Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

350z Buying Questions/New Member

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 04:25 AM
EEVEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z Buying Questions/New Member

So im a new member and a 350z recently popped up on facebook, It is a black 350z for 4k and she doesnt know the year, the body has 200k miles and the engine was changed in 2010 with an engine that had 95k miles and she has no clue what miles it even has. My question is simple would it be worth buying? It is a manual trans and it does not run currently, It will turn over but not fire up due to a check engine light code u1000 and she had a friend hook up a scan tool and said that code, He said it could be a ground wire that came loose. Thats whats making me lerious on this car is it doesnt run so i cant drive it and see what could be potentially wrong with it. Should i take the chance and buy it or leave it?

The wheels doesnt come with it so idk if she has the stock ones or not im gonna go and check it out later for myself and see the whole story here... I mean its a 350z with a manual trans those are rare to come by for this price imo but the thing that is warning me away is the fact it doesnt run and it has 200k on the body and i cant drive it and see what other issues will pop up. She is apparently the second owner and owned it for a year. i dont have a gut feeling yet on this lol so maybe it isnt as bad as im making it sound?
Old 08-06-2018, 05:35 AM
Kylo

The VIN number will give you the year. Ask her for a picture of it.

You're basically buying a car that doesn't drive.

I would hold out. (I actually am currently holding out.) lol.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:46 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by EEVEE
So im a new member and a 350z recently popped up on facebook, It is a black 350z for 4k and she doesnt know the year, the body has 200k miles and the engine was changed in 2010 with an engine that had 95k miles and she has no clue what miles it even has. My question is simple would it be worth buying? It is a manual trans and it does not run currently, It will turn over but not fire up due to a check engine light code u1000 and she had a friend hook up a scan tool and said that code, He said it could be a ground wire that came loose. Thats whats making me lerious on this car is it doesnt run so i cant drive it and see what could be potentially wrong with it. Should i take the chance and buy it or leave it?

The wheels doesnt come with it so idk if she has the stock ones or not im gonna go and check it out later for myself and see the whole story here... I mean its a 350z with a manual trans those are rare to come by for this price imo but the thing that is warning me away is the fact it doesnt run and it has 200k on the body and i cant drive it and see what other issues will pop up. She is apparently the second owner and owned it for a year. i dont have a gut feeling yet on this lol so maybe it isnt as bad as im making it sound?
If you have to ask this question, NO.

I mean c'mon man, the key to buying ANYTHING is knowing provenance or at least some history, right? You'd like to know that the cookie jar you're putting your hand into contains delectable choco chip cookies and not irritable-cuz-they're-stuffed cookie eating spiders, right?

Back away.... quickly. Unknown anything.... 200k miles..... and its still over a thousand dollars?? Really?
Old 08-06-2018, 06:57 AM
EEVEE

True True thats why i was gonna go atleast look at it to see whats up with it. But again 200k miles is a turnoff and she seems firm with the price. And doesnt run.....
Old 08-06-2018, 07:32 AM
achampagne

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You do have a lot of leverage tho for negotiations. You could say its not worth 4000 with so many unknowns. She might drop the price a lot, or get all the information you need to sell it at 4000.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:46 AM
EEVEE

thats what i was hoping for honestly lol.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:20 AM
Chihuahuamaster

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Honestly, you could probably find a running/ driving car with less miles for what it would cost you to purchase this one, and fix it. Although it looks relatively clean from the pictures, you never know. If the engine was changed, and is now not working, perhaps it wasn't done correctly.

If it is an 05-06 model, it could have oil burning issues. The oil pressure may be dangerously low. The clutch may be non-functional, or it may grind gears. There are too many unknowns without being able to start/ drive the vehicle.

If you are still interested in it after considering all of the possible issues, I'd say go look at it, but do not purchase it then and there. Give it a thorough inspection, then decide if you want to take the risk of purchasing and fixing the car. As I stated, there could be chain-reaction costs making the car just not worth the hassle.

-Also you see the rear turn signal housings are either aftermarket, or modified with LED's, this could be a cause of it not starting, (wiring issues). Another thing to look for...

Last edited by Chihuahuamaster; 08-06-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:13 AM
EEVEE

yep well some more pics came through it is a 2004

And yes she said she put some in but seems to not drive it much its driven occasionally and i would assume the engine coulda been done right is it was done in 2010 and still ran until now but then again shoddy work could be to blame...... I mean it looks clean but then again so did one of my dads cars and it was a pos underneath. well in an hour or so im gonna go look at it id say a good 60 mile round trip would do my jeep good lol.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:53 AM
k0kong

4k seems rather high for a 200k 2004 base model 350z with aftermarket modifications. For someone who dressed the car up, it seems rather suspicious that she knows nothing about the vehicle and even went as far as putting a new motor in and not run.

to put in perspective, I paid 5.2k for an 07 HR touring from Georgia with full service history, completely stock.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:46 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,062 Likes on 750 Posts

$4,000 for a non-running car with 200K on the body without seeing it in person...

Buy it! It's only money. What's the worst that could happen?
Old 08-06-2018, 12:06 PM
EEVEE

Welp i spoke with her and seen it. It is in decent shape for a florida car tho it has 214k miles and the engine has 95k written on it, She said the dealer put the engine in and has new cooling fans, radiator, new cam and crank sensor, brakes and rotors but sadly doesnt come with the rims so gotta scrounge some up and when i hooked my code reader into it it says p1610 so a security fault. Says the ecu could be bad or bad ground. There has also been a new lsd put into it but when i turn they key on the fans come on. Is that normal? and i noticed the security light come on (i cant remember if it was flashing or solid but i think it was solid). From a perspective of looks it isnt bad but it could be hidden bugs. She said she went out of town for a while and came back and it wouldnt start. but lowest she will take is 3k.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:07 PM
EEVEE

comes with keyfobs and spare keys too, I couldnt really look into it being the heat is intense today and i was baking in direct sunlight lol
Old 08-06-2018, 02:07 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

There's a reason it was so hot today. You're about to enter HELL if you buy this car without a thorough inspection and some idea of what it'll take to fully repair it. Also, no wheels or tires, and you've gotta find some? Run, don't walk away from this deal...
Old 08-06-2018, 03:04 PM
EEVEE

coming to terms i am im used to looking at cars and giving chances but this looks major and expensive to do if im not assuming correctly plus i cant find rims for it anyways well lug pattern atleast, I tried lol maybe ill find another Z like this but runs with wheels. In florida theyre either ragged on, modded to utter hell and unreliable and or is an automatic lol. this one looked nice but looks arent everything
Old 08-09-2018, 12:21 AM
bad boyz

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

If you can get her to go 3k with the wheels and tires maybe could make a go of it but if not definitely walk away real fast,but if you have the time there is always a better deal out there just have to be patient.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:00 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by k0kong
4k seems rather high for a 200k 2004 base model 350z with aftermarket modifications. For someone who dressed the car up, it seems rather suspicious that she knows nothing about the vehicle and even went as far as putting a new motor in and not run.

to put in perspective, I paid 5.2k for an 07 HR touring from Georgia with full service history, completely stock.
Please give more details on the 07. I am considering selling my 08 and selling it for MUCH more than 5.2k. Mine is also mint condition with only a little over 70k miles
Old 08-09-2018, 06:03 AM
k0kong

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
Please give more details on the 07. I am considering selling my 08 and selling it for MUCH more than 5.2k. Mine is also mint condition with only a little over 70k miles
It has 100k miles, serviced at Nissan dealerships and indys in Georgia with receipts.
On the test drive, it drove great, clutch was replaced recently and felt perfect. no grinds or shutters, no vibrations at speed. Has new tires and brakes within the year. I got the car on the lift to baseline fluids and the transmission fluid was just changed within the year, old fluids came out gold.
Being in NY, a rust free example is also very rare, and this car has never seen snow.
Inside, the Interior door, vent, and waterfall trims need restoration.
Exterior, the rear has a slight ding from someone tapping with their license plate, front is perfect, headlight restored after i got it.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:06 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ

How bout details on yours.......
Old 08-09-2018, 12:09 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by eZg
How bout details on yours.......
Looking for a clean Z? PM me
Old 08-10-2018, 02:22 PM
EEVEE

ohhhhh that is beautiful, Silver? if so when my taxes hit i may pm ya lol

Quick Reply: 350z Buying Questions/New Member