MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Talk me into Keeping a 15 year old Brickyard Touring (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/620247-talk-me-into-keeping-a-15-year-old-brickyard-touring.html)

AX8 08-24-2018 02:54 PM

Talk me into Keeping a 15 year old Brickyard Touring

Getting the itch...
Wanting something more luxurious
Looking at Used Infiniti Q50 Sport, AWD ( It snows here )
In the Mid $20,000 price range with 25,000 to 30,000 miles.

Here's the trade in... 89,000 miles - hatch struts tired, passenger window temperamental, CD player skips, and a few speakers on fritz...

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....034f3d9ff4.jpg
No dealer has offered more than $5,000 for it, in fact, $4,000 to $4,500 is it so far....
I have zero patience to curb it and sell myself, just won't do it.

The Z runs great, is a blast to drive, I'm in my mid 50's, so, is it time to move on ?

Convince me what to do Z Community, Thanks, Be Honest, I'm really on the fence here..

Will coughing up $20K to go into a 12 year newer sedan really make feel better ?

philliesfan1992 08-24-2018 03:03 PM

Nothing is better than having no car payment. Keep the z and enjoy it for years to come. Each month put $300 away that you would’ve spent on the Infiniti. Then you can pay cash in a couple years for something and have a large down payment.

Those issues you stated are fixed for under $200. You can buy improved hatch struts from z1. Your speaker is problably cutting out bc of the bose amp, this is fixed for free with some time and paper. Install and aftermarket head unit with Bluetooth and updated oem window motor.

AX8 08-24-2018 08:27 PM

Agreed, nothing like a paid off car. I'd be tapping into home equity to pay the difference.

It makes little sense to me to put even a penny into the Z since its value is so sadly low, and going lower fast.

December through March, basically a third of the year, the Z just clutters the Driveway.

I have a 45 minute commute, 32 miles one way, 75% Highway, Z does not get driven in snow or ice conditions, have a Wrangler for Winter and soft top down Summer fun in the Sand.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....461c37795.jpeg

AX8 08-24-2018 08:37 PM

Here's the unit I'm trigger happy for

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....6cdd40c8ce.jpg

Would also have this Wrangler for really bad snow days and Summer Topless Beach Blasting

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....022be2a801.jpg

Stop me, or encourage me ?

bad boyz 08-24-2018 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by philliesfan1992 (Post 10969491)
Nothing is better than having no car payment. Keep the z and enjoy it for years to come. Each month put $300 away that you would’ve spent on the Infiniti. Then you can pay cash in a couple years for something and have a large down payment.

Those issues you stated are fixed for under $200. You can buy improved hatch struts from z1. Your speaker is problably cutting out bc of the bose amp, this is fixed for free with some time and paper. Install and aftermarket head unit with Bluetooth and updated oem window motor.

This statement is so,so true keep the Z fix the minor hiccups and enjoy, save the car payment money maybe invest it and gain some return over a few years then decide if you really want the Q50 It's good though your keeping it in the same family I'd even test drive one to see if it even meets my expectations, if I still want one once I saved up a good amount of money I would sit back and let the deal come to me and wait for a steal!!

bad boyz 08-24-2018 10:55 PM

I had the opportunity to drive the Q50t the turbo was quite awesome should consider this one as well, almost sporty as the Z!

travlee 08-25-2018 03:50 AM

I say do it.... nothing really to lose from it,

AX8 08-25-2018 04:25 AM

Hey Trav, Got this same question out there in a CFOT thread " Need AdviSe - Work Car..."

U R the first to say " Go fo it " both here and there so far.

I'd only be losing like $22,000 dollars out of savings... But, you only live once, I've got at least another 7 years of work commuting to do..

Keep the input coming folks !

terrasmak 08-25-2018 10:34 AM

The young me says get the newer car, the older me says keep driving.

Z is paid off, Jeep is paid off and only a few more months on the minivan. I plan to driver everything till the wheels fall off. I did have a hub sheer on the Z, pretty close, fixed and kept driving.

I did want another car, turn the Z to track only without plates, and get a hybrid as a 3rd daily driver.

tmdz 08-25-2018 10:44 AM

15 years old - So it’s a 2003? Aren’t the 2003 brickyards really rare?

Spike100 08-25-2018 10:58 AM

I am facing the same dilemma you describe, but with slightly more complexity:
  1. My care has more mileage (129K).
  2. I have a couple of small rust spots (below driver door key and corner of driver side rear quarter panel).
  3. I need to replace the clutch assembly.
If it weren’t for the rust on my car, I would definitely do the other repairs and keep the car. However, because the car is showing some rust points, I assume there are others coming.

I would say you should keep your car. You have an unusual and rare paint and the 350z is a universal design that will look good 20 years from now.

d21x 08-25-2018 05:51 PM

You only live once! If you're financially stable and can afford it do it!

travlee 08-25-2018 06:27 PM

Hell i toy with idea of getting rid of the vette, it was always a dream to own one ...had it 3.5 years now and that is around the time i dump cars and move one to something different

mr. sparco 08-25-2018 09:49 PM

How's your back? Is it a pain to get in and out of the Z? Sometimes I find it annoying to get in and out of my "sporty" cars especially after a long day at work, where I want to just step into something more comfy instead of a noisy, low to the ground, somewhat stiff ride with a cheap interior.

AX8 08-26-2018 03:35 AM

You make a good point mr. sparco, you really do...

My back is fine, but yes, on some less refined roads my kidneys do get slapped around quite a bit while experiencing every road undulation, pot hole patch, and frost heave....

Spike100 08-26-2018 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by mr. sparco (Post 10969600)
How's your back? Is it a pain to get in and out of the Z? Sometimes I find it annoying to get in and out of my "sporty" cars especially after a long day at work, where I want to just step into something more comfy instead of a noisy, low to the ground, somewhat stiff ride with a cheap interior.

You nailed it. No way to describe my feeling about the Z than what you just posted. :thumbup:

mr. sparco 08-26-2018 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by terrasmak (Post 10969557)
The young me says get the newer car, the older me says keep driving.

Z is paid off, Jeep is paid off and only a few more months on the minivan. I plan to driver everything till the wheels fall off.

Same here, xyz paid off, a few more payments on the van. The younger me psychologically needs the sporty cars to stay sane, the wife on the other hand, "you will drive your cars to the ground."

MicVelo 08-26-2018 07:03 PM

Gee whiz guys..... I don't ever want to hear you guys makin' fun of my age again!!! "Owwwwwww, it hurts to get into a small sporty car wahhhhhhhh... boohooooo" Wow, you guys need to go join the Chrysler Cordoba Rich Corinthian Leather forums.... :icon17:

Shoomakan 08-26-2018 08:41 PM

Coincidentally, I have a Z33 and my father has a Q50S. Completely different experiences, but the Q50 is sporty enough to not miss the Z if you're starting to get second thoughts about it. We have the RWD variant so I can't really tell you how the AWD handles.

I'd do it, but I'd get the 3.7 over the 2.0T. Sure fuel economy will take a hit, but it's a gem of a motor (that you're already somewhat familiar with).

MicVelo 08-27-2018 03:05 AM

OK, here’s the thing.... Q50S is a great car. I even considered one recently; a Red Sport (scoots right along) but more likely, the couple year old CPO (lease return) Q50S Hybrid (also scoots right along faster than my Zs except for Z34N, and gets good mileage).

But....

It’s not the same as a Z.

Consider...

Where you “wear” a Z like a track suit, you merely drive a Q while wearing shorts and a polo shirt. Comfy yes.... exciting and ready to do an American Ninja Warror run, not so much.

Where you late brake, turn in, and punch out of a corner with your right foot just short of or slightly breaking the rear tires loose (assuming you’ve turned off TCS) and then they grab asphalt and you shoot out of the corner looking at the next corner entry, is now merely a computer controlled ho hum turning experience. Competent? Sure! Emotional and fun? Only so so.

Where people take notice of you in your Z and think “nice car” (because you don’t see a lot of them on a daily basis), in a Q50, people that do notice you think/say, “nice car... so where to for lunch, guys?”

My $.02.... Only you can decide yourself between what’s slowly going away as a truly fun driving experience with a little less convenience and function and trading off for a competent but not quite soul stirring mode of transport. I decided to do BOTH when/if I ever free up some space for a “practical” car that I don’t need to wear.

And after the short couple of modestly paced but fun parade laos (no challenge) on the track yesterday, not a chance I’m gonna get rid of my 33! (Something I gave thought to as I ground 3rd gear the other day in stop/go traffic on the way to Laguna Seca.)

Good luck deciding.

philliesfan1992 08-27-2018 05:45 AM

It sounds like you already know you want to get rid of it. I can’t see spending $20,000 versus fixing the z for perhaps $200 or so as a financial gain.

The Infinti will deprecate just like the z, cars are just deprecating assets. Some rare cars can gain value but that’s fewer and far between.

Why not just keep the z as weekend car and get rid of the Jeep? Then have the Infiniti as a daily and winter vehicle...

KornerCarver 08-27-2018 08:18 AM

I say keep the Z. The Brickyard is such a beautiful color and it is obvious you have taken good care of it over the years. I'm 74 so slightly older than you, but I still love driving my Z. I have the manual and have had my left knee replaced and so my clutch control is not quite what it used to be. But I am keeping the Z and still love driving it. My Z is also a 2003 model.

Desert Z 08-27-2018 09:00 AM

I say give the Z a refresh of sorts so that it "feels" different. Find something intuitive about the car that appeals to your senses that will improve your experience. Maybe it's a new steering wheel, new struts or a new seat. It's out there you just have to ask your inner car nut and it will answer. Trust the inner car nut.

Heel Til I Die 08-27-2018 09:39 AM

I say keep it and get the Q50 if you really want it. I think the Z is worth more to you than it would be to trade it in. The dealership gave me a Q50 (I think it was the 3.0t sport) when they had our M35x for the takata airbag recall for a few days and, while it was very fun, it did not check the same boxes as the Z.

A wise man once said, "When you turn your car on, it should return the favor." IF the day comes when the Z stops doing it for me, it will be a sad day.

Of course, this is coming from a two-person, 4-car family and I got my driveway extended in order to accommodate them so I might not be completely rational :D

iideadeyeii 08-27-2018 09:47 AM

Don't pull money out of an appreciating asset for a depreciating asset.

eZg 08-27-2018 01:27 PM

I don't quite get the whole, "I just not willing to sell my car privately, and I'm not getting what I want as a trade in."

Dealers suck big donkey dix. They almost NEVER give you what your trade in is worth. But if you are not going TRY and sell it, I don't see why you would complain??

Maybe CarMax or a broker??

The Swede 08-28-2018 07:21 AM

Here's a crazy thought:

Put the 20g into the Z. Imagine the BEAST you'd get outta that!

Franknbeans 08-28-2018 01:29 PM

LOJ Conversions. 20k will get you a LS3!

SQuaLZ 08-29-2018 05:30 AM

I was in a similar situation last fall with my 2008. Now, 9 months later, I can tell you I made the right decision, at least in my opinion.

I live in NY, so I feel your pain with the bad weather and such.

For a few years, here and there, I had beaters that I would use in the winter. But the last 2 winters I only had my Z and my motorcycle, so the Z was my only choice in the winter. As weird as this sounds, I just felt bad for the car in the winter. It is getting up in age, although mine is only 10 years old, and just the crappy weather mixed with horrendous NY roads, I could tell it was starting to take a toll on my Z. I considered for months selling her and getting a brand new car. I was looking at the Shelby GT350R, Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio, and the BMW M3. Clearly all would be MASSIVE upgrades to the Z. But then I though to myself... I'm basically going to be in the same situation as I am now, RWD sports car and motorcycle as my only options. Then I considered the Q50 Red Sport AWD. But would I be willing to give up that third pedal? I have been driving stick since my first car, and to be honest, I don't think I am ready to give that up.

Since the Z is paid off, and the insurance is surprisingly cheap, I figured the cost of keeping it is minimal. I could just save some money and lease something decent. I was considering a regular sedan with AWD or a small SUV, and I have always been a fan of pickup trucks, so I figured, why not? Leased a RAM 1500 with the Blackout package.

Now I have the choice of my Ducati or Z in good weather and I have my RAM for bad weather, need space, or going a long distance (it is SOOOO COMFORTABLE, it's basically a Hemi powered couch!)

Here is how I look at it. When you talk to older car guys, they will all tell you they have that 1 car that they regret getting rid of. The bond that I have created with my Z feels almost unbreakable. I have treated her good for the last 10 years and they has been amazing to me. Yea, I barely drive her now, but when I do, she still puts a huge smile on my face.

That is my recommendation, if you can afford it of course. Keep the Z and lease a car you can easily afford. At the end of the day, what is $4,000? Is that what you value a car you have learned to love? Think how you would feel in 1 year, would you miss your Z?

dynamic21 08-29-2018 09:24 AM

Financials aside, there's no good reason I can come up with to keep that trash DE motor in your driveway lol. Unless you're buying the new toy using a significant amount of your net worth, which would take a special kind of stupid to do, then I think it's a great move.

jpeterferrell 08-30-2018 11:19 AM

If you're interested in selling it as it sits now to a private party, send me a message! I adore that color, and so long as it's a 6MT, I'm very interested...

SQuaLZ 08-30-2018 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by dynamic21 (Post 10970017)
Financials aside, there's no good reason I can come up with to keep that trash DE motor in your driveway lol. Unless you're buying the new toy using a significant amount of your net worth, which would take a special kind of stupid to do, then I think it's a great move.

DE is not a trash motor. Yea, maybe stock it cannot compare to a stock HR, but the amount of available aftermarket parts for it is insane. I sometimes hate the fact that I have a HR. If I had a DE I would have probably been boosted by now, but instead I put those funds into 2 motorcycles and now a RAM lol.

iideadeyeii 08-30-2018 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by dynamic21 (Post 10970017)
trash DE motor.

Said no one ever

MicVelo 08-30-2018 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ (Post 10970122)
DE is not a trash motor. Yea, maybe stock it cannot compare to a stock HR, but the amount of available aftermarket parts for it is insane. I sometimes hate the fact that I have a HR. If I had a DE I would have probably been boosted by now, but instead I put those funds into 2 motorcycles and now a RAM lol.

Somehow I got the impression he was kidding.

Or maybe not.... then, oooooooo....

eZg 08-31-2018 05:17 AM

Uummm he did say "Lol" so ya'll can unbunch your panties.....

SQuaLZ 08-31-2018 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by eZg (Post 10970195)
Uummm he did say "Lol" so ya'll can unbunch your panties.....

Reminds me of Talladega Nights...

Ricky: “With all due respect, Mr. Dennit, I had no idea you’d gotten experimental surgery to have your balls removed.”

Dennit: “What did you just say to me?”

Ricky: “What? I said with all due respect!”

Dennit: “Just because you say that doesn’t mean you get to say whatever you want to say to me!”

Ricky: “It sure as hell does!”

Dennit: “No, it doesn’t–”

Ricky: “It’s in the Geneva Conventions, look it up!”

dynamic21 09-01-2018 09:25 PM

I owned an 03 Z, I liked it for it's reliability. The good days when "oil gallery gasket" and "CSC" weren't in my vocabulary. Again though, I just don't think you're going to miss it. It's not like you're trading it in for a Camry. I took a fun trip to Mexico last week and saw a Q50S with a simple flash tune obliterate an E85 335i (N54). I know that this thread is intended for arguments in keeping your Z, but come on. If you can only afford to own one of them - for me, it's a no brainer.

Close that chapter in your life, cherish the memories of your Z, and move on. Again, this is all under the assumption that this is an easy move for you financially, because I'd be singing a much different song if someone was trying to go into debt for a Q50s or pulling more than 30% of their savings to do so lol. That's just me though.

Most importantly... Remember, it's just a trash DE motor anyway. DUMP IT! LOL. I kid I kid... :icon44:

coneslayer 09-02-2018 03:01 PM

Keep the Z. It is sportier than that Infinity boat.

coop3422 09-04-2018 02:02 PM

Car payments suck, having paid off vehicles is the way to go. That said, I totally get the rationale of missing a car once selling it, that was my s2000. My Z is nice, but it's not the same.

As for the Infiniti, I'm a big fan. My winter/adventure vehicle is an EX35 and I think Infiniti is some of the best value out there in the sporty luxury segment. That said, I'd be aiming for that sweet 3.0T personally.

Life is short, buy what'll make you happy. I'm considering selling both my rides and picking up a 2011+ BMW X3 and going back to just 1 vehicle. Although I'd be paying cash, there's nothing out there that compels me enough to take on a car payment again. A GLA45 seems cool, but I realistically don't need it.

MicVelo 09-05-2018 01:26 AM

So? After all this.... what's the decision from the OP???

People gotta close their threads.... especially on things like repairs and such. "What was the solution?!?!" :icon8: I say that jokingly but seriously, would love to just go out and nuke any threads that are left hanging with no closure. Useless so might as well.... Ehhhh.

AX8 09-05-2018 03:11 AM

Update:

Suspended the replacement of the Z Activities.

Too much life left in this old Brickyard to let it go.

The Q50: while newer, luxurious, AWD, can carry more passengers, has sunroof, tech gadgets, it... As stated above... " Lacks Soul "

You see nothing but car Ads on TV, and I've gotten nothing new in 4 years, oh well, I'll get a new Skateboard or something to satisfy my need for something new.

Appreciate the Feedback from everyone ! Gonna Keep it longer.....

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....1d929a092.jpeg

travlee 09-05-2018 03:58 AM

good for you.

SPM350Z 09-05-2018 06:04 AM

This was the right decision....good on you man...enjoy the hell out of the Z for......EVER. :)

MicVelo 09-05-2018 07:07 AM

Biased opinion aside (hardly, laff....), your Z, while needing this or that, is a solid car. I truly believe you'd miss it if you sold it. (Especially seeing all these Zs on CL and such that are just trash, ugggh.) To this day, I have NOT seen a Brickyard in my neck of the woods since I moved here 5 years ago and if I did, there'd be an immediate thumbs up!

Trust me, I still miss the Zs I parted with in 1982. Kind of explains the madness now. :thumbup:

Don't get me wrong, the Q50S may find a place in my garage one day as well. Those are the key words, "as well" as or "next to" my 33.

bad boyz 09-06-2018 12:01 AM

Smart move to this day I really miss my 77" 280Z I had no choice but to let him go, blown engine by no fault of my own let him run dry! I was young and would of Loved the opportunity to save him and rebuilt him but at the time had no space to store him I watched as he was towed away(sob)now I just have pictures to remind me of the good times we had together,he was my first entry into this world of Z-cars and at that point I couldn't never let it go without rekindling that same relationship with my 2006 Z33 with all the power invested in me death do we part !!!!

818dbz 09-12-2018 03:15 PM

Im in the same boat. Im gonna get a 4 door civic soon because I have 2 kids and starting to get knee pain from the stiff ass clutch. Ive drove other z's but mines is REALLY stiffer.

still contemplating on keeping or selling. I would need to fix the dings and repaint. Not sure if its a good idea to throw 3-5k in it.

frenzee 09-12-2018 10:19 PM

Everyone has different demands and expectations from their car, so it's impossible to come up with an answer that suits everyone. If it's just getting from point A to point B, sell it and let someone else enjoy that beauty. If you want it to get you to work, AND you want to be able to enjoy the back roads and canyons on weekends, AND you want to be able to totally humiliate that kid in his ricer EVO or that stuffed suit in his 4-series 4-banger (LOL) Bimmer on the freeway on-ramp, well I think you know what you need to do. One thing I would recommend is actually drive your intended new(er) car for a couple of days and see how you like it. A few minutes in a test drive just isn't enough time to tell how the car "fits" the driver. You can rent most models on Turo and it's not that expensive.

Whatever you decide and whatever you end up driving, my advice is this: Take good care of your car. Don't skimp on maintenance or minor or even cosmetic issues that can easily be fixed. The cost is usually minuscule compared to a new car's depreciation. You do that and you car will always be your loyal servant and she will offer you countless hours, days and years of pure driving pleasure.

I too am in my 50's and I sold my track PPW about 8 years ago, thinking something newer & better would eventually come along. Well, nothing "better" ever did come out, not from Nissan nor anyone else in my opinion, and I've regretted the decision to sell it ever since. Honestly, tell me how may cars can you name that come, out of the factory, with Aluminum sheet metal, carbon fiber drive shaft, Aluminum suspension parts, Brembo brakes, super light forged 18" Rays, rock solid manual gearbox, NA engine, etc. About a dozen maybe? OK, now how many of those are also extremely reliable, very affordable and cheap to maintain and insure? Yeah, not many - or none.

I can't replace my Z now, but I've been eyeing an NA 991.1 C2S or a 991.1 GT3 or 997 GT3 or possibly an M2 for the past few months, and I can afford anything up to low 100's, but honestly nothing I've driven so far compares to or impresses me as much as my old Z did, plus I can't daily drive them, except maybe the M2.

AX8 09-13-2018 02:47 AM

Everything stated above is pure Wisdom. Totally Agree about the extended multi day Test Drive before purchase concept !

The Fun Factor I get for 35 to 45 minutes each way before & after work, and for 20 to 40 minutes on the lunch break far outweighs any little annoyances of driving a 15 year old Z that just turned 90,000 miles yesterday.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's time they took to give their opinions and share their experiences.

frenzee 09-14-2018 12:17 AM

Glad you think that way. I would add that at 90,000, your Z is just breaking into her prime. I think if you have it professionally detailed, inside and out, remove that damn orange peel from both bumpers, polish and ceramic coat the whole car, add a nice set of wheels and maybe a head unit and and a proper exhaust. How much would all of that add up to? A couple thousand? Peanuts, I say. You do that and I think not only it will turn heads anywhere you take her, but every morning as you open up the garage door or walk up to it you won't bale to hold back a wide grin ;)

Boss been grumpy and customers been giving you a hard time all day? Wait til 5:00p and grab the Z's keys. Wife been nagging you all day? Grab the keys. North Korea about to drop the big one on us? Get the keys.

I sold mine at 128k. The car had not one squeak or rattle, not one drop of oil leak, not a single minor or major issue during that whole time, except the gearbox which was replaced (twice) under warranty, but it was a first-generation car and it was expected. Have a look at my album. Most of those pics were taken just before I sold her.