Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3M Film

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 06:57 AM
CanZFan

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 3M Film

So I have this paint protection film on the front 1/3 of the car. Personally don't like it, and have never installed it on any of the new cars I've owned. But, since this car has it, I suppose I'm stuck with it.

I've noticed a ton of small scratches and swirls, and a few really deep scratches, such as in the picture. From what I've read, it SOUNDS like the film can be gently polished, but I have no idea if it's even possible to repair these kinds of damage.

I'd love to just remove the film entirely, but then I'd end up with two distinct (and very noticeable) shades. Anyone ever done this before? Can it be done successfully?

Deep gouges on the front bumper
Old 07-26-2017, 07:38 AM
coletrickle74

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

If it's similar to a vinyl wrap I think you would just make it worse unfortunately.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:34 PM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Talk to a professional but generally a clear film cannot/should not be polished. It's possible to do but the final look and performance of the clear film may be compromised. It would be recommended to just remove and possibly replace if you wanted to. Why do you think you will have two shades on the car if you remove the clear film?
Old 07-26-2017, 04:52 PM
CanZFan

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rancor
Talk to a professional but generally a clear film cannot/should not be polished. It's possible to do but the final look and performance of the clear film may be compromised. It would be recommended to just remove and possibly replace if you wanted to. Why do you think you will have two shades on the car if you remove the clear film?
I guess I was thinking about removal of a car bra, as opposed to a clear film, hence the comment about different shades. I will definitely consult people more in the know than myself before attempting removal.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:14 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Clear coat the vinyl? Test first. I've done this before, but never ended up using the vinyl