Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Talk me into Keeping a 15 year old Brickyard Touring

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 05:45 AM
philliesfan1992

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like you already know you want to get rid of it. I can’t see spending $20,000 versus fixing the z for perhaps $200 or so as a financial gain.

The Infinti will deprecate just like the z, cars are just deprecating assets. Some rare cars can gain value but that’s fewer and far between.

Why not just keep the z as weekend car and get rid of the Jeep? Then have the Infiniti as a daily and winter vehicle...
The following users liked this post:
bad boyz (08-28-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 08:18 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I say keep the Z. The Brickyard is such a beautiful color and it is obvious you have taken good care of it over the years. I'm 74 so slightly older than you, but I still love driving my Z. I have the manual and have had my left knee replaced and so my clutch control is not quite what it used to be. But I am keeping the Z and still love driving it. My Z is also a 2003 model.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:00 AM
Desert Z

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I say give the Z a refresh of sorts so that it "feels" different. Find something intuitive about the car that appeals to your senses that will improve your experience. Maybe it's a new steering wheel, new struts or a new seat. It's out there you just have to ask your inner car nut and it will answer. Trust the inner car nut.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:39 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

I say keep it and get the Q50 if you really want it. I think the Z is worth more to you than it would be to trade it in. The dealership gave me a Q50 (I think it was the 3.0t sport) when they had our M35x for the takata airbag recall for a few days and, while it was very fun, it did not check the same boxes as the Z.

A wise man once said, "When you turn your car on, it should return the favor." IF the day comes when the Z stops doing it for me, it will be a sad day.

Of course, this is coming from a two-person, 4-car family and I got my driveway extended in order to accommodate them so I might not be completely rational
Old 08-27-2018, 09:47 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Don't pull money out of an appreciating asset for a depreciating asset.
The following users liked this post:
Desert Z (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 01:27 PM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't quite get the whole, "I just not willing to sell my car privately, and I'm not getting what I want as a trade in."

Dealers suck big donkey dix. They almost NEVER give you what your trade in is worth. But if you are not going TRY and sell it, I don't see why you would complain??

Maybe CarMax or a broker??
Old 08-28-2018, 07:21 AM
The Swede

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Here's a crazy thought:

Put the 20g into the Z. Imagine the BEAST you'd get outta that!
Old 08-28-2018, 01:29 PM
Franknbeans

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

LOJ Conversions. 20k will get you a LS3!
Old 08-29-2018, 05:30 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

I was in a similar situation last fall with my 2008. Now, 9 months later, I can tell you I made the right decision, at least in my opinion.

I live in NY, so I feel your pain with the bad weather and such.

For a few years, here and there, I had beaters that I would use in the winter. But the last 2 winters I only had my Z and my motorcycle, so the Z was my only choice in the winter. As weird as this sounds, I just felt bad for the car in the winter. It is getting up in age, although mine is only 10 years old, and just the crappy weather mixed with horrendous NY roads, I could tell it was starting to take a toll on my Z. I considered for months selling her and getting a brand new car. I was looking at the Shelby GT350R, Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio, and the BMW M3. Clearly all would be MASSIVE upgrades to the Z. But then I though to myself... I'm basically going to be in the same situation as I am now, RWD sports car and motorcycle as my only options. Then I considered the Q50 Red Sport AWD. But would I be willing to give up that third pedal? I have been driving stick since my first car, and to be honest, I don't think I am ready to give that up.

Since the Z is paid off, and the insurance is surprisingly cheap, I figured the cost of keeping it is minimal. I could just save some money and lease something decent. I was considering a regular sedan with AWD or a small SUV, and I have always been a fan of pickup trucks, so I figured, why not? Leased a RAM 1500 with the Blackout package.

Now I have the choice of my Ducati or Z in good weather and I have my RAM for bad weather, need space, or going a long distance (it is SOOOO COMFORTABLE, it's basically a Hemi powered couch!)

Here is how I look at it. When you talk to older car guys, they will all tell you they have that 1 car that they regret getting rid of. The bond that I have created with my Z feels almost unbreakable. I have treated her good for the last 10 years and they has been amazing to me. Yea, I barely drive her now, but when I do, she still puts a huge smile on my face.

That is my recommendation, if you can afford it of course. Keep the Z and lease a car you can easily afford. At the end of the day, what is $4,000? Is that what you value a car you have learned to love? Think how you would feel in 1 year, would you miss your Z?

Last edited by SQuaLZ; 08-29-2018 at 05:32 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SQuaLZ:
khnitz (08-29-2018), MicVelo (08-29-2018), SPM350Z (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 09:24 AM
dynamic21

Financials aside, there's no good reason I can come up with to keep that trash DE motor in your driveway lol. Unless you're buying the new toy using a significant amount of your net worth, which would take a special kind of stupid to do, then I think it's a great move.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:19 AM
jpeterferrell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're interested in selling it as it sits now to a private party, send me a message! I adore that color, and so long as it's a 6MT, I'm very interested...
Old 08-30-2018, 12:33 PM
SQuaLZ

Originally Posted by dynamic21
Financials aside, there's no good reason I can come up with to keep that trash DE motor in your driveway lol. Unless you're buying the new toy using a significant amount of your net worth, which would take a special kind of stupid to do, then I think it's a great move.
DE is not a trash motor. Yea, maybe stock it cannot compare to a stock HR, but the amount of available aftermarket parts for it is insane. I sometimes hate the fact that I have a HR. If I had a DE I would have probably been boosted by now, but instead I put those funds into 2 motorcycles and now a RAM lol.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:54 PM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by dynamic21
trash DE motor.
Said no one ever
Old 08-30-2018, 03:18 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
DE is not a trash motor. Yea, maybe stock it cannot compare to a stock HR, but the amount of available aftermarket parts for it is insane. I sometimes hate the fact that I have a HR. If I had a DE I would have probably been boosted by now, but instead I put those funds into 2 motorcycles and now a RAM lol.
Somehow I got the impression he was kidding.

Or maybe not.... then, oooooooo....

Old 08-31-2018, 05:17 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Uummm he did say "Lol" so ya'll can unbunch your panties.....
Old 08-31-2018, 05:54 AM
SQuaLZ

Originally Posted by eZg
Uummm he did say "Lol" so ya'll can unbunch your panties.....
Reminds me of Talladega Nights...

Ricky: “With all due respect, Mr. Dennit, I had no idea you’d gotten experimental surgery to have your ***** removed.”

Dennit: “What did you just say to me?”

Ricky: “What? I said with all due respect!”

Dennit: “Just because you say that doesn’t mean you get to say whatever you want to say to me!”

Ricky: “It sure as hell does!”

Dennit: “No, it doesn’t–”

Ricky: “It’s in the Geneva Conventions, look it up!”
Old 09-01-2018, 09:25 PM
dynamic21

I owned an 03 Z, I liked it for it's reliability. The good days when "oil gallery gasket" and "CSC" weren't in my vocabulary. Again though, I just don't think you're going to miss it. It's not like you're trading it in for a Camry. I took a fun trip to Mexico last week and saw a Q50S with a simple flash tune obliterate an E85 335i (N54). I know that this thread is intended for arguments in keeping your Z, but come on. If you can only afford to own one of them - for me, it's a no brainer.

Close that chapter in your life, cherish the memories of your Z, and move on. Again, this is all under the assumption that this is an easy move for you financially, because I'd be singing a much different song if someone was trying to go into debt for a Q50s or pulling more than 30% of their savings to do so lol. That's just me though.

Most importantly... Remember, it's just a trash DE motor anyway. DUMP IT! LOL. I kid I kid...

Last edited by dynamic21; 09-01-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:01 PM
coneslayer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the Z. It is sportier than that Infinity boat.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:02 PM
coop3422

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Car payments suck, having paid off vehicles is the way to go. That said, I totally get the rationale of missing a car once selling it, that was my s2000. My Z is nice, but it's not the same.

As for the Infiniti, I'm a big fan. My winter/adventure vehicle is an EX35 and I think Infiniti is some of the best value out there in the sporty luxury segment. That said, I'd be aiming for that sweet 3.0T personally.

Life is short, buy what'll make you happy. I'm considering selling both my rides and picking up a 2011+ BMW X3 and going back to just 1 vehicle. Although I'd be paying cash, there's nothing out there that compels me enough to take on a car payment again. A GLA45 seems cool, but I realistically don't need it.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:26 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

So? After all this.... what's the decision from the OP???

People gotta close their threads.... especially on things like repairs and such. "What was the solution?!?!" I say that jokingly but seriously, would love to just go out and nuke any threads that are left hanging with no closure. Useless so might as well.... Ehhhh.