Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creak sound when turning wheel left or right from center (video link)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 04:35 PM
BlueSQ

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Creak sound when turning wheel left or right from center (video link)

I started noticing that from a stop, or while moving just a few mph (think pulling out of parking spot) something is creaking. I thought it was the steering rack or CV joint boots but after research people are saying it's the bushings on the front upper control arms. Also reading it could be transverse links.

Here's a video, it's not mine but it's the same thing I'm experiencing:

His sounds quite a bit more pronounced but the symptom is the same and so is the sound. I've recently had all fluids flushed including power steering.

I'm already ordering up front upper control arms to adjust camber on a 1" lowered suspension. I was also looking at the Z1 front suspension bushing kit as something to replace my worn 136,000 mile OEM bushings.

My question is: Since I'm going to have the shop working on it soon, I'm curious if these parts (FUCA and bushings) would possibly fix the issue in the video or is the problem something else completely?
Old 04-17-2018, 07:27 PM
BlueSQ

On second thought, let's do this right. I took a video of the issue. Posted here:

It's not nearly as bad as the original video I posted but you get the idea. Same sound when turning the wheel.

You can hear it on the third wheel turn before the video ends.

Edit: Creaking starts at 17 seconds

Last edited by BlueSQ; 04-17-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:19 PM
icer5160

Received 399 Likes on 300 Posts

The first video is crazy loud. Yours is pretty quiet or just drowned out by the engine idling, could just be the power steering pump or steering rack getting worn out. I noticed the sound/creaking occurs when the wheel is near the end of the locks (full turn). Generally, this is when the power steering pump & rack are working the hardest.

If you think it's a bushing or linkage issue, get the front end up on jacks and start pulling/pushing on things. Use a pry-bar if needed. If you see excessive movement then you know it's time to replace parts. Also see if you can reproduce the same noise with the front tires off the ground. If the suspension is in a relaxed state with no load on it, then I would expect the noise to disappear.
The following users liked this post:
BlueSQ (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 08:37 PM
BlueSQ

Originally Posted by icer5160
The first video is crazy loud. Yours is pretty quiet or just drowned out by the engine idling, could just be the power steering pump or steering rack getting worn out. I noticed the sound/creaking occurs when the wheel is near the end of the locks (full turn). Generally, this is when the power steering pump & rack are working the hardest.

If you think it's a bushing or linkage issue, get the front end up on jacks and start pulling/pushing on things. Use a pry-bar if needed. If you see excessive movement then you know it's time to replace parts. Also see if you can reproduce the same noise with the front tires off the ground. If the suspension is in a relaxed state with no load on it, then I would expect the noise to disappear.
Thanks for the info. What would it narrow down to (or eliminate the possibility of) if there's no sound with the front end off the ground?

I've no idea what it is, I'm getting the bushings replaced because they're going to be near those parts when they replace the FUCAs and I want to tighten things up. It's more of an annoyance at this point but since they're going to be tinkering around in there at the shop I want to see if I can get the right part and knock it out. Might just go away after the FUCA/bushing replacements. Biggest thing I'm trying to avoid is throwing parts at it or having it sit in the shop waiting for parts.

Creaking starts at 17 seconds. Doesn't happen all the way through the travel of the wheels left to right. It's quite random it seems. More pronounced on uneven ground. As you can see in the video, it doesn't happen all the time. It took two full wheel turns left and right then left again to get it sound off. Definitely notice it more when it's cold and when the car is actually moving.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:48 PM
icer5160

Received 399 Likes on 300 Posts

I had a similar creaking on my 06 Z. Replacing the TC bushings really helped quiet things down. But I still noticed the noise at cold start going down the parking garage at work (uneven ground). I suspected, in my case, it could be the gasket/bushing between the strut tower and body/chassis. This is a big cause of noise when the rear end creaks/squeaks, but I could only ever reproduce the issue when driving the car and hitting uneven ground like driveways, ramps, speed bumps. Alas, I purchased the parts but haven't installed them yet to confirm my suspicion.

My thoughts behind jacking up the front end are flawed. If there's no load on the front wheels then you might not hear anything from either the bushings or power steering pump/rack. But it does give you a chance to check for excessive play in bushings. You can also try having a buddy turn the wheel with engine on while you pinpoint the noise inside or under the engine bay.

Good Luck!
-Icer
Old 04-19-2018, 09:16 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Clearly you have a running joint some where on the steering rack or steering wheel assembly.

Starts from the steering wheel and work your way down to the sound. Find which joint or point is running and or dry.

This is assuming there wasn’t damage from a crash or accident with suspension. If there was then that obviously throws tons of possibilities into the mix. You’re just ganna have to dig and find the source. Then check back and we can probably explain how to fix it.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:10 AM
BlueSQ

Originally Posted by CK_32
Clearly you have a running joint some where on the steering rack or steering wheel assembly.

Starts from the steering wheel and work your way down to the sound. Find which joint or point is running and or dry.

This is assuming there wasn’t damage from a crash or accident with suspension. If there was then that obviously throws tons of possibilities into the mix. You’re just ganna have to dig and find the source. Then check back and we can probably explain how to fix it.
Cool, thanks. To clarify, when you say running joint you mean the boot ripped and it's leaking grease, correct?

I see Z1 has whole refurb racks from NVA for about $380 with a core refund, wondering if I should just go that route since the OEM front inner tie rods with boots are about $180 each.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:17 AM
BlueSQ

This is a big cause of noise when the rear end creaks/squeaks, but I could only ever reproduce the issue when driving the car and hitting uneven ground like driveways, ramps, speed bumps.
Yeah the car creaks, pops and soforth on uneven pavement going slow. The car is old, everything in it is old, the cost/benefit to fixing every sound usually depends on safety and/or annoyance level. When it comes to metal on metal sounds with steering, brakes or other things that help control the car my ears perk up.

Good Luck!
-Icer
Thanks!