MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Knock Sensor and/or Timing Belt (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/618803-knock-sensor-and-or-timing-belt.html)

btatbui1820 03-09-2018 11:21 AM

Knock Sensor and/or Timing Belt

Our 2004 350Z Touring has triggered a P0327 code. Symptoms include flashing SES light and then sometime solid P0327 code/light, engine randomly shaking and some engine metal noise/clanking. We got the knock sensor replaced which did not fix the problem. We were going to replace the knock sensor sub-harness, but we saw on the forum that with this code of P0327, a few folks fixed both the knock sensor and knock sensor sub-harness and still have to replace the timing chain. Since we already paid the first time to replace the knock sensor, that might not be our issue. Our thought was to replace the timing chain (timing chain kit and water pump) which might be the underlining problem for the P0327 code. We do not want to pay another $500 for the labor to replace the sub-harness if we do not have to.
1. What are your thoughts if you have to do this with minimal out of pocket expense

2. For the timing chain, sprockets, tensioners, etc., we were going to get Nissan OEM. Are the third party kits ok?

3. Does anyone have the Nissan OEM parts include all of the gaskets to replace the timing chain and water pump? Below is what we are able to find when searching on-line using a diagram, but not able to get a complete part number. Any help is appreciated. We heard that some sprockets are very expensive. Are they on the list below? Are there parts on the list that you would not replace if you would replace your timing chain and water pump? Any estimate labor cost?

Timing Chains:
13028+A
13028+A

Sprokets:

Guides:

Braket:
13085+A

Tensioners:
13070+A
13070+B

Timing cover gasket
No part number

Oil pan gasket:
No part number

btatbui1820 03-09-2018 01:30 PM

Adding some more background information. The shop that replaced the knock sensor, recommended both the knock sensor harness, timing belt and water pump after additional diagnostic. We were hoping that replacing the timing chain and water pump would not necessitate the knock sensor harness replacement.

1. Another follow on question is that if the timing belt still do not resolve the P0327 code, should we replaced the knock sensor again since the knock sensor was installed was not Nissan OEM. How reliable are these 3rd party knock sensors? Nissan OEM knock sensor is $210.

2. This car has 142K miles on it. Is this worth the investment by paying a shop to replace the timing chain, water pump and the knock sensor harness? Tires will also needed to be replaced in a month or two. Estimating $3K for all the repairs and tires.

jhc 03-10-2018 09:33 AM

Always use OEM Nissan sensors. Did you agree to aftermarket parts or did they not tell you? If the latter, tell the shop to eat the cost of aftermarket and pay the difference for oem.

From what I've read, the chain should last the life of the motor. On the other hand, if r/r water pump change the chain too.
Gl

winchman 03-12-2018 07:13 AM

Could the noise be caused by bad chain tensioner? The engine will make quite a racket if the chain is loose.

That's quite a lot to spend on a car that's only gonna be worth $5-6K afterwards.

CK_32 03-12-2018 07:22 AM

Of course the mechanic is going to reccomend you to replace a bunch of supporting sh** with it.

And just a FYI awe don't have belts we got chains. You shouldn't have the replace the chain those should last for ever assuming everything's been taken care of. Tensioner or guides are usually the first things to go.

btatbui1820 03-12-2018 01:12 PM

Hi all,

Thank you so much for the feedback and especially the guidance. The car's knock sensor was done prior to us getting the car. Love the feedback on the value of the car after the repairs. We are struggling with this cost.

For the timing chains and water pump without any sprockets, the cost is $1300-$1400 for labor and $700 for all parts including the two accessories belts. Sounds reasonable? When are the sprockets require replacing? They are so expensive. We saw a bulletin on it so were not sure if to replace or not.

FYI. The three timing chains are about $240 and will probably include unless feedback is strongly against it for that price.

Labor cost is killing us.

Any additional feedback is welcome.

Thanks again

jhc 03-13-2018 07:32 AM

Try to get 3 quotes from different shops with good reviews, or do massive homework and DIY.
Good luck.

CK_32 03-14-2018 06:56 PM

Yes $1,200 to $1,600 is about normal for a timing chain replacement. Just due to the labor aspect. I just did mine which required me to undo the entire front clip, radiator, lights, accessories, and the timing cover. It's an easy job just LOTS of bolts and small stupid things to remove to get in there.

I could have done it with out taking the front clip and radiator off but the more room the better. It's more work but always worth it down the road instead of bashing knockls and parts on everything with no room.

As for the sprockets. They should outlive the engine so 200k miles is when I'd say the sprockets should be replaced. They are not really a wear and tear item unless they get chipped or break a tooth. Which if that happens there is probably other problems.

The only wear and tear item for our timing chains is usually the tensioners and chain guides. Which is what I replaced in mine. Those can go out anywhere from 30k miles to 200k.. They just go when they go. But are usually the first thing in the timing chain assembly to go.

That said, usually you can't buy each part for the timing chain. They usually come in kits which include almost everything. Range from $120-$350.

If you have a tool kit with 8-20mm sockets and think you have the skill to do it. It's a easy job but again just very TIME consuming due to all the little parts you have to take off and work with. Took me 2 weeks to finish mine after work. But this was when it got pitch black dark at 530 so that was the biggest problem on why it took so long. That and motivation. But just doing a few bolts and chipping at it for an hour every other night got it done.

Not the easiest job but def one of the most annoying and messy.

CK_32 03-14-2018 06:58 PM

I also second getting extra quotes. A good tactic as well is get a quote and go to the next shop and drop the price you actually got by 10% or $100 depending which is reasonable to put pressure on the next shops. So tell them X shop said they could do $1,200. See where that gets you.

You'd be surprised how often you can sometimes get shops to pony up and match or go even lower. Saving you even more money by using their games against them.

CK_32 03-15-2018 07:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh yea and I forgot. I have a spare motor sitting in my room. If you need the timing chain sprockets give me a shout I'll see what we can do and maybe save you a little $$ from what the shop wants for the sprockets.

I have pretty much the entire timing chain kit. Only thing I took for my motor was 2 secondary tensioners. The rest is still there.

dboyzalter 03-15-2018 08:38 AM

Ill give you $1000 for the car and then you can maybe get yourself something nice and easy to work on. Like a mountain bike.

winchman 03-15-2018 12:06 PM

Like this '94 Hyundai Excel with Bucket Seats.

http://images.buysellsearch.com/imag...springs-co.jpg

btatbui1820 03-15-2018 07:43 PM

:thumbup: