MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Turn signal/seat belt warning/headlight on warning speaker (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/620330-turn-signal-seat-belt-warning-headlight-on-warning-speaker.html)

DeusExMaxima 09-03-2018 01:04 PM

Turn signal/seat belt warning/headlight on warning speaker

I noticed my turn signal click and my seat belt warning and headlight warning buzzer worked only when the temperatures were cooler. Although that buzzer can be annoying, if you leave your headlights on, you want to know that you did. Also I have left my turn signals on because I don't hear the clicking sound most of the time.

I did some research and there has been some discussion on the topic. But it seemed unclear as to what the solution was.

one of the first things I did was make sure my BCM connections were a good which they were. It seemed as though the buzzer working or not was temperature related. In other words, when the temperatures were cold it seemed to work. I figured maybe it was a wire connection that would expand when the temperatures got hot and would contract when the temperature cooled off.

I remove the instrument cluster because the sound seem to come from there and some of my research seem to indicate that the buzzer or beeper was located somewhere within the instrument cluster. To remove the instrument cluster you unscrew four Phillips screws and pull off the ignition switch trim. This exposes four 10 mm head bolts. When you remove those bolts the instrument cluster pulls away from the dash. There is a trim piece that covers the back of the dash and that just pulled away by hand.

The buzzer is located at the top in the middle of the back of the cluster. It's about three quarters of an inch in diameter and is black with a hole in the middlehttps://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....7832533f22.jpg

Pointer shows the buzzer

I noticed whrn I tapped on the buzzer that it would work. I could actually hear it very faintly all of the time but when I tapped on it, it got louder. I think the only way to fix the problem would be to replace this thing which would be difficult. I think part of the problem is that it is a bit delicate and the Sun beats down on it a lot.

I noticed that it still works intermittently but I'm not really sure if there's any way to solve it without replacing it. Hopefully this clears up a bit of mystery as to the turn signal clicker, seatbelt off warning, and headlight on warning

khnitz 09-04-2018 04:37 AM

If you tap on it and it starts working, it may just be a cracked solder joint for the chime. Reflow the solder joints with a soldering iron and it may clear up the intermittent/temperature-dependent behavior.

rancor 09-04-2018 07:03 AM

When reflowing a joint ether use flux or add a small amount of new solder as a way to add flux. If the buzzer is through hole it should be the easiest kind of replacement for someone unfamiliar with soldering.

Make sure your using a electronics solder preferably with a no clean flux.
If you need to replace the part a lead free desoldering braid and a solder sucker would be highly recommended / needed.

DeusExMaxima 09-04-2018 10:29 AM

I considered resoldering but in order to have access to the back of the circuit board, all the gauge needles would have to come off and the gauge faces would have to be removed. I didnt want to deal with calibrating the gauges or risk damaging the gauges. Also, I believe there is some circuitry inside the piezo-electric buzzer, so all of the solder joints would have to be checked for integrity and perhaps resoldered. I fiddled with the piezo-electric buzzer and it has been working since yesterday afternoon consistently, although there is a fair chance that it will stop working. The alternative is to wire in a piezo-electric buzzer in the circuit.