Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension issues after someone hitting my parked car?? Loud noise and squealing

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 01:31 PM
Brooke Baker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Suspension issues after someone hitting my parked car?? Loud noise and squealing

So...…. my baby was parked in a driveway, on an incline, wheels slightly cut to the right. Family member guns their car in reverse (2018 BMW) and sideswiped drivers door and straight on back. Working on estimates and in process of driving to one estimate my car starts making a loud squealing noise. Some noise is def coming from brakes now but there is a secondary screeching noise when turning or reversing. The initial adjuster said there's no way damage could be from a stationary accident. Any help or opinions please
Attached Thumbnails Suspension issues after someone hitting my parked car?? Loud noise and squealing-37788b77-f0ec-4063-8bbe-9f4eaeb07efe.jpeg   Suspension issues after someone hitting my parked car?? Loud noise and squealing-37933168-4192-4a49-93b6-95539e3aa106.jpeg  

Last edited by Brooke Baker; 12-01-2018 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Adding pics
Old 11-30-2018, 05:42 PM
Chihuahuamaster

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

If the rear wheel was hit, it could have knocked your alignment out of spec.

Perhaps you have too much toe in, which is causing the inner tire to come into contact with the shock or body?

As for if the caliper/ brakes are sticking or locking up. You could place the car on 4 jack stands, in the air, and put it in reverse, to let the wheels spin. Then visually inspect the caliper, and wheel in motion, to see if you can replicate the noise, or see any abnormal movement.

It wouldn't hurt to try and shake the rear wheels, while the car is on stands, to check the wheel bearing. I dont know if this will help you discover the problem, but it could be a start.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:09 AM
Brooke Baker

Thank you for the guidance. It’s the opposite side of the car where it was hit. my car was cherry. All oem. I’m discussted that this idiot messed her up. Still working on a body shop I feel comfortable with for the body repairs.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:22 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Honestly, so many of these threads ask questions that ONLY someone with hands on can answer. There is no "standard/FAQ" forum answer where vehicle damage is concerned. Put it up on a rack and look.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:59 AM
Brooke Baker

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Honestly, so many of these threads ask questions that ONLY someone with hands on can answer. There is no "standard/FAQ" forum answer where vehicle damage is concerned. Put it up on a rack and look.
I’m aware that it needs to be looked at and I am doing so as well. My concern was the insurance adjuster telling me this wasn’t possible from a stationary hit. From my experience that sounds ludicrous. The pull on the suspension could easily damage it. SO, I wanted a general opinion from personal experience not a diagnosis of my car. Yes I’m a noob, and a girl but I have owned multiple Z’s. I can take care of basic repairs and maintenance on my car. I do not however have a friend or anyone else for that matter that I can ask “Hey, does that sound right to you”. So I am part of this community because 1. I LOVE my car and will only drive a 350 and 2. I trust the responses I get from here. I’ve only lost one z to the flood so I have no personal knowledge to pull from in this scenario. I don’t want to pay for this fender bender even more so down the road.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:22 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Brooke Baker
I’m aware that it needs to be looked at and I am doing so as well. My concern was the insurance adjuster telling me this wasn’t possible from a stationary hit. From my experience that sounds ludicrous. The pull on the suspension could easily damage it. SO, I wanted a general opinion from personal experience not a diagnosis of my car. Yes I’m a noob, and a girl but I have owned multiple Z’s. I can take care of basic repairs and maintenance on my car. I do not however have a friend or anyone else for that matter that I can ask “Hey, does that sound right to you”. So I am part of this community because 1. I LOVE my car and will only drive a 350 and 2. I trust the responses I get from here. I’ve only lost one z to the flood so I have no personal knowledge to pull from in this scenario. I don’t want to pay for this fender bender even more so down the road.
Brooke, let me make something clear here. My comment has ZERO to do with being a newb nor gender based. Just saying that having someone with the right tools/apparatus could probably look at the car for five minutes and diagnose the damage/cause of squealing better, easier, faster. Having a better vantage point could reveal scuff marks that tell the story, find bent pieces of hardware, etc.

I'm not the guy who is telling you off. Trust me on that one. Apologies if it came off wrong.

Now, on the insurance people, yeah, they have their opinions but in the end, the facts of the story are what you're standing behind and they haven't a right to deny coverage (if that's the issue) based on their opinions. This is your family member's insurance company, yes? In any event, if your family member is owning up to it (they have to be for them to refer you to their insurance company, right?), to hell with what the insurance adjuster says. They need to fix it! Completely and to your satisfaction with guarantees of quality down the road (part of which is on the repair shop). Demand it.

I lost a Z recently to an errant driver (mine was also parked). Insurance did their best to pay me less than bluebook. I documented the car's provenance, pointed to the at-fault driver's statements, and ultimately they paid out 4x what they were offering. They're trying to protect themselves and minimize liability, understandable. But facts are facts. Your family member hit you. No other fault unless they're denying it. That's a whole 'nother story.

Good luck with the repairs!

Last edited by MicVelo; 12-03-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:57 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Hi Brooke. I don’t agree with your insurance adjuster when he says “there's no way damage could be from a stationary accident.” The damage in your photo shows a “side-swipe” that could result in brake, caliper, or suspension damage if the tire or wheel is struck, or even if the car is moved from the hit.

I agree with Mic. Your best path is having a technician examine the car. --Spike