Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

DAY 2 :Tapping/Rattling/Pinging on Idle and acceleration

Old 05-18-2018, 06:23 PM
DonnieDank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DAY 3 :Tapping/Ticking on engine

Good day everybody,

Let me cut to the chase, I have a Nissan 350Z (2005 model) that is a manual and has 105400 Km /65554 Mi on the clock.
I rarely drive my car hard and always idle before driving.

Last week i had my 105000 km Service by a certified nissan branch that had works done on the following
-checked and road tested
-Adjusted belts
-Reset airbag light

on the invoice the following parts were used
-Gasket sump
-Oil filter
-Oil

My problem is that i took the car for a drive for the first time after the service and about 25min into the drive i noticed a light tapping/rattling/pinging noise while accelerating and while stationary(in gear and in neutral).
This noise got louder the longer i drove , It got to the point that the tapping/rattling/pinging was louder than the cars engine (from what i could hear in the cockpit).
The tapping/rattling/pinging works directly with my rpm , the higher i rev the faster the tapping .
The tapping/rattling/pinging will continue when the car is in idle .

The following day I called Nissan reported this strange noise as the car has never done this before,
they collected my car and had it dropped off the same day
They told me over the phone "They oiled the belts" and that it should sort out the tapping/rattling/pinging .

Took the car for a drive and everything sounded smooth and as per normal up until about 30 min into the drive just to hear this Tapping again, as i continued driving it got louder exactly the same as the 1st time .
I switched my car off for about an 30min and took it out again but to my surprise there was no Tapping/Rattling/Pinging at all .

I tracked the noise and it seems to be coming directly from the upper half of the engine (excuse me guys im not the best with part names) it was coming from above the bar on the engine around the 6 nuts maybe even higher up towards the pipe that bends off to the right.

i dont understand how the Tapping/Rattling/Pinging can just come and go by its self as appose to continuously making the noise every time i started my car and drove.
why does it Tap/rattle and ping sometimes and other times not ?

could it be hydrolic timing chain tensioners or fuel reg solenoid valve ?

if anyone has any answer what it could be please let me know , i will also gladly give more info if needed and can upload pictures and videos if needed .

I have kept my car in excellent condition since i bought it and would hate to see it suffer due to something like this .

Last edited by DonnieDank; 05-20-2018 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Updating
Old 05-19-2018, 04:28 AM
DonnieDank

Default Update

After some more research I don’t think it could be the solonoid or the timing chain as the TICKING is much different to that .

Thinking maybe
-one of the fuel dampers
-one of the lifters

could it be from works done around replacing the gasket sump ?

I have a macanic coming today will update after his evaluation.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:42 AM
DonnieDank

Default Service invoice

Old 05-19-2018, 04:52 AM
DonnieDank

Default Video of Tapping

PLEASE NOTE :After excessive research I know that this cannot possibly be the Fan belt (Please excuse all the talking )

Old 05-19-2018, 07:23 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Noise that is dependant on rpm speed? I really hope it's not rod knock or spun bearings. Why I said this is because my car sounded simular when I bent a rod on my stock motor.

How does your oil look like? Does it have metal shavings or look like glitter? I would drop your oil pan as well and see if you have any metallic pieces.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:32 AM
tmdz

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

HOLY CRAP! That sounds like metal on metal.

Make the mechanic tow it back to his shop to diagnose it.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:16 PM
DonnieDank

What I mean by noise that is dependent on RPM speed is that the noise gets louder as the RPM climes and lowers as the RPM drops but constant ticking when in idle or Neutral but only after 45min of driving he car it seems .

Oil looks clear and lubricated with no glitter or shavings , can I see this from the Dip stick or will I need to drop the pan to be certain ?

Man I really hope it’s not a rod knock or a spun bearing , If I had any of the 2 would I hear it every time I started the car or would it only occur once the engine is heated ?

Im going to take it out tonight to see if I can hear for anything strange after heating the engine up from driving it for 30/45min(hope it’s not shy tonight but also want to drive it carefully Incase it’s a major engine spare .
Old 05-20-2018, 02:21 PM
DonnieDank

Default Update Day 3

The Ticking is now always there on a cold start and whenever the car is in idle .