Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whatever happened to basic intelligence?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 01:15 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Whatever happened to basic intelligence?

Lately, I've seen a lot of help tickets from new folks on the boards where they soil their panties if they take even the slightest exception to observations that their posts are incomplete, make no sense, or are at face value, ridiculous. [SEE HERE].

Someone even paid to become a member (which I completely respect) to seek help and ended up resorting to whining and name calling the first time someone responded with a constructive answer. [SEE HERE].

I realize that at some point, we're all noobs on whatever board we decide to sign up for, but jeebus kryst, what the hell's in the air that's making people freak out over the slightest little things lately? Ask an intelligent question, get an intelligent answer. Give respect, get respect. It's that simple.

And why am I seeing so many new posts where new members flat-out lie about things they're seeking help on? [SEE HERE].

Maybe a new member can chime in about what's going on with collective IQs at the moment.
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (09-12-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 02:57 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Nothing new, forums since the beginning of Internet time have massive amounts of entitlement on both sides of the question.

Askers demand everyone's full attention and effort.

While the ones who answer sometimes "hate" to answer or read questions yet take the time to click and complain about "having" to answer a "stupidly question.

Honestly it's both sides being a problem. My biggest peeve is when people ask questions and don't even care about the answer. When they just ask to ask then go onto the next thing completely wasting everyone's time due to laziness or boredom.

Last edited by CK_32; 09-11-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:20 PM
zakmartin

Originally Posted by CK_32
My biggest peeve is when people ask questions and don't even care about the answer. When they just ask to ask then go onto the next thing completely wasting everyone's time due to laziness or boredom.
Yeah. That happens a lot. Sometimes I ask myself, "Why bother helping people I don't even know?"

Then I think about the master mechanics who took me under their wings 30 years ago and taught me what they could - just because. I've had a "pass it forward" mentality all my life when it comes to cars. Sometimes the answers are painfully obvious and sometimes you have to think things out.

I rarely see new members even bother to mention the year, mileage and mods on their car when they're asking for help. Basics are completely ignored.

I know a lot of people like to be spoon fed answers and they expect forum regulars to have a magical, psychic connection to their vehicle over the internet that will lead to instant gratification. I don't play that because it's based on conjecture, and when you're dealing with automotive issues, it can be downright irresponsible. I also don't believe in telling people to just replace parts until something sticks. It's a waste of time and money.

There are some new people on the boards who've given me hope and they've been really good about contributing to the Z community (Atreyu'z and Zwei, I'm talking about you guys, among others.) Some of the new members clearly go above and beyond.

I'm just seeing too many people come on board to make one post with an asinine question and then just disappear. No feedback, no thank you, nothing. I don't expect much, but I expect more than what I've generally been seeing lately. Declining expectations seems to be a basic fact of life around here, which is a shame.

Last edited by zakmartin; 09-11-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Atreyu'z 350 (09-12-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 05:19 PM
djnekkon

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Some of us should be just banned @ first try. Autism spectrum disorder was something our own president made fun during campaign and won anyway...so this is the new norm of disrespecting people, specially if you feel u are on top of the food chain...smart *** kids buying 350z and crashing them a week after is something I enjoy. I dont see the point of asking if they seem to know exactly whats going on with their cars.

Last edited by djnekkon; 09-11-2017 at 05:20 PM.
tmdz (09-20-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 11:14 PM
RedlineHR

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Because demographics.

This is a 350z forum. I bought my 350z Grand Touring new in 2007 for $45k plus tax, title, license, etc. easily over $50k. Back then the cars were new and could only be afforded by working, experienced professionals

These cars are now between 9 and 14 years old. They are dirt cheap (~$10k?) and can be had on a minimum wage salary.

So imagine a high-school, burger flipper owner demographic. That's where these questions are coming from (IMO). No offense... I spent my time as a high school fast-food worker. I distinctly recall walking into a car stereo shop saying I want that loud booming bass the cars make when they drive by, but without those giant subwoofers and costly amps. Uh... Mmmkay...

Only difference is we didn't have the Interwebs to annoy people en masse...

But yes, I also do see an alarming trend with grown working professionals (I work in at IT service organization) where people open tickets and say, "Urgent! I can't log in"... and that's it. Uh... log into what from where and how? Screenshot maybe? Anything? and they are escalating to the department brass the next day because we haven't fixed their issue. After it's escalated, you talk to them only to find out they couldn't log into their bank account and you're like WTF does that have to do with IT? so those people could be posting here as well.

Do I get extra credit for two answers?
The following 3 users liked this post by RedlineHR:
Atreyu'z 350 (09-13-2017), i8acobra (09-14-2017), SonnyWu (09-20-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 12:54 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Most if not all answers can be found if they just took the time toSEARCH and READ this forum. The Z/G car has been out since late 2002 and this site is rich with information for those willing to find it.

But then again in this age, everyone wants to be spoofed. So if you really wanna hide something, put it in a book, or forum lol
Old 09-12-2017, 06:45 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
Most if not all answers can be found if they just took the time toSEARCH and READ this forum. The Z/G car has been out since late 2002 and this site is rich with information for those willing to find it.

But then again in this age, everyone wants to be spoofed. So if you really wanna hide something, put it in a book, or forum lol
A what?

Laff.... I still read books....lots of them. My wife, OTOH.... I tell her, "Oh, really? You read that on your social media page? Oh well, then it must be true."

Uh, well, I was almost a legal driver when she was borned.
BluestreamDE (09-12-2017)

Trending Topics

Old 09-12-2017, 06:50 AM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Give respect, get respect. It's that simple
Yep. This has been declining too. Mainly in life in general, not limited to the forum.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:58 AM
zakmartin

Originally Posted by RedlineHR
Because demographics.

This is a 350z forum. I bought my 350z Grand Touring new in 2007 for $45k plus tax, title, license, etc. easily over $50k. Back then the cars were new and could only be afforded by working, experienced professionals

These cars are now between 9 and 14 years old. They are dirt cheap (~$10k?) and can be had on a minimum wage salary.
Yeah, I know that's what happens to websites like this one after a car wraps up its production cycle; it only makes sense. The same thing started going on at the Mitsubishi Eclipse forum I used to participate in when they went from the 3G to the 4G model. Still, the discussions were a bit more intelligent and new members generally adhered to the standards and expectations set out in the "Read this before you post" stickies.

I'm glad the 350Zs are moving on to people who have been pining for the cars for years and they're now within their price range. However, given the number of fatal crashes these cars seem to experience on a per-mile basis (the most dangerous car you can own according to the NHTSA,) I suppose my hope for intelligent posts from new members shouldn't be so high.

I hope some of the new members see this discussion and think their first posts through a bit better. It'd be nice to see all new members post to the new members forum before launching immediately into the repair forums so at least we'd know something about who we're working with.

I suppose I've said my peace on this. Cheers.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:19 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Anyone that takes the time to go to a forum has the potential for growth but as you noticed.

Social Media and everyone's nonchalant attitude has cause the "20 question" society

No one cares to research or even 30 second google search.

I say pick up your flame guns...and let them have it!
Atreyu'z 350 (09-13-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 10:12 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

SonnyWu (09-20-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 10:18 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

when cars get cheaper, the demo buying them gets younger..... with that come horrid half ***'d "mods"
Old 09-12-2017, 10:40 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee

Camera man: What blower do you have?

Sir Ricealot: K&N...., K&N Modified.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:51 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

I honestly think it's because we've become too spoiled by technology.. Gone are the days of painstakingly researching something just to find that little tidbit of information. Now we're just a click away. Instant this, instant that.. That's all that the last generation has known. Having everything so easily accessible isn't necessarily a good thing. Hard work, patience, dignity, tolerance, persistence, determination, and intelligence are all lessened when too much of a convenience is introduced; and the result of that is exactly what we've been seeing here.. Something needs to change, and soon. That's all I'm sayin'.
zakmartin (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 12:23 PM
zakmartin

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
I honestly think it's because we've become too spoiled by technology.. Gone are the days of painstakingly researching something just to find that little tidbit of information. Now we're just a click away. Instant this, instant that.. That's all that the last generation has known. Having everything so easily accessible isn't necessarily a good thing. Hard work, patience, dignity, tolerance, persistence, determination, and intelligence are all lessened when too much of a convenience is introduced; and the result of that is exactly what we've been seeing here.. Something needs to change, and soon. That's all I'm sayin'.
I agree in principle, but I think this trend spans generations. I've also run into issues with new users in their 40s and 50s posting help tickets and not providing any follow-up. Instant gratification is nice, but a little gratitude goes a long way as well, in case someone requires assistance in the future.
Atreyu'z 350 (09-14-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 12:33 PM
tampa_joey

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

i can offer an observation- i've been a 911 calltaker for 30 years.
and i can honestly say that the basic intelligence of the general population has taken a nose dive.
911=for use in life threatening situations/dangerous situations/in an emergency.
when we first activated 911 (yes- we did not have it when i first started)-
we would have folks still call the old police number because they were not really sure they had a "true" emergency.... and they were shot- but they figured- because it was in the leg- it wasn't an emergency...

now- folks will call- for directions, locked keys in car, repo'd cars, looking for the phone number of the police department-because they don't have an emergency- and can't be bothered to use the smart phone they are calling on to look up that number-then they get pissed when we won't transfer them (can't-because that call will continue to tie up the incoming trunk line it came in on)
lost dogs, coming home from a 2 week vacation to find bike stolen,
then you got the liars who know how to game the system- ie- oh my god- he has a gun... but there never was a gun, they just know that if they say that- they move to the top of the line... or the ones that dial 911 -then perform a "dramatic routine" where they act as if they are being beat/victimized in order to again-move to the front of the line...
i could go on much longer (lol-i know-i've gone on more than long enough)- with examples.... but if folks act like this on an official emergency phone line---can anyone be surprised when they act like they do on an informal open and practically anonymous forum?

honestly- i am glad that all of you old timers that have gone thru many of the things that i am currently going thru or pondering on with my car- are still around and willing to discuss things.
i am of the old school crowd that digs to try to find the answers to my problems- tries to reason out what is going on-then-when stumped-try to give as much info up front so that if someone can help-they can do it with the minimum of back and forthing...
so- to you old warhorses that continue to hang tough and buck the spiral -i raise a glass and toast you.
(AND i just had to drop this in.... the week leading up to the hurricane passing thru my area... the IQ of the population went into the negatives... that big sucking sound heard as it moved thru the area-was the sound of the IQs collapsing on themselves...)
The following 2 users liked this post by tampa_joey:
Atreyu'z 350 (09-14-2017), zakmartin (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 01:06 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Originally Posted by zakmartin
I agree in principle, but I think this trend spans generations. I've also run into issues with new users in their 40s and 50s posting help tickets and not providing any follow-up. Instant gratification is nice, but a little gratitude goes a long way as well, in case someone requires assistance in the future.
I agree. I think it does span generations. Effecting generations born into it, as well as previous generations who are now being conditioned by it. Convenience makes us weaker all-around.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:52 PM
zakmartin

Another thread to add to the list [HERE].

New member bragging about committing mail fraud on a thread about Evap Canister Purge Valves.

I... just... whatever.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:55 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Wow.. Yeah.. That doesn't surprise me. People will do just about anything to play the system. I'm a postal worker so I've seen first-hand how they deal with fraud.. A veteran employee of 30yrs. was terminated and lost all retirement benefits ''just'' for picking up a stamp and putting it in his pocket.. The crazy thing is, that the inspectors will actually ''test'' you by placing cash on the ground and then watch to see if anyone picks it up with the intent to steal it. I've seen it. They came busting out of one of their little doors and tackled this guy right in front of me. I was like wtf.. So yeah, they don't play.

BTW, I'm impressed with your knowledge of postal policy and procedures.. But you seem like a smart resourceful guy so I guess it's not too surprising.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:01 AM
13esim

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

As a somewhat new member and a younger guy, I can try to help you understand. We are just shitty people. That is all.

I really do think its a generation thing, maybe a current soceital issue, where people don't pay any respect and can't think for themselves let alone use resources they have access to.

For the love of god, do not go on the 350z facebook page. It is a bunch of cancer.
The following 5 users liked this post by 13esim:
Atreyu'z 350 (09-14-2017), BluestreamDE (09-14-2017), KingBaby (09-14-2017), travlee (09-14-2017), zakmartin (09-14-2017)