MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Exhaust? Muffler Delete or Cat Delete? No budget. (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/620542-exhaust-muffler-delete-or-cat-delete-no-budget.html)

Kevin Skene 10-01-2018 02:25 PM

Exhaust? Muffler Delete or Cat Delete? No budget.

Lol.

I deserve hate for even making this thread, but my question is genuine! Read on.

Currently I am NA with stock headers, test pipes, Y pipe (dual 2.5" to single 3"), then 3" open out the back. I welded in a "Vibrant Performance 'Ultra Quiet Resonator'" - It didn't do ****.

I want to quiet this trumpet down while still keeping performance gains over a completely stock exhaust system (after tuning).

-Open exhaust and stock muffler?
-Or stock exhaust and no muffler?

I'm open to having conversations about different exhaust kits that are available. But my whole thing is being able to drive the car around the track without ear plugs in.

It's not a street driven car, it's not a show car, it's a drift car that cares more about weight reduction than anything else. However, i'm not getting a Tomei because they're too brittle.

MicVelo 10-01-2018 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Skene (Post 10973348)
Lol.

I deserve hate for even making this thread, but my question is genuine! Read on.

Currently I am NA with stock headers, test pipes, Y pipe (dual 2.5" to single 3"), then 3" open out the back. I welded in a "Vibrant Performance 'Ultra Quiet Resonator'" - It didn't do ****.

I want to quiet this trumpet down while still keeping performance gains over a completely stock exhaust system (after tuning).

-Open exhaust and stock muffler?
-Or stock exhaust and no muffler?

I'm open to having conversations about different exhaust kits that are available. But my whole thing is being able to drive the car around the track without ear plugs in.

It's not a street driven car, it's not a show car, it's a drift car that cares more about weight reduction than anything else. However, i'm not getting a Tomei because they're too brittle.

The Vibrant didn't do jack because a resonator's primary purpose is NOT noise cancellation - that's the job of a real muffler. A resonator tones down high pitches, rasp (to a degree) and unusual harmonics in the exhaust. Since it's for track use only, I would recommend that you consider a single rear muffler, perhaps a Super Trapp, and tune it with the disc dampers. Start with the full pack and work your way down 'til it's quiet enough.

Something like: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...3019/overview/

Kevin Skene 10-01-2018 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by MicVelo (Post 10973351)
The Vibrant didn't do jack because a resonator's primary purpose is NOT noise cancellation - that's the job of a real muffler. A resonator tones down high pitches, rasp (to a degree) and unusual harmonics in the exhaust. Since it's for track use only, I would recommend that you consider a single rear muffler, perhaps a Super Trapp, and tune it with the disc dampers. Start with the full pack and work your way down 'til it's quiet enough.

Something like: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...3019/overview/

Good advice. God damn those seem restrictive..not a bad call though.

MicVelo 10-01-2018 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Skene (Post 10973353)
Good advice. God damn those seem restrictive..not a bad call though.

Not restrictive.... SuperTrapps have been helping racers (cars AND bikes) tune for nearly 50 years. Good stuff. I ran STs on my race cars even before they enforced noise limits at Laguna/Sears. Used them more for tuning than for noise abatement - but that was a happy side effect.

bad boyz 10-01-2018 11:01 PM

Yea! Mic I remember them being used mostly on motorcycles just like you said you could remove the disk in the very back or add more disk to tune the pipe to your specifications and performance!!

MicVelo 10-02-2018 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by bad boyz (Post 10973380)
Yea! Mic I remember them being used mostly on motorcycles just like you said you could remove the disk in the very back or add more disk to tune the pipe to your specifications and performance!!

Yup, they started on bikes and to this day, are still pretty standard fare on race bikes (some may know of their other product line, Kerker.) Have not seen one on a street car in some time but do see them at Laguna Seca (which, oddly enough, does NOT enforce sound limits any longer.)

Counterintuitive they are.... the more discs bolted on, the louder they get. What?? Seems like it should be the opposite but they way they're designed, an "open muffler" (no discs) is the quietest configuration. And interestingly, you can hear the difference between, say 3 discs versus 4 discs, despite them being a mere couple/few mm's thick each. "Whack but works." :icon17:

iideadeyeii 10-02-2018 01:00 PM

On old 4cyl car's that I wanted a cheap exhaust with no rasp and deep tone(not obnoxious) I would buy a cheap cherrybomb muffler(used as resonator installed backwards) cheap high flow universal cat and a cheap straight through muffler