Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Engine upgrades/other advice needed

Old 05-21-2018, 09:58 PM
StephenM57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine upgrades/other advice needed

Hey, my name is Stephen i'm 18 and i own a 2008 Nissan 350z (paid for it myself, paid for insurance myself, and mostly paid for the gas myself with a little help from my parents occasionally) . I recently got into an accident because some d*ckhead purposely tried to cause a crash because he saw a teenage white boy driving a nice car, and assumed my parents got it for me(which he made obvious later by the comments he made after the crash). Now i have to pay for all of the damages done to my car because i had no way to prove what he did. Anyways the crash cracked the cover to the timing chain, and now the crank won't turn so obviously some internal damage has happened. Took it to a mechanic, and he said i probably cracked a rod which i highly doubt dude just sounded like he was trying to get me to pay him to engine swap. Im thinking the cheapest option would be to just pull my engine myself disassemble it, replace any broken parts, and upgrade some internals along the way since i already have it open, and out. I was wondering if there are any semi cheap upgrades (around 500ish and under just to add a little torque/horsepower/rigidity) thag i should do to the engine/things i might want to replace with a new part while i have it open, or if you think there is a cheaper/better option any advice would be appreciated. Also what are good sites to buy engine parts off of, and i had someone tell me i should machine the engine, any thoughts?
Any help would be much appreciated, also i am new to this site so i apologize for any mistakes made.

Edit: since this post got so much hate I'm going to edit it instead of responding in case someone else views this.
#1 my rotors were warped pretty bad, not saying it caused the breaks to work horribly, but bad enough it was VERY noticable, and caused the z to not brake as good as stock.
I admit that i shouldn't have been driving with them like that, but the braking wasn't HORRIBLE, and i had almost had enough money to replace them, so i thought i could get away with it no problem. The person that i hit had huge aftermarket rotor's, and caliper's. Also there's was a barrier to my right and the lane to my left had cars next to me so i couldnt swerve out of the way.

#2 I'm not saying it was 100% the other guys fault, i although i had decent distance between us, it could have been better, i had someone tailing me hard core and it was a bad decision to get closer to the person in front of me because of it. (Again not horrible distance, just not my normal distance i keep at that speed, again my mistake not denying that) i also should have noticed that they stopped tailing me a couple seconds before the accident had occured.

#3 it was very apparent that he purposely caused the accident based on what happened (do not feel like telling the full story), and based on the fact that after it he laughed at me and said "oh no did you just wreck the sports car you bought with daddies money" and seemed very amused by the fact that my car had a lot of damage, and his vehicle didn't even have a scratch. I'm very well at staying calm in those situations, but my passenger who wasn't almost fought him in the street Because of what he said, and yelled at him because it was so apparent that he caused the crash, i had to hold them back.

#4 i explained the situation to my friend's dad who is a lawyer, and even went so far to have my passenger who was there to tell him what they saw happen just to make sure i didn't "remember what i wanted to remember" if that makes any sense? And to get multiple perspectives of what happened. But our stories more or less matched up, and he said if i could find video evidence (if i would've had a dash cam), or if i had a "non biased" whitness (aka not my passenger, wouldn't hold up in Court) that i almost definitely could have won in court. So to everyone who said "you rear ended him it was 100% your fault" you weren't there, you didn't see it happen, dont just assume.

#5 No we didn't hit that hard, his vehicle didn't have a scratch on it, only reason why mine was so damaged was because he had a tow hitch that missed the crash bar, bumper, and many other components, grazed the top of the radiator, and went straight to the top of the timing cover. Turns out the engine is fine, and even all the timing components (chain, gears, tensioners) are all 100% fine, just had a chunk of metal keeping the crank from spinning over.

Not saying the crash was 100% his fault, i admit that i definitely could have handled the situation better. That doesn't change the fact that he purposely caused it. The ammount of people who just assumed the worst disappointed me, I shouldn't have to explain all this when that wasn't even the topic of the forum.

Last edited by StephenM57; 03-26-2019 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:56 AM
LexD

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you rear-ended someone hard enough to damage your engine I'd say you most likely damaged lots of other stuff too.

In short, no - forget about upgrades. Focus on getting it running, and driving straight again. In your position you should be happy if you ever get to drive the car again.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:09 AM
bealljk

Received 454 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by StephenM57 View Post
because some d*ckhead purposely tried to cause a crash because he saw a teenage white boy driving a nice car, and assumed my parents got it for me(which he made obvious later by the comments he made after the crash)...
First off - stop being a victim and sack-up ... being a crybaby puss will get you A. no where in life and B. 3 post on this forum, you'll call everyone a$$holes and then leave (which is fine by us).

Anyways the crash caused engine damage, and cracked the cover to the timing chain, and now the crank will only turn 180 degrees so obviously some internal damage has happened. Took it to a mechanic, and he said i probably cracked a rod which i highly doubt dude just sounded like he was trying to get me to pay him to engine swap.
If you rear-ended someone, that's YOUR fault, not theirs ... you shouldn't have been driving so close or so fast that you couldn't stop YOUR car...

If you hit someone hard enough to crack your timing chain case and cause internal damage than you were driving WAY too fast and not giving yourself enough room to stop ... this is on you - not the dude you hit.

You've got insurance right? File a claim with insurance and be done with it.

I was wondering if there are any semi cheap upgrades (around 500ish and under just to add a little torque/horsepower)
There is nothing cheap and easy about 500hp ... a legitiment 500hp engine will cost you $15k by the time your done with internals, fuel, FI, ECU, cooling, etc.

if you want 500hp easy and cheap, find a civic

Your best bet will be to find a salvaged car and swap engines with an otherwise OEM engine.

Last edited by bealljk; 05-22-2018 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:11 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 231 Likes on 184 Posts

This is why I have dash cams in my cars, but the Z is the fastest stopping car I've owned (non-bremo brakes on mine)So, I couldn't see someone out braking me that's been in my lane unless they merged into my lane and then slammed on their brakes, but only half of their car made it into my lane(if that makes sense)

^^^ I think they mean $500 not 500hp ^^^ I thought the same thing at first

Last edited by iideadeyeii; 05-22-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:17 AM
SpartaEvolution

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk View Post
There is nothing cheap and easy about 500hp ... a legitiment 500hp engine will cost you $15k by the time your done with internals, fuel, FI, ECU, cooling, etc.

Your best bet will be to find a salvaged car and swap engines with an otherwise OEM engine.

I think OP meant $500, not 500hp. I'm not familiar with the HR motors, but I think the standard advice (plenum spacer) still makes power on the HR motor for less than $500 EDIT: Nevermind, HR has the new plenum design, I thought that started with the VQ37.. Having said that, if you're looking to replace internals to make more power.. it'll cost more than $500 for noticeable gains. Otherwise I completely agree, OP needs to take responsibility for his actions.

OP. we were all stupid teenagers at one point, we've all made mistakes, and we've all tried to make excuses as to why they weren't our fault. That's why your BS story is so easy to see through. If you were following the guy at a safe distance, you wouldn't have wrecked your car, or at least you wouldn't have hit the guy hard enough to damage the block (which, being a front-midship, is actually pretty hard to do). Furthermore, if you could tell that he was looking at you, and for whatever reason he "purposely tried to cause a crash because he saw a teenage white boy driving a nice car", then you should have been more attentive and maybe not driven 70mph behind the guy.

It's unfortunate that you had to learn this lesson the hard way, but it would benefit you to learn from it, and to be more attentive to the cars around you. Maybe convince your parents to pay for a defensive driving class at your local road course!

Last edited by SpartaEvolution; 05-22-2018 at 09:20 AM. Reason: google dropped some knowledge on me
Old 05-22-2018, 01:32 PM
samsniss350z

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

There are two things that just don't go together, they are: semi cheap upgrades and a Nissan 350Z.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:48 PM
bealljk

Originally Posted by SpartaEvolution View Post
I think OP meant $500
gd, I hope so...
Old 05-22-2018, 06:45 PM
Gs_350z

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Forget about the upgrades. You might need that $500 for incidentals to get the engine back to OE spec. Nothing wrong with a NA HR Z. Be safe and learn to anticipate the unexpected. I do and I even drive with the headlights on 24/7......
Old 05-23-2018, 10:27 AM
StephenM57

First off - stop being a victim and sack-up ... being a crybaby puss will get you A. no where in life and B. 3 post on this forum, you'll call everyone a$$holes and then leave (which is fine by us).

If you rear-ended someone, that's YOUR fault, not theirs ... you shouldn't have been driving so close or so fast that you couldn't stop YOUR car...

If you hit someone hard enough to crack your timing chain case and cause internal damage than you were driving WAY too fast and not giving yourself enough room to stop ... this is on you - not the dude you hit.

You've got insurance right? File a claim with insurance and be done with it.

You don't know my full situation. You weren't there so you cant say ****, get off my post if all you're going to do is ***** around. No i wasn't speeding, no i wasn't close to him. I was driving normally. i had warped rotors, and was saving up to fix them so the car didn't break anywhere close to as good as stock. Also i meant costs around 500 not 500 HP. Also no, i didnt even hit him THAT hard, he had a tow hitch which directly hit my engine, and the top of the radiator. So before assuming maybe you should ask instead of being a ********

Last edited by StephenM57; 05-23-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:28 AM
StephenM57

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii View Post
This is why I have dash cams in my cars, but the Z is the fastest stopping car I've owned (non-bremo brakes on mine)So, I couldn't see someone out braking me that's been in my lane unless they merged into my lane and then slammed on their brakes, but only half of their car made it into my lane(if that makes sense)

^^^ I think they mean $500 not 500hp ^^^ I thought the same thing at first
I had warped rotors, made the braking not even close to as good as stock, and the dude had huge rotors, and some nice brakes on.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:33 AM
StephenM57

Originally Posted by SpartaEvolution View Post
I think OP meant $500, not 500hp. I'm not familiar with the HR motors, but I think the standard advice (plenum spacer) still makes power on the HR motor for less than $500 EDIT: Nevermind, HR has the new plenum design, I thought that started with the VQ37.. Having said that, if you're looking to replace internals to make more power.. it'll cost more than $500 for noticeable gains. Otherwise I completely agree, OP needs to take responsibility for his actions.

OP. we were all stupid teenagers at one point, we've all made mistakes, and we've all tried to make excuses as to why they weren't our fault. That's why your BS story is so easy to see through. If you were following the guy at a safe distance, you wouldn't have wrecked your car, or at least you wouldn't have hit the guy hard enough to damage the block (which, being a front-midship, is actually pretty hard to do). Furthermore, if you could tell that he was looking at you, and for whatever reason he "purposely tried to cause a crash because he saw a teenage white boy driving a nice car", then you should have been more attentive and maybe not driven 70mph behind the guy.

It's unfortunate that you had to learn this lesson the hard way, but it would benefit you to learn from it, and to be more attentive to the cars around you. Maybe convince your parents to pay for a defensive driving class at your local road course!
I had warped rotors, so my breaking wasn't even close to as good as stock, and when i saw the way he was acting i was going to switch lanes, but someone boxed me in and i had good distance but i had someone riding my *** so i couldn't have been as far as i had liked with the way he was acting.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:05 PM
bealljk

You don't know my full situation...
All I can say is good luck with life - reality on reality's terms...

i had warped rotors
so YOU rear-ended this guy, driving at a legal speed, with ample stopping distance, not distracted because of warped rotors ... ok man, sure!

Also no, i didnt even hit him THAT hard, he had a tow hitch which directly hit my engine, and the top of the radiator
so the hitch went through your bumper/structural bumper/condenser/radiator/fans/shroud and then proceeded to crack your timing chain case & damage engine internals to the point where the engine wont crank?

How fast were you driving? and you had ample stopping distance? and you had enough reaction time? and this is all bc of warped rotors....rrrrriiiiiiiggghhhhttttttt...
The following users liked this post:
terrasmak (05-26-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 03:18 PM
SpartaEvolution

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

First off - stop being a victim and sack-up ... being a crybaby puss will get you .... post on this forum, you'll call everyone a$$holes and then leave (which is fine by us).
You called it man hahahaha
Old 05-23-2018, 04:29 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 892 Likes on 712 Posts

All I can say is good luck with life - reality on reality's terms...

so YOU rear-ended this guy, driving at a legal speed, with ample stopping distance, not distracted because of warped rotors ... ok man, sure!

so the hitch went through your bumper/structural bumper/condenser/radiator/fans/shroud and then proceeded to crack your timing chain case & damage engine internals to the point where the engine wont crank?

How fast were you driving? and you had ample stopping distance? and you had enough reaction time? and this is all bc of warped rotors....rrrrriiiiiiiggghhhhttttttt...

Ummmmm you don't know the situation, the op was driving with faulty brakes he was saving up to get fixed so it wasn't his fault at all...

Was 90% the other guys fault
And 10% the cars fault

In other news...

if you can guess what I would like pictures of you win a gold star
Old 05-23-2018, 04:31 PM
bealljk

Originally Posted by dboyzalter View Post
Was 90% the other guys fault
omg, I see the light!!!
Old 05-23-2018, 05:44 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Old 05-23-2018, 06:24 PM
StephenM57

Wink

Originally Posted by dboyzalter View Post
warped rotors still brake decently, point is not as good as stock, but good job on trying to be funny ;*
Old 05-23-2018, 06:28 PM
StephenM57

omg, I see the light!!!
Either try to be semi helpful, and not a total d*ck for no reason, or stop replying
Old 05-23-2018, 07:29 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

warped rotors still brake decently, point is not as good as stock, but good job on trying to be funny ;*
better?

Old 05-23-2018, 11:40 PM
bad boyz

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

You just walked into a hornet's nest best to access the damage by your insurance carrier total it and start from scratch,seems like the damage was pretty serious to damage a crankcase regardless how it was damaged,your story just doesn't hold much water so just take inconsideration your talking to car people with a lot of experience,so just embrace the wisdom and come correct if you want some good advice!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine upgrades/other advice needed

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: