From the pics it looked as though it had been set up to allow for use of the stock fans.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:53 AM
steven350

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

i bought the mishi kit with the fans and rad, works great for me imo. nice fit and no issues, i'd say mishi came along way and have got better on their products. but keep the stock fans, the slim fans give u more room yes, but the wiring sucks.
The following users liked this post:
chatcher (06-30-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 01:15 AM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk

I 100% agree with you. Especially when everyone found out how weak there overpriced fans were years back. They are a company that makes over priced parts and some are slightly better than oem and some are not. I came close to getting one of their radiators for my Mustang back in 08 I think but found just as good of options in other companies that looked better quality.

To the OP. Our cars are 10-14 years old now. That's some age on the radiator, water pump, hoses, thermostat etc. I learned years ago that replacing a radiator with a new oem provides better cooling than the used warn out radiator. I've pretty much replaced a radiator in every car I've owned in my 18-20 years of driving. Some were clogged, beat up, seemed fine. Regardless the cooling efficiency slowly deteriorates over time, miles, crud, and especially the fins getting bent. Even a little bit of a clog inside the radiator you can't see or unblock can reduce cooling dramatically. Enough bent fins can reduce efficiency as well. To give you an example, I had a car with 100k on the dash. Car ran perfect but an accident working on the car and a pry bar jammed through the radiator so I ordered a factory replacement for like $75. Looked dead on after install my temp gauge dropped from the usual half way mark to the 1/4 mark just by a new oem replacement. It wasn't a Z/G but goes to show a radiator can wear out. I've found unless you have a power adder a cooling fan upgrade that's non Moshimoto will give you a reduced coolant temps. The ecu pulls timing like a Mother trucker once it hits 200 or so. I'm seeing 10 degrees of base timing yanked once the car hits low 200's. I fixed that though. So look at your cars temps, not what the cars gauge shows and than decide.

​​​​
Old 07-01-2017, 05:36 AM
chatcher

Originally Posted by Swaglife81
I 100% agree with you. Especially when everyone found out how weak there overpriced fans were years back. They are a company that makes over priced parts and some are slightly better than oem and some are not. I came close to getting one of their radiators for my Mustang back in 08 I think but found just as good of options in other companies that looked better quality.

To the OP. Our cars are 10-14 years old now. That's some age on the radiator, water pump, hoses, thermostat etc. I learned years ago that replacing a radiator with a new oem provides better cooling than the used warn out radiator. I've pretty much replaced a radiator in every car I've owned in my 18-20 years of driving. Some were clogged, beat up, seemed fine. Regardless the cooling efficiency slowly deteriorates over time, miles, crud, and especially the fins getting bent. Even a little bit of a clog inside the radiator you can't see or unblock can reduce cooling dramatically. Enough bent fins can reduce efficiency as well. To give you an example, I had a car with 100k on the dash. Car ran perfect but an accident working on the car and a pry bar jammed through the radiator so I ordered a factory replacement for like $75. Looked dead on after install my temp gauge dropped from the usual half way mark to the 1/4 mark just by a new oem replacement. It wasn't a Z/G but goes to show a radiator can wear out. I've found unless you have a power adder a cooling fan upgrade that's non Moshimoto will give you a reduced coolant temps. The ecu pulls timing like a Mother trucker once it hits 200 or so. I'm seeing 10 degrees of base timing yanked once the car hits low 200's. I fixed that though. So look at your cars temps, not what the cars gauge shows and than decide.

​​​​
As long as it fits in an OEM fashion I prefer an all aluminum rad over one that's half plastic. If it provides better cooling on track than that's just icing on the cake for me. I am reusing the OEM fans so no worries on their fans quality.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:28 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

i have the mishimoto aluminum radiator. the fitment was not perfect when i bought it. the bottom of radiator did not center and mount perfectly. I had to drill a little bit into the radiator mount on the car to get it to sit perfectly. Its a nice looking radiator though. My OEM one cracked and didn't want to deal with any more plastic that could crack. plus it looks nice too!