Sponsored by:

Engine Monitoring Systems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 05:31 AM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Engine Monitoring Systems?

Hey fellas,

This place is dead lately so might as well ask something that could be found on google would like some opinions too, what's good, what stinks, what's great but too expensive...

I'm looking to monitor engine parameters on something I can install possible in the above radio cubby but not necessary. I'd like to tap into OBDII to gain full OEM parameter monitoring like ROM Editor, but also have options for external sensors like oil temp, boost pressure, EGT, etc.

This started as me looking for a dual input gauge to monitor coolant and oil temps (more accurately than useless OEM gauge for coolant) but might as well go all out and get it all in one place.

https://www.racepak.com/

https://www.altronicsinc.com/data-re...-system-1.html

https://podium.live/

http://www.digatronusa.com/products-cars.shtml (these are cheesy looking)

I'm liking the DataQuest system. It lacks OBDII (I think) but supports something like 32 inputs, has programmable outputs based on programmable conditions, and is a good balance between paying for a fancy screen and getting a cheesy looking display like the digatron ones. Would really like to avoid splicing wires to gain the OBDII functions, but don't want to lug a laptop around. hmmmmmmmmm. Also their sensors are super pricey, and are probably just typical 0-10 or 4-20 ma output... May be able to snake around buying those.

Edit: racelabs looks way more affordable with bluetooth support for a tablet based display including obd2 support

https://www.autosportlabs.com/produc...ion_telemetry/

Last edited by yosip1115; 12-22-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:54 PM
Gadget

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Just because i want higher post count.

Uprev Osiris tuner with arc license and software. Arc is what will monitor everything and show you what you are asking to see.

http://uprev.com/secure/store/tuningsystems
Old 12-25-2017, 08:57 AM
yosip1115

Thanks man, I'm trying to get away from running my laptop in the car.

I will definitely consider running that package with a dedicated small desktop and touchscreen monitor mounted on the dash. I'm looking for ultimate visibility, alarms, capability to cut/Activate solenoids as a result of a programmable sensor input condition.

The racelabs does support all of that with plenty of inputs/outputs

First I need to see what a haltech is capable of as someone mentioned to me (bealljk). I may be doubling up if a haltech will handle all of this.

Will update this thread with whatever direction I go in and what I like/Don't like about it

Last edited by yosip1115; 12-25-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:13 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

You are looking for a Haltech, it does exactly what you are wanting and allows advanced engine tuning. It can trigger solenoids, warning lights, or even put the car in limp mode when engine-protection conditions are met such as lean AFR in boost.

Contact us to discuss plug and play options!
Old 01-04-2018, 09:42 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you thought of trying Torque Pro which works via bluetooth from your OBD2 port. You can get a "Lite" verson which offers a lot less but thr Pro version for a nominal fee works on Android and IOS. The Pro version offers RPM, Acceleration, throttle %age, speed, boost, coolant (temp),0-60mph, best 0-60mph,1/4 mile time, 1/8time, HP max, reads faults, clears faults, map view, test results, graphing, Adapter status, allows you to record video, shift gear light (can be set) plus lots and lots more. I use this fitted in the cubby with an old Android phone. I fear it may not be looking for but it offers plenty of parameters that can be checked in real time.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:00 AM
yosip1115

Hey Sam, yes I have. Unfortunately that doesn't allow you to add external sensors like oil temp and egt.

The haltech though... That's where it's at
Old 01-05-2018, 07:28 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

nothing wrong with an adopted phone or tablet but the screen is way too small and I'm sure it's difficult to cycle through parameters screens, make adjustments.

A large enough screen to see all the parameters you want at any given time...while driving you wont have the mental capacity nor motor skills (and I don't suggest it) to flip through screens/tabs, concentrate on the computer, make changes, blah blah blah AND drive the car. Don't plan on making changes to your map while the car is moving, too hard to concentrate and too easy to fat-finger a number and cause serious damage. Unless you have a buddy driving plan on data logging your runs and making changes while the car is parked.

Other ideas:
Having a lighted keyboard is a huge plus - a necessity for any night-time work
I fab'd up a pretty stout bracket to hold/secure the laptop while I'm driving.
I used a 12' USB cord to connect the haltech to the laptop ... obviously long enough for in-car but if I need the computer outside the car I can still be connected
Laptops are cheap, I bought an barebones ASUS 17" screen and get one with the 10-key key pad on the side ... don't rely on the numbers above the keyboard.
A laptop with a healthy screen resolution will allow you more 'real estate' on your screen and you can monitor more things.

Last edited by bealljk; 01-05-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:21 AM
yosip1115

$200 mac mini with solid state drive, loaded with windows 7
dash mounted screen
swiveling bracket for wireless mouse and keyboard

More of a permanent/dedicated approach is what I am thinking if I get around to this
Old 01-05-2018, 02:07 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by yosip1115
$200 mac mini with solid state drive, loaded with windows 7
dash mounted screen
swiveling bracket for wireless mouse and keyboard

More of a permanent/dedicated approach is what I am thinking if I get around to this
how big of a screen is that going to provide? I don't know what my resolution is maxed out at but even a 17" monitor 'could' be bigger.

It's your preference but if you are looking to monitor a fair amount of parameters via a haltech you're going to want as much screen space as possible.

Last edited by bealljk; 01-05-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:37 PM
yosip1115

Originally Posted by bealljk
how big of a screen is that going to provide? I don't know what my resolution is maxed out at but even a 17" monitor 'could' be bigger.

It's your preference but if you are looking to monitor a fair amount of parameters via a haltech you're going to want as much screen space as possible.
The mac mini would accept any screen, it's a tiny desktop computer that I could power with an adapter.

I'd be willing to spend a fair amount to get this done right because it would save my butt one day when programmed to do so