Overheating Z problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 03:44 PM
neezebeeze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating Z problem

Hey,

Recently changed my AC Condenser

I installed everything back, filled up the coolant but forgot to bleed the system.
Drove the car for the next couple weeks without any issues and the one day I was driving and all of a sudden my car loses all of its power and the temp shoots up. I pulled over the highway, there was coolant everywhere and the resevoir was bubbling. Got home, changed the thermostat and bled the system. It worked for 10 miles before the car started doing exact same thing. I keep on using the air valve in the back of the motor to release the air but it does nothing, just constant air coming out.

Both of the fans work

Weird thing is that if I beat on the car, the temp goes down but if its a steady speed, then the temp climbs up. I'm not sure if its the waterpump next or the radiator or the last thing I want to fix are the heads.

Please help, selling the car too so this happened at the worst possible time. HELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELP

Last edited by neezebeeze; 07-26-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:58 PM
johnx818

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neezebeeze
Hey,

Recently changed my AC Condenser

I installed everything back, filled up the coolant but forgot to bleed the system.
Drove the car for the next couple weeks without any issues and the one day I was driving and all of a sudden my car loses all of its power and the temp shoots up. I pulled over the highway, there was coolant everywhere and the resevoir was bubbling. Got home, changed the thermostat and bled the system. It worked for 10 miles before the car started doing exact same thing. I keep on using the air valve in the back of the motor to release the air but it does nothing, just constant air coming out.

Weird thing is that if I beat on the car, the temp goes down but if its a steady speed, then the temp climbs up. I'm not sure if its the waterpump next or the radiator or the last thing I want to fix are the heads.

Please help, selling the car too so this happened at the worst possible time. HELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELP
Are the fans working?
Old 07-26-2017, 04:04 PM
neezebeeze

Originally Posted by johnx818
Are the fans working?
Yeah both are
Old 07-27-2017, 06:59 AM
kamilitaryman

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You've got air in your system. The cooling system is a pain in the *** to bleed air out of.

1. Top the reservoir off and top the radiator off until you see coolant coming out of the relief plug near the firewall. Install the rad cap and close the relief plug.

2. Run the engine until operating temp and rev and hold @ 3k rpms for 10sec, changing the heater selector from hot to cold and back to hot, do this 3x and turn it off and let it cool.

3. Top off the radiator and repeat #2 until the coolant levels stops dropping in the radiator.

4. Install a spill free funnel, fill it about 1/3 of the way, turn on your car and let it idle at operating temp until bubbles/streams of air pockets stop coming up. Turn off the car and remove the spill free funnel.

This method worked for me 2x so far. Once when I got air in my system, and recently when I flushed my coolant during my turbo install.

I highly recommend getting a new radiator cap from the dealer too.

Last edited by kamilitaryman; 07-27-2017 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:09 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by kamilitaryman

4. USE a spill free funnel, fill it about 1/3 of the way, turn on your car and let it idle at operating temp until bubbles/streams of air pockets stop coming up. Turn off the car and remove the spill free funnel.
Those are worth
Old 07-27-2017, 11:19 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Take the car to a SHOPSHOPSHOPSHOPSHOPSHOPSHOP

Pass the cost of repairing your mistake on to the next buyer.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:06 PM
neezebeeze

Originally Posted by kamilitaryman
You've got air in your system. The cooling system is a pain in the *** to bleed air out of.

1. Top the reservoir off and top the radiator off until you see coolant coming out of the relief plug near the firewall. Install the rad cap and close the relief plug.

2. Run the engine until operating temp and rev and hold @ 3k rpms for 10sec, changing the heater selector from hot to cold and back to hot, do this 3x and turn it off and let it cool.

3. Top off the radiator and repeat #2 until the coolant levels stops dropping in the radiator.

4. Install a spill free funnel, fill it about 1/3 of the way, turn on your car and let it idle at operating temp until bubbles/streams of air pockets stop coming up. Turn off the car and remove the spill free funnel.

This method worked for me 2x so far. Once when I got air in my system, and recently when I flushed my coolant during my turbo install.

I highly recommend getting a new radiator cap from the dealer too.
Thank you! I'm thinking its air as well. The Spill Free Funnel came in today so I'll do it after work. I'll come back with the details.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:12 PM
neezebeeze

So I replaced the radiator. Nothing seems to work. Idk wtf is going, any other ideas. I had the funnel in the radiator and the coolant is spazzing out. Any other ideas?
Old 07-28-2017, 01:39 PM
zakmartin

So I replaced the radiator. Nothing seems to work. Idk wtf is going, any other ideas.
Yeah, see my post above.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:17 PM
neezebeeze

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Yeah, see my post above.
I'll do that in a few days.
Any other ideas?
Old 07-28-2017, 03:26 PM
zakmartin

Don't keep throwing money at it based on internet guesses. No one's going to be able to diagnose your car without being there and without some basic diagnostic equipment. You should know that by now. Did you even run a pressure test before forking over for a new radiator?
Old 07-28-2017, 04:48 PM
neezebeeze

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Don't keep throwing money at it based on internet guesses. No one's going to be able to diagnose your car without being there and without some basic diagnostic equipment. You should know that by now. Did you even run a pressure test before forking over for a new radiator?
did the coolant pressure test, did the head gasket test.
The tstat is good, the radiator is new. I'm trying to get bubbles out and now the only thing that's left is the water pump
Old 07-28-2017, 08:13 PM
neezebeeze

SOLVED:

Don't buy AutoZone Duralast Thermostats. We over the whole system which pointed me back to the thermostat, ran the car without the tstat and the car ran perfect. Wish I did that in the beginning.