Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Water damage

Old 08-30-2017, 07:52 AM
Anno455

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water damage

Im from Houston and just before the storm hit i put on test pipes and i left my stock cats in the garage. Little did i know the whole garage was going to be underwater. My question is are thoes cats still good or do i need to buy new ones?
Old 08-30-2017, 08:04 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Anno455
Im from Houston and just before the storm hit i put on test pipes and i left my stock cats in the garage. Little did i know the whole garage was going to be underwater. My question is are thoes cats still good or do i need to buy new ones?
Sorry to hear about all of the damage and destruction in your area!

But honestly, if your car's under water, there's far greater things to be concerned with than catalytic convertors or cars for that matter....

If it's just the cats that were underwater, they'll be OK once they dry out. A torch lightly run over them to dry them in/out should be sufficient.

Last edited by MicVelo; 08-30-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:56 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

I'm assuming you got the car out of the flood and only the cats are sitting in the flood water. I hope your losses are manageable and believe me when I say everyone here in the Pacific Northwest feels terrible about what's going on in Houston. A lot of us have friends and family down in that part of Texas (myself included).

If the water is a muddy soup, once it's safe to do so, clean it with distilled water (and a lot of it). Don't use a high pressure hose, you just want to get the sediments out, so pour in water from both ends, agitate gently and pour the dirty water out. Do that until the water is more or less clean. After that, add heat (even leaving it in the hot sun for a few days should do the trick. Re-install and let them get up to temperature. Hopefully, the plates are fine and your O2 sensors will function properly.

Best of luck and be safe.
The following users liked this post:
MicVelo (08-30-2017)

Search this Thread