Gears Grindind - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion



2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
Jbueno00
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Gears Grindind

2003 nissan 350z, so my question is why would my gears only grind in 3rd and fourth? So when i get to 3rd it usually always grinds 4th no to much but 1st, 2'nd, 5th, and 6'th are fine and get in gear fine i'm thinking the synchronizer but i'm not to sure any suggestions ?
Jbueno00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
CK_32
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
CK_32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: California
Posts: 3,101
Thanked 297 Times in 253 Posts
Default

Probably syncros.

Some Z trannys are netorious for that.
CK_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:40 AM   #3
SQuaLZ
Sleeps in 350Z
 
SQuaLZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 3,150
Thanked 72 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Very common problem. Synchros are shot.

I would first change the fluid and see if it helps the situation, considering it is the cheapest "fix"

Get Redline MT-85 and see how it works.
SQuaLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:10 PM   #4
Spike100
350Z-holic
 
Spike100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edina, Minnesota
Posts: 6,762
Thanked 80 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Nissan actually replaced many transmissions in the 2003 350z under the drivetrain warranty. My car was one of those. I had the same problem you describe. The replacement transmission was much better. No grinding and the shifts were really smooth... A BIG improvement over the "notchy" and noisy OEM transmission.
Spike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:38 AM   #5
JCat
---------------
iTrader: (4)
 
JCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: JC in Atlanta Georgia
Posts: 3,836
Thanked 31 Times in 15 Posts
Default

From 2003 through 2005 Nissan updated the manual transmission 9 times.
They are coded: CD001, CD002, . . . . CD009.
.
You need to replace yours with a model CD009. Any other model will not permanently solve your problem
JCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:43 AM   #6
Cheese203231
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

The transmission is shot. The lower gears use plastic synchros except 1st &2nd which cause them to start grinding. Eventually it will move into a 5th gear grind and will not be able to downshift. As stated above it will only be fixed if you upgrade to a newer CD009 transmission.
Cheese203231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:40 AM   #7
iideadeyeii
Registered User
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lawtown
Posts: 2,327
Thanked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese203231 View Post
The lower gears use plastic synchros
Pretty sure they are copper or steel? Where are you getting your info from

Last edited by iideadeyeii; 08-30-2017 at 10:41 AM.
iideadeyeii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:46 AM   #8
Cheese203231
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iideadeyeii View Post
Pretty sure they are copper or steel? Where are you getting your info from
Your right. Its been a while since I have been in the Z game. They use brass. But had remembered from many years back I read somewhere it was plastic but I am misunderstood. Regardless, the CD009 is superior and should be the wisest thing to do in terms of repair. They can be found used from 400-800$. And to the OP I used my VQ for over 2 years with grinding gears. You just have to shift smoothly from now on until you are able to repair.
Cheese203231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:01 AM   #9
ScotIrwin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I just bought a 2003 manual trans Track edition with 38k miles on it.... it was grinding on the downshift to 5th so i had the dealer swap trans fluid.... now it still grinds on downshift to 5th and 4th if done semi quickly..... no grinds if slow shifts....... they claim there are no open recalls on my car.... anyone know if i am able to get them to cover trans fix / replacement based on the information above? fingers crossed...

Thanks

oh ya... car is 100% stock and in mint condition, so that should help..
ScotIrwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #10
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
 
MicVelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,200
Thanked 1,373 Times in 994 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotIrwin View Post
I just bought a 2003 manual trans Track edition with 38k miles on it.... it was grinding on the downshift to 5th so i had the dealer swap trans fluid.... now it still grinds on downshift to 5th and 4th if done semi quickly..... no grinds if slow shifts....... they claim there are no open recalls on my car.... anyone know if i am able to get them to cover trans fix / replacement based on the information above? fingers crossed...

Thanks

oh ya... car is 100% stock and in mint condition, so that should help..
Very much doubt you'll be able to have this done on a 14, going on 15 year old car but never hurts to ask/try.

This IS a known problem. If you look at the evolution of the Z33 transmission...

2003 6MT
Double cone synchronizers in 1st and 2nd
No triple cone synchronizers

2004 6MT
Double cone synchronizers in 1st, 3rd, 4th
Triple cone synchronizer in 2nd

2005 CD008
Double cone synchronizers in 1st, 3rd, 4th
Triple cone synchronizer in 2nd

2005 CD009
Double cone synchronizer in 4th
Triple cone synchronizer in 1st, 2nd, 3rd

...it's easy to see that Nissan tried to respond to the early-trans issues for each successive model year.

I've had the notorious "3rd gear gronk" (bad synchro) since I've owned my '03, some five years. Judicious rev match/heel-toe, no issues pushing the car.

With speed shifting, however - and not something I generally do because there's really no need for it if properly and smoothly rowing the gears even at 9/10ths - I can easily replicate that nasty gronk at will. Not worried about it until it actually breaks.
MicVelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #11
ScotIrwin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicVelo View Post
Very much doubt you'll be able to have this done on a 14, going on 15 year old car but never hurts to ask/try.

This IS a known problem. If you look at the evolution of the Z33 transmission...

2003 6MT
Double cone synchronizers in 1st and 2nd
No triple cone synchronizers

2004 6MT
Double cone synchronizers in 1st, 3rd, 4th
Triple cone synchronizer in 2nd

2005 CD008
Double cone synchronizers in 1st, 3rd, 4th
Triple cone synchronizer in 2nd

2005 CD009
Double cone synchronizer in 4th
Triple cone synchronizer in 1st, 2nd, 3rd

...it's easy to see that Nissan tried to respond to the early-trans issues for each successive model year.

I've had the notorious "3rd gear gronk" (bad synchro) since I've owned my '03, some five years. Judicious rev match/heel-toe, no issues pushing the car.

With speed shifting, however - and not something I generally do because there's really no need for it if properly and smoothly rowing the gears even at 9/10ths - I can easily replicate that nasty gronk at will. Not worried about it until it actually breaks.

Thanks Man..... i was thinking i would do a fun day at the track at some point.... guess i will use the same philosophy as you... run it til it breaks.... can probably buy a used tranny for $700 or so and pay someone to install...
ScotIrwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #12
JCat
---------------
iTrader: (4)
 
JCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: JC in Atlanta Georgia
Posts: 3,836
Thanked 31 Times in 15 Posts
Default

I would like to caution folks who experience this problem to not only replace the transmission, but to CONSIDER replacing the clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, and maybe even the slave cylinder as well. Do not scrimp on cost and quality.

I went through this headache many times, and it was never "right" until I replaced everything.

Last edited by JCat; 11-09-2017 at 11:39 AM.
JCat is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exedy, Comp Clutch, ACT, Drive Shaft Shop, Redline & Motul. FORUM PRICE @OAKOS! OAKOSAutomotive Drivetrain 142 11-15-2017 01:34 PM
(OEM) FS: '07 350Z hr 3.5 fd ring/pinion gears and all accessories: BigBlue Drivetrain 5 05-02-2017 06:16 PM
Clutch help please! DetroitZ 2003-2009 Nissan 350Z 12 10-18-2016 12:31 PM
2004 Touring 6MT Help DetroitZ Maintenance & Repair 8 10-11-2016 07:36 PM
broken cam gear venture210 VQ35HR 0 10-10-2016 07:19 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:20 PM.


Copyright 2002 - 2017, MY350Z.COM All Rights Reserved. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: