Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Question For My Brothers and Sisters with ATF Coolers

Old 12-05-2017, 11:26 PM
813_350Z

Received 318 Likes on 247 Posts
Default Question For My Brothers and Sisters with ATF Coolers

I recently installed a Mishimoto aluminum radiator along with a Hayden transmission cooler. After reading through some of the threads others have posted, I have considered adding a fan to help keep ATF temps under control. I would like this to require as little of my attention as possible to give a "factory feel". So my question is, would I be able to splice this fan into the circuit for the radiator fans so when they come on the transmission cooler fan will come on also, or will this be too much on the circuit and blow the fuse? If it will be too much, are there t-stat controlled switches available to have this function on a separate circuit? I believe the switch made by Spalls is the only one I have seen so far.

What have those of you with ATF coolers done? I drive my car only during nighttime hours so it's not a major deal, but if I decide to take a drive during the day I would rather not have to worry about climbing temperatures nor would I want to have to worry about turning the fan on and off manually if I'm in traffic. Would you even recommend adding a fan?

Thank you in advance

813_350z
Old 12-06-2017, 01:03 PM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Try searching for an oil temperature switch or fan temperature switch it should get you more results. There should also be electronic control modules for that. Other than that I can't give you answers.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...SABEgIQefD_BwE
Old 12-06-2017, 03:29 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

What rancor said, but if you do want to splice into your radiator fans to activate your ATF cooler fan, then tap the radiator fan signal wire to a relay that will activate a separately fused (and appropriately gauged) power source wire and ground to the fan on your ATF cooler. That way, they'll both go on and off together at the same time, but won't be tapping into the one wire for all the power, which could potentially overload the circuit.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:36 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

I would put a temp sensor on it for a week. I highly doubt you need a fan.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:44 PM
coletrickle74

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm running a B & M cooler, don't need a fan.

As said above, put in a temp sensor for piece of mind if you want.

Search this Thread