Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I just dont know what to do anymore....

Old 09-19-2018, 01:50 PM
Anthonypalacio

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I just dont know what to do anymore....

Alright guys ive been experiencing hard starts for way too long now, my car has to crank way too much before it starts, and when it does turn over its sounds crazy with the car struggling. And on top of that i recently installed new spark plugs and the car is having a hard time getting in to any gear passed the 3rd. mind you its an automatic.

what ive done to the car:

recently installed spark plugs, NWP throttle body, cleaned the MAF and got a new key from the dealership.

Also got a brand new battery like a year ago, and fuel pump like 2 years ago and camshaft sensors as well like a year ago. And ive done all the appropriate computer resets as i changed the parts.

Seriously im just done man and i have 10 days till i have to make a 9hr drive back to base... please help
Old 09-19-2018, 05:50 PM
philliesfan1992

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles are on the z?

Does it ever sit for long periods of time while you’re deployed?
Old 09-19-2018, 07:02 PM
onevq35de

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

How did the car run prior to... "recently installed spark plugs, NWP throttle body, cleaned the MAF and got a new key from the dealership." ?

If everything was fine before these things you need to go back over what you've done. Did you disconnect the battery prior to unplugging the MAF or throttle body?

It sounds like you've got either a fuel delivery problem OR an "ecu doesn't know what the hell's going on cause freakin Antny done forgot to plug something back in" problem.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:07 PM
Anthonypalacio

Originally Posted by philliesfan1992
How many miles are on the z?

Does it ever sit for long periods of time while you’re deployed?
97,900 and i just got back it sat for 6 months with the car being turned on every week and moved rarely
Old 09-19-2018, 09:09 PM
Anthonypalacio

Originally Posted by onevq35de
How did the car run prior to... "recently installed spark plugs, NWP throttle body, cleaned the MAF and got a new key from the dealership." ?

If everything was fine before these things you need to go back over what you've done. Did you disconnect the battery prior to unplugging the MAF or throttle body?

It sounds like you've got either a fuel delivery problem OR an "ecu doesn't know what the hell's going on cause freakin Antny done forgot to plug something back in" problem.
prior to all the recent work the car would still crank forever before starting. And yes the battery was disconnected before all the work was done.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:20 AM
onevq35de

Oh, so not Antny's fault. So, it was fine before 6 moths ago Saturday? It's started every week, so who's starting it? Your little brother with a "need for speed" maybe?
If it was fine when you stopped driving it 6 months ago and now all of a sudden it's not, maybe old bad gas, fuel delivery OR the person watching the car did something.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:44 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

My guess is that you need to do a throttle relearn with the new NWP. The ecu has to learn the new throttle, since its calibrated to the oem one. You can look up the procedure on here in the forum.

Another place to look is the coilpack plugs that hook to the wiring harness. A lot of folks switch out cylinder 4 and 6 plugs, causing rough idle and operation (Possibly hard starts as well).

Last edited by BluestreamDE; 09-20-2018 at 03:45 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:17 AM
onevq35de

"recently installed spark plugs, NWP throttle body, cleaned the MAF and got a new key from the dealership."

"prior to all the recent work the car would still crank forever before starting. And yes the battery was disconnected before all the work was done."

The issue was there before the throttle body.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:47 AM
Anthonypalacio

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
My guess is that you need to do a throttle relearn with the new NWP. The ecu has to learn the new throttle, since its calibrated to the oem one. You can look up the procedure on here in the forum.

Another place to look is the coilpack plugs that hook to the wiring harness. A lot of folks switch out cylinder 4 and 6 plugs, causing rough idle and operation (Possibly hard starts as well).
i did all the relearn procedures for the throttle body provided by NWP And im 100% sure the that all was pluged in in the correct order
Old 09-20-2018, 05:46 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

I'd question whether fuel pressure might be an issue. The fuel pressure regulator in a VQ should maintain some pressure in the lines at all times. If not, it'll take time to built pressure and get the engine to start.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:05 AM
Trayn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stupid question, when was the last time you put gas in the car? Is it running on the gas that has been sitting there for 6 months?
Old 09-20-2018, 09:28 AM
khnitz

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Building on dkmura's comment on fuel pressure, does it start any faster if you cycle the key a few times first, before trying to start the car. This would allow the fuel pump to prime a few times and build up pressure in the lines (if fuel pressure is the issue). If it starts faster after trying that, then you have something else to look at (fuel pressure regulator).

Note: I am basing this on the behavior of other vehicles I own and am more familiar with, that cycle the fuel pump for a few seconds with Ignition On. I'm not familiar enough with my Z yet to know that it also does this. For example, our 2005 Volvo V70R starts easier if we hesitate for a second between Ign On and Start positions when turning the key - it gives the fuel pump time to build pressure (this is something I'll fix, eventually).
Old 09-20-2018, 09:47 AM
Anthonypalacio

Originally Posted by Trayn
Stupid question, when was the last time you put gas in the car? Is it running on the gas that has been sitting there for 6 months?
ive filled it up like 2 days ago its not running on old gas
Old 09-20-2018, 09:52 AM
Anthonypalacio

Originally Posted by khnitz
Building on dkmura's comment on fuel pressure, does it start any faster if you cycle the key a few times first, before trying to start the car. This would allow the fuel pump to prime a few times and build up pressure in the lines (if fuel pressure is the issue). If it starts faster after trying that, then you have something else to look at (fuel pressure regulator).

Note: I am basing this on the behavior of other vehicles I own and am more familiar with, that cycle the fuel pump for a few seconds with Ignition On. I'm not familiar enough with my Z yet to know that it also does this. For example, our 2005 Volvo V70R starts easier if we hesitate for a second between Ign On and Start positions when turning the key - it gives the fuel pump time to build pressure (this is something I'll fix, eventually).
I never really payed attention to that but yes, usually at some point after a few cycles the car would turn on faster and not crank as much
Old 09-20-2018, 12:18 PM
khnitz

OK, so next time, cycle the ignition a few times (without attempting to start it), and then cycle on again and try to start it...see if it catches quicker than without the additional cycles.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:45 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Did you ever figure out what happened?
Old 09-22-2018, 12:48 PM
Anthonypalacio

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
Did you ever figure out what happened?
not yet me and my boys are working on checking the sensors and going over all the parts we installed to see if we messed up on anything
Old 09-28-2018, 08:28 AM
Anthonypalacio

Default Fixed

Originally Posted by khnitz
OK, so next time, cycle the ignition a few times (without attempting to start it), and then cycle on again and try to start it...see if it catches quicker than without the additional cycles.
It turned out to be the fuel pump.... i refused to believe that was the problem since i had already changed it and didnt think it would go bad so fast. But I appreciate all of you guys who tryed to help. 🙌🏼👍🏼
The following 2 users liked this post by Anthonypalacio:
blufc3s (10-03-2018), khnitz (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 08:29 AM
khnitz

Glad to hear you got it sorted out! And thanks for posting the resolution, too.