Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How to sit comfortably in a 350z?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 12:39 AM
newbietoz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to sit comfortably in a 350z?

My lower back kills me every time I drive long distances. The seats are stock so nothing custom. What do you all do to stop from having lower back aches? I am 6ft tall.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:04 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Drive faster so you get there quicker.......jk. Do you have the tilt/lumbar support dials on your drivers seat? Did you adjust them to your liking?.. There's options, but it all depends on how much your willing to spend. From lumbar seat cushions to a completely new seat.

Last edited by Atreyu'z 350; 10-01-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:01 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

What is your seating position? Are you leaning like a cholo? Straight up like a board?

Also like said above what is your lumbar support at? Do you even have one?

As someone with a bad back, I'd also go see a chiropractor and possibly get adjusted. A factory seat should not be bothering your back that badly.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:00 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Do you pimp the seat , if so, sit more straight up, it helps a lot
Old 10-02-2017, 04:31 AM
newbietoz

Straight up and high off the ground? I do lean it back all the way. Two hour long drives and my lower back starts hurting.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:33 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

jeebus
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 05:13 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Im pretty comfortable in the 350z (04 touring with heated leather seats) but in the juke I was having issues with my back on long trips (and short trips)

I ended up getting a memory foam cushion from Costco for like $20. I set the seat to its lowest point and sit on the cushion and it has helped out tremendously.

At work I drive all day, and I always have a back brace thing on. I dont keep it strapped around me but the added support on the lower back helps with the horrible seats in the work truck.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:20 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Old 10-02-2017, 07:00 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Proper seat adjustment (and yes, as taught in driving school where I remember spending at least an hour of class and "fit" time to learning the proper driving position(s); dependent upon type of driving):

- Always start with the pedal positions. Move the seat to the most comfortable position for your legs. Keep the seat bottom in a position where you are not reaching (overextending) for the pedals; that is, full extension not required to clutch nor accelerator. And, always use the dead pedal; do not ride the clutch pedal. (You'd be amazed at how stiff one's leg (and back) get from holding a foot/leg over the clutch pedal.)

- Once that's "set" (it's temporary), adjust seat back so that your arms have a slight bend when driving straight and you are not overreaching to turn. Once that's set, you may need to readjust the lower position slightly fore or aft one or two notches so that your legs and arms are isolated from your core to minimize how much your central body needs to move for any action. Strength for your arms and leg input comes from the core and a mobile center body takes away from any inputs.

The key is to keep the central body from having to move a lot when doing anything to control the car. Keeping the body upright is key. Leaning too far forward or backward makes for too many unnecessary full body motions and limits what your arms and legs are doing in relation to one another. Let your arms and legs only control the car. You don't need "body english" even when pushing a series of turns.

Look at how race drivers are positioned. Racing seats and driver positions completely limit central body movement; which would also be highly unsafe in the event of a shunt.

If your body type won't allow for this, you may have to resort to any/all of the other mechanical suggestions made in this thread to alter your position for correct control and comfort. Lumbar support is key to maintain the proper spinal curvature for comfort and strength.

Once that's all set, always keep in mind hand and foot positions:
Right foot always in a position to pivot properly for brake and accelerator and, if you use it, proper heel-toe movement. Hand position on the wheel should be 9 and 3 (or 10 and 2 if that's a bit more comfortable). This allows for minimal movement on the wheel by maximizing the input from a single position.

And lastly, pay attention to your grip while in motion. Firm but never clenched tight. A tight clench (AKA "white knuckle" or "death grip") on the wheel kills your shoulders and upper back. Try it.... conscious relaxation of your grip is key here.

And I'll repeat it because it seems trivial but is a big deal: USE THE DEAD PEDAL whenever you're not clutching.

Z33 offers one of the best ergonomic seats in the biz vis a vis the control board (wheel, shifter, etc.) BUT they're not the best for EVERYONE so you'll have to play with them to get them right.

Last edited by MicVelo; 10-02-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:15 AM
travlee
Master

found OP

KingBaby (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 07:30 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

^^^

yeah if you sit like this...only problems

evidently moving the seat/leg adjustments up, relieves stress from your lower back

use cruise control on long drives

stay in the slow lane to avoid numerous changes

get one of those head cushions to bring your skull forward
Old 10-02-2017, 09:04 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Leather or cloth seats? Powered or manual? Miles on the car? Basic info like this really goes a long way when you're asking for help.
KingBaby (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 10:12 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by newbietoz
Straight up and high off the ground? I do lean it back all the way. Two hour long drives and my lower back starts hurting.
Atreyu'z 350 (10-05-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 03:48 AM
newbietoz

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Proper seat adjustment (and yes, as taught in driving school where I remember spending at least an hour of class and "fit" time to learning the proper driving position(s); dependent upon type of driving):

- Always start with the pedal positions. Move the seat to the most comfortable position for your legs. Keep the seat bottom in a position where you are not reaching (overextending) for the pedals; that is, full extension not required to clutch nor accelerator. And, always use the dead pedal; do not ride the clutch pedal. (You'd be amazed at how stiff one's leg (and back) get from holding a foot/leg over the clutch pedal.)

- Once that's "set" (it's temporary), adjust seat back so that your arms have a slight bend when driving straight and you are not overreaching to turn. Once that's set, you may need to readjust the lower position slightly fore or aft one or two notches so that your legs and arms are isolated from your core to minimize how much your central body needs to move for any action. Strength for your arms and leg input comes from the core and a mobile center body takes away from any inputs.

The key is to keep the central body from having to move a lot when doing anything to control the car. Keeping the body upright is key. Leaning too far forward or backward makes for too many unnecessary full body motions and limits what your arms and legs are doing in relation to one another. Let your arms and legs only control the car. You don't need "body english" even when pushing a series of turns.

Look at how race drivers are positioned. Racing seats and driver positions completely limit central body movement; which would also be highly unsafe in the event of a shunt.

If your body type won't allow for this, you may have to resort to any/all of the other mechanical suggestions made in this thread to alter your position for correct control and comfort. Lumbar support is key to maintain the proper spinal curvature for comfort and strength.

Right foot always in a position to pivot properly for brake and accelerator and, if you use it, proper heel-toe movement. Hand position on the wheel should be 9 and 3 (or 10 and 2 if that's a bit more comfortable). This allows for minimal movement on the wheel by maximizing the input from a single position.

And lastly, pay attention to your grip while in motion. Firm but never clenched tight. A tight clench (AKA "white knuckle" or "death grip") on the wheel kills your shoulders and upper back. Try it.... conscious relaxation of your grip is key here.

And I'll repeat it because it seems trivial but is a big deal: USE THE DEAD PEDAL whenever you're not clutching.

Z33 offers one of the best ergonomic seats in the biz vis a vis the control board (wheel, shifter, etc.) BUT they're not the best for EVERYONE so you'll have to play with them to get them right.
Will try this out. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:42 PM
tmdz

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow - I find my Z to be way more comfortable than my 2006 Tacoma. In the Tacoma I drive for half an hour and I'm gimpy until my back loosens up whereas I can drive the Z for hours and feel great.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:42 PM
black93supra

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo

MicVelo.. as i was reading this thread I saw your name and instantly thought driving school was going to come up. Very informative post... going to see about tweaking my own seat position.. i can usually drive abut 2-3 hours without getting tight but these tips may help.