2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Aftermarket Reclining Seats: OMP vs Corbeau

Old 07-01-2018, 02:34 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Aftermarket Reclining Seats: OMP vs Corbeau

Been looking at aftermarket reclining seats for the Z. It's come down to either

Corbeau RRX or OMP Design 2

I cannot for the life of me find a picture of either of these seats in a Z. For the OMP seats, i've found several pictures in VW's and Bimmer forums have pictures outside of the car. I've went to HMS motorsports in new england hoping they have some sort of reclining seat to try and sit in but they carry strict track bucket seats. I've been to car shows where I've sat in numerous reclining seats from other vehicles but have not come across these 2 seats yet. Does anyone have experience with these seats IN A Z?

both are bottom mount seats and I would add double locking sliders to both on top of a high mount bracket to sit OEM level (I'm 5'6). The corbeaus have their own sliders and specific vehicle mount. The OMP have sliders also but their mounts are more for side mounted seats and likely require drilling into seat mounting bracket. If i do go OMP i would go Planted for mounting bracket.

Any experience with these 2 model seats? anyone? Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Reclining Seats: OMP vs Corbeau-corbeau-rrx.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2018, 03:53 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Just curious - did you consider the sparco R333?
Old 07-01-2018, 05:00 PM
Bak3rme

I did at first, but the bolster on the thigh looked less than OEM to me. Side and shoulder bolsters look firm but lower half of my body doesn't look too planted.
The following users liked this post:
bealljk (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 09:49 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Yea, I'd agree with you on that. I think they're better than OEM and neither the top or bottom are anything to write-home about. I picked up a set of them for $600 w/sliders & brackets (albeit for an Audi - which I've already sold them) and I see them as a good alternate to an OEM seat but nothing that would sustain you during a track session.

Do you intend to run a OEM seatbelt setup?
Old 07-02-2018, 05:55 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 203 Likes on 150 Posts

I've had a pair of Corbeau CR1 seats installed for about 3 years now after the OEM started leaking yellow fuzz everywhere.

In this entire time, I've experienced little to no issues other than the 4 allen screws holding the bottom of the seat to the bolster just needed tightening about a week ago. Thought about going with a higher priced brand, but so far these have been worth the $$$$ I paid.

Sorry, can't vouch for the RRX but I'm sure the quality will be about the same as mine.
bealljk (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 05:42 PM
Bak3rme

Also considering the RRS now

Hey Bealljk, do you have the Sparco R333? How are the thigh bolsters? Are they huggy wuggy enough? the lower back/shoulder bolsters look ok but the bottom seat looks flat with almost no thigh bolster, that was the main reason i deterred from them. Watched videos of people getting in and out and it seemed fair but hard to find videos where people actually give a solid review. I will run OEM seatbelt setup to begin with and go from there. I find myself having to brace the dead pedal with my left leg pretty hard during right during autox, this could possibly be because of how far back I am sitting. Will try to move seat closer next event and experiment.

Also called up corbeau today and asked them main reason why people choose the RRS vs RRX and its mainly the thigh bolster. The RRX has higher bolsters compared to RRS and some people find it cumbersome to get in and out of their vehicle with the RRX. I think I might of knocked it down to the corbeau RRS vs RRX at this point and looked back at Sparco R333s again.

Last edited by Bak3rme; 07-02-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:30 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Bak3rme
Hey Bealljk, do you have the Sparco R333?
I bought a 'used' set from an Audi guy who installed the driver side and removed it, passenger side was never mounted.

The guy was moving to the Philippines and was selling EVERYTHING he had ... I bought the R333, sparco sliders and sparco A4/S4/B7 bases for $600 all in...I listed the bases on ebay and sold them for $240 (after fees & shipping).

So, I have everything but the bases. Once the paypal transfers through I'll get z33 bases and get them installed.

Post #524 has a pic
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...-build-11.html

I ran a sparco Pro2000 and the bolster were WAY better. The R333 bolster dont seem that significant but these are more just a daily/weekend whip seat.

I'd like to get a carbon seat for when I want to go fast'er...
Old 07-02-2018, 07:13 PM
Bak3rme

Originally Posted by bealljk
I bought a 'used' set from an Audi guy who installed the driver side and removed it, passenger side was never mounted.

The guy was moving to the Philippines and was selling EVERYTHING he had ... I bought the R333, sparco sliders and sparco A4/S4/B7 bases for $600 all in...I listed the bases on ebay and sold them for $240 (after fees & shipping).

So, I have everything but the bases. Once the paypal transfers through I'll get z33 bases and get them installed.

Post #524 has a pic
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...-build-11.html

I ran a sparco Pro2000 and the bolster were WAY better. The R333 bolster dont seem that significant but these are more just a daily/weekend whip seat.

I'd like to get a carbon seat for when I want to go fast'er...
thats a killer deal considering those seats are ~500 for just 1 seat. The Pro2000s are nice but i am trying to stay away from buckets. How do the seats feel initially, like a test sit down since they aren't installed technically yet? They do look like a seat that fits a wide person pretty snug but a skinny person would be a bit loose. I'm 5'6, 160 lbs, 29-30 waist
Old 07-02-2018, 07:52 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

yea - couldnt pass it up and I had the cash...they feel good, I would say they are slightly firmer than an OEM cloth seat. not installed yet, correct.

I'm similar, roughly 5'7" maybe 140lbs 30"-ish waist and I think if I was too much wider I wouldnt fit in them like I do now.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:41 PM
Bak3rme

not sure if anyone has been reading this thread. But just ordered the RRX and will be doing a write up/review with pics once in. Sucks because no one with a Z has detailed pics and full review of corbeau sportline seats. its kinda a shot in the dark for me to get these seats.
Franknbeans (07-06-2018)
Old 06-16-2020, 08:52 PM
Jorge_illz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get these for my 370z.

Originally Posted by Bak3rme
not sure if anyone has been reading this thread. But just ordered the RRX and will be doing a write up/review with pics once in. Sucks because no one with a Z has detailed pics and full review of corbeau sportline seats. its kinda a shot in the dark for me to get these seats.
Kinda late but, any update on the rrx seats in the z
Old 06-17-2020, 05:40 AM
Bak3rme

Originally Posted by Jorge_illz
Kinda late but, any update on the rrx seats in the z
never late my friend! Here is the thread where I installed and did a little review:
https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...ll-review.html

Now since its been a year or more of having those seats I actually swapped out the driver seat for a fixed back seat (Corbeau FX1 pro).
For the review of the RRX seat, I loved them. The only reason I swapped out was because I wanted a seat that could hold me in place on the track. While the RRX was a great seat for a street car, the seat still had a bit to be desired on track (in the aspect of keeping you in place). I still do have the passenger side installed! I would say that the cloth material does hold a lot more lint and whatnot. The cloth is a different cloth from what you would find in an OEM cloth seat. I say the OEM cloth material is of higher quality than the cloth material found in the RRX. I say this because when I am vacuuming the car, I find it some bits of debris like to "stick" to the cloth material more. It traps a bit more debris than the OEM cloth material.

No rips or tears so far on the passenger side seat (although it didn't get as much use as the driver side seat; maybe under 20 hours of passenger seat time since I rarely have a passenger).

Overall I was happy with the RRX seats. Here are some pro/cons I can think of.
PROS:
  • lighter than OEM
  • looks better than OEM (subjective)
  • holds driver in place better than OEM

CONS:
  • You loose your electrical components if you have it (seat heater/electric movement)
  • You loose seat airbags if your OEM seats are equipped with it
Happy to answer any other questions you might have!

Last edited by Bak3rme; 06-17-2020 at 05:42 AM.