MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   350Z Roadster - manual 5th bow latch release (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/619410-350z-roadster-manual-5th-bow-latch-release.html)

350z-UB 05-13-2018 12:11 AM

350Z Roadster - manual 5th bow latch release

Hello all,

For the past year I've had an issue with my roof not working and I've spent a lot of time and effort getting to this point. I'm almost certain that the issues I am having are because of a part located with the tonneau cover / roof storage lid.

All my focus was on the tonneau cover latch and why this was not unlatching when the roof switch was pressed. If you look at diagram 1 below you can see that there are 2 parts that enable the tonneau lid to latch and unlatch.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....09835649ff.pngTonneu cover componentsNo. 9: this is the 5th bow latch lock.
No. 10: this is the 5th bow UNLOCKING actuator

The 2 parts above are located within the tonneau lid. Either the latch has failed, the actuator had failed or the wire cable has failed. The problem I have is that because the 5th bow latch is stuck shut I cannot lift the tonneau lid to take off the cover shown below in the last photo. Under this cover is where the above parts are and those parts are what is causing my roof to not work.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....cc5c1c8420.pngUnder the tonneu cover / roof storage lid.
Thanks to a few great people I'm almost there with sorting my roof out. I just need to find a way of opening the 5th bow latch manually and the rest can be sorted. And once this has been done I can stop bugging you all about my roof!

Is there a way of manually opening the 5th bow latch? The picture below shows the rectangular "prong" that is stuck in the latch mechanism.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....4eec2266e4.pnghttps://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....67c49ce40a.png

Thank you 8)

350z-UB 05-13-2018 09:53 AM

Better picture

I just wanted to add the picture below as it perfectly shows how and where mine is stuck. If I can release the roof from there then everything else will be easy to fix.

The Last resort is going to be hacking those two prongs, which will enable me to repair the components within the tonneau cover and then finding a new roof.

​So close yet so far.

350z-UB 05-13-2018 10:01 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....17c66d2a14.png

350z-UB 05-20-2018 08:40 AM

Bump 🙏

350z-UB 06-05-2018 02:55 PM

So no one is available to offer any assistance at all? Or even acknowledge the request for help?

​​​​I would have thought there was enough expertise on here to, at the very least, offer some suggestions. Perhaps I was wrong.

jhc 06-06-2018 06:14 AM

I'm not an expert, but I did change my top at home. There are multiple swirches and motors, and yes there is actually a body control module dedicated to roof operation and sequencing motor movement.

What happens when you press the open switch- do your windows go down, pass seat tilts forward?
Have you confirmed your brake pedal switch works correctly?
If not your problem is likely as simple as the brake light switch, top switch or a fuse.

If yes, the next logical step would be to check for voltage at the striker release actuator while the open button is pressed.
What you really need to find is the FSM flow chart for trouble shooting the roof. There are lots of
"If...x, then y" conditions meaning each switch or component must be working properly. Good luck.

350z-UB 06-08-2018 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by jhc (Post 10959186)
I'm not an expert, but I did change my top at home. There are multiple swirches and motors, and yes there is actually a body control module dedicated to roof operation and sequencing motor movement.

What happens when you press the open switch- do your windows go down, pass seat tilts forward?
Have you confirmed your brake pedal switch works correctly?
If not your problem is likely as simple as the brake light switch, top switch or a fuse.

If yes, the next logical step would be to check for voltage at the striker release actuator while the open button is pressed.
What you really need to find is the FSM flow chart for trouble shooting the roof. There are lots of
"If...x, then y" conditions meaning each switch or component must be working properly. Good luck.

Thanks jhc,

​​​​​​When I press the button , the windows go down and the seat goes forward, I can then hear the 5th bow latch trying to unlatch the prong circled above.

I was Working on the car with an auto electrician and we checked voltages and current flow rates on every part of the mechanism , the only part we couldn't check are the latch and the actuator, but these are located within the tonneau cover lid. Which I can't get too because the back of the roof is stuck shut.

I'm very close to sorting this out, but I just don't know how to approach this other than to cut the prongs, but then I can't but this part seperately. I'm completely stumped .

350z-UB 06-17-2018 03:43 AM

Small bump :icon4:

Jean-luc Fermer 04-02-2019 08:05 AM

my 5th bow latch was stuck too. I pulled the rear plastic and reach under neath to the storage lid opening and reach my hand in an pulled the latch cable with my finger while someone lifted the 5th bow and that released it. I tested my latch electrical from the harness the 5th bow release latch is one wire from the convertible computer to the actuator to ground. I tried to probe the latch with a power probe and got nothing. maybe its the ground for it i still have to check, but I hope that helps you out. make sure you pull the bare cable not the plastic tube that cable rides in or else it wont work. The bare metal of the cable is near the latch to the right when your reaching in from the drivers seat looking towards the back of the vehicle. you don't have to cut the storage areas vinyl cover it has an opening.

Brandon Salas 06-06-2019 08:18 AM

pull the manual lock relase cables w in trunk and one in glove box thing i used 2rolls of toilet paper to keep it from latching again
and unplug electrical motors in trunk and use two allen wrenches to help lift storage lid start by manual lifting then finish with allen i used bungiee cord to trunk to help suport

Brandon Salas 06-06-2019 08:19 AM

same tried to probe no efect

Hammerist 03-07-2020 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jean-luc Fermer (Post 10989170)
my 5th bow latch was stuck too. I pulled the rear plastic and reach under neath to the storage lid opening and reach my hand in an pulled the latch cable with my finger while someone lifted the 5th bow and that released it. I tested my latch electrical from the harness the 5th bow release latch is one wire from the convertible computer to the actuator to ground. I tried to probe the latch with a power probe and got nothing. maybe its the ground for it i still have to check, but I hope that helps you out. make sure you pull the bare cable not the plastic tube that cable rides in or else it wont work. The bare metal of the cable is near the latch to the right when your reaching in from the drivers seat looking towards the back of the vehicle. you don't have to cut the storage areas vinyl cover it has an opening.

I realize I am asking about a post that is over a year old but I am so frustrated. It sounds like you gained access to the latch which is what I need to do. When you say that you removed the rear plastic, are you referring to all the trim behind the seats? That looks like a huge job in and of itself. Was there another bit of plastic you are referring to? Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

jhc 03-08-2020 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Hammerist (Post 11016101)
I realize I am asking about a post that is over a year old but I am so frustrated. It sounds like you gained access to the latch which is what I need to do. When you say that you removed the rear plastic, are you referring to all the trim behind the seats? That looks like a huge job in and of itself. Was there another bit of plastic you are referring to? Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

I'd offer to look at my ZR but it's away having some work done. You may be able to gain access by removing the carpeting in the trunk area, (I don't recall). If you can get the tonneau vertical remove all the vinyl to get to the moving parts. Gl!

Declined524 05-19-2020 07:53 PM

Will manualy opening the 5th bow help?

Is your 5th bow opened already? Maybe try accessing the 5th bow motor, put your torx bit in the middle and manually ratchet the motor. Maybe that will help raise it...but it could be locked and prevent any openning.

If that is the case, can you reference the nissan service bulletin on how to "bump" your actuator motor? Maybe they will get it to release if the wire harness is bad.

350ZXLR 03-02-2021 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by 350z-UB (Post 10956031)
The problem I have is that because the 5th bow latch is stuck shut I cannot lift the tonneau lid to take off the cover shown below in the last photo. Under this cover is where the above parts are and those parts are what is causing my roof to not work.
I just need to find a way of opening the 5th bow latch manually and the rest can be sorted. And once this has been done I can stop bugging you all about my roof!
Is there a way of manually opening the 5th bow latch? The picture below shows the rectangular "prong" that is stuck in the latch mechanism.

The service manual has procedures for manually opening the roof starting on page RF-120. I've only read through the procedures and noticed that opening the tonneau manually involves cutting the tonneau bay liner from the cockpit side. Jean-luc Fermer describes his experience in post #9 above and says you don't have to cut the compartment liner. (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...l). If anyone else has done this procedure, please share your experience and help clarify.

-Leland

RSC 03-30-2021 10:49 AM

Leland, you will need a trim puller, remove the back part of the door seals, remove the two bolts that hold in the back of the center console to loosen it, remove two large trim pieces, both the trim around the subwoofer and the speakers which span the width of the vehicle. From here you can see the storage compartment fabric liner up top. You will need to cut it to get in and feel around for the 5th bow latch access panel. It will need to be pried off forcefully (I couldn't get the pins removed from the panel attachment pieces anyways). Once the access panel is opened you can feel a smooth cable and a metal ridgid but fuzzy cable. The unlock cable is the smooth one. Give it a gentle pull and have someone raise the 5th bow. (assuming motor latches are disconnected from the bow at this point.

Warning - I haven't got the 5th bow to fully close at this point. Seems that the half latch that is supposed to work isn't catching when the bow lowers. Likely a spring but diagnosing further as time allows.
​​​

Originally Posted by 350ZXLR (Post 11045351)
The service manual has procedures for manually opening the roof starting on page RF-120. I've only read through the procedures and noticed that opening the tonneau manually appears to involve cutting the trunk liner but the diagram shows the cut in the storage compartment. Jean-luc Fermer describes his experience in post #9 above and says you don't have to cut the compartment liner. (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...l). If anyone else has done this procedure, please share your experience and help clarify.

-Leland

350ZXLR 05-26-2021 06:28 AM

Thanks, RSC. I looked at the manual again and see that the vinyl panel that requires cutting is the front. Sometimes it's tricky to recognize the features in the Service Manual sketches. What I thought was the tonneau cover is actually the 'V' window and headrests. I've edited my previous post to correct the error.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....46727a9a43.png